cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do the ROG keyboards make noise?

luckydriver
Level 7
i have an old g75v and its really getting too heavy for my lap (10 pounds). im on it from 4 to 14 hours a day (working at home for now) . my left leg has actually starting having issues. so i need something lighter. i see newer ROG are just 6 pounds so hopefully that would help. I read this review:

The Zephyrus S17's optical-mechanical keys offer a uniquely tactile experience. Unlike the membrane keys of most laptop keyboards, these emit subtle yet high-pitched clicking sounds when pressed.

and it scared me. my old machine makes zero sound when i type on it. also i have what i consider normal keys but i see in some laptops they are membrane or other different things. theres no way i want any clicking when i type on any machine. so do the new machines click at all?
12 REPLIES 12

xeromist
Keep in mind that weight, noise and performance are pretty much intertwined. It's a matter of physics. More performance means more heat to dissipate. More heat means either heavy heatsinks or noisy high speed fans. If you need lower weight you will have to settle for less performance or more noise. Pound for pound you will get more performance than your old machine so it's just going to depend on how demanding you are. If you just want lower weight you might be able to settle for something on the lower end of the thin and light performance spectrum and still have a quiet machine. But if you want lightweight and high performance (by today's standards) it's going to be noisy at full tilt.

You might find that for lightweight tasks the system can downclock to effectively perform like a lower performance laptop but anytime you want to take advantage of the full performance you will be limited by either the size of the heatsinks or the speed of the fans.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

i just want the same performance as my old machine

the below comparisons seem to indicate ill be improving with the LG gram. i'm assuming CPU and graphics card are what determine how fast videos get converted. i use pytivo to convert and move stuff from laptop to tivo very heavily and my current machine has no issues at all. also i use AVC to convert videos. as long as i have at least the same performance as before, i'm good. dont need more. just lighter weight

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-3630QM-vs-Intel-Core-i7-1165G7/626vsm1195374

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-670M-vs-Intel-Iris-Xe/m7956vsm1268515

xeromist
Yes, compared to a g75 I think you should have no problem finding something more portable with equivalent performance. I wouldn't rely on Iris graphics for serious gaming but if you just need something simple integrated graphics are massively better than 5 or 10 years ago. Certainly for office tasks and HD video playback it will be more than enough.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…