cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do the ROG keyboards make noise?

luckydriver
Level 7
i have an old g75v and its really getting too heavy for my lap (10 pounds). im on it from 4 to 14 hours a day (working at home for now) . my left leg has actually starting having issues. so i need something lighter. i see newer ROG are just 6 pounds so hopefully that would help. I read this review:

The Zephyrus S17's optical-mechanical keys offer a uniquely tactile experience. Unlike the membrane keys of most laptop keyboards, these emit subtle yet high-pitched clicking sounds when pressed.

and it scared me. my old machine makes zero sound when i type on it. also i have what i consider normal keys but i see in some laptops they are membrane or other different things. theres no way i want any clicking when i type on any machine. so do the new machines click at all?
12 REPLIES 12

gomrobps
Level 7
All keyboards will make some noise. However, most membrane laptop keyboards are relatively quiet, including the one in my Zephyrus Duo SE.

Of course, it should be noted that this is my opinion and your millage may vary depending on what you're doing.

I would also recomend getting a desk if you can. Ergonomics are very important and you're bound to get more benefits from getting everything in the right place than from buying a new computer. (Unless you are talking about pain from carrying around your laptop.)

RedSector73
Level 12
Most premium brands incorporate tactile feedback (noise+sensation) in the keys. Generally, they use cherry MX switches (because these are the best). The colour of these switches determines the level of feedback. You would be after MX red or pink (silent versions) most use brown.

Also, OP (luckdriver) I dont see why you need to create new posts for same line of questions. My old g75v --- bla bla, they are all the same line of questions so you only really need one thread, don't you think ?

do you mean there is a quiet Zephyrus if i choose a pink version? i wasnt aware of the different color versions. that would be awesome. i found a youtube video of the Zephyrus 17 keyboard and holy cow. that takes a special kind of person to be able to ignore that loud noise. i dont have that skill. it would also drive my gf nuts sitting next to me while we watch tv. the CIA should use those keyboards to torture people

I think that OP is talking about laptop keyboards instead of discrete mechanical ones. And I agree, this should've been a single post.

gomrobps wrote:
I think that OP is talking about laptop keyboards instead of discrete mechanical ones. And I agree, this should've been a single post.

My bad, your right, laptops have kinda copied the noise, TUF version might be the quietest ones or vivo. If noise matters. If your old enough remember typewriters, well lets say I like the noise/feedback and not go there.

this video explains exactly what i cannot stand. nor can i understand why anyone would want that much noise. it would def keep me awake though lol. im trying to find the definition of the type of keyboard the g75v had but not having much luck. then i can just buy the same type.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6JdAPd0lPI

edit: found one description of my current keys "The freely placed keys measure 15x15 mm. They have a comfortably quiet click and a decent pressure point (the stroke could have been stronger)."

but i still dont hear them click.

luckydriver wrote:
this video explains exactly what i cannot stand. nor can i understand why anyone would want that much noise. it would def keep me awake though lol.

Yeah I dont use a computer to fall alseep. Maybe your use case is different to mine?

That video is poor as well you can hear the mic getting reverb in the recording which makes it sound a lot worse than real life use. If your not locked down and can visit in store before purchase I would be doing that first if this is big issue for you.

https://rog.asus.com/keyboards/keyboards/aura-rgb/rog-strix-flare-pnk-ltd-model/
Light tactile feedback without audible click

i think i'm getting close. but that only seems to be in desktop keyboard. gotta find the pink laptop

edit. found this review which i found funny "Asus ROG Strix Scar 15 - The worst gaming laptop keyboard ever
Discussion

This laptop has a clicky "mechanical" keyboard. It's also a gaming laptop. I think that a clicky keyboard is the worst possible switch type you can choose for gaming. In shooter and driving games it's absolutely terrible. Every time you want to move or turn slightly: CLICK, CLICK, CLICK. It throws off my driving and movement incredibly effectively, to the point where I suck, just because of the keyboard."

https://www.lg.com/us/laptops/lg-17z95n-g.aas9u1-ultra-slim-laptop

incredible that its 3 lbs. only flaws i see are no ethernet. (can get thunderbolt to ethernet adapter) very limited expandability, glossy screen (amazon has a protector for it) and possibly some kind of clicking on the keys. no replaceable battery either. the iris video blows away my old nvida according to a comparison site i checked as does the i7-1165G7.

i did a test last night with an old dell vostro weighing 5.5 lb and its a very noticeable difference on my lap. so lighter is def better for me. i looked at alienware but too many complaints about noisy fans