cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do RoG laptops include Microsoft Office and AntiVirus?

jamreal18
Level 7
As title said, do these laptops have free softwares?
6 REPLIES 6

Clintlgm
Level 14
NO, you might get a trial that's about it.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Sm4sh3D
Level 7
You get a trial of Office and a trial of McAfee (1 month each)

Korth
Level 14
Apache OpenOffice is basically a clone of Microsoft Office 365, it has all the very same apps and components, it can open and save all MS Office document formats, it's actively supported, it's available for all the popular platforms (Windows/linux/Android/OSX/etc), it's fully opensource, and it's completely free.
To be honest, I seriously wonder why any person (or any company) would ever pay for MS Office - and for all of Microsoft's various arbitrary licenses and restrictions and subscription periods and usage limitations - over and over again, lol.

AVG Antivirus is free for 30 days and will cost you nothing more than an email address to register/(re)activate every 365 days.
It's often my preference on Win7/Win8 systems because - unlike the free/trial versions of Avast! and McAfee and Kaspersky - it can be configured to quietly do it's automated chores on the System Tray and never bother you in any way unless it happens to detect a threat.

If a computer comes with free software then use the free software until it's no longer free or no longer worth using. Then remove it and install free (and better!) alternatives. It's not an important consideration when purchasing a system - in fact, 99% of us would do better by uninstalling whatever "value bundled" bloatware the manufacturers pre-install onto every system.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
"https://www.openoffice.org/"To be honest, I seriously wonder why any person (or any company) would ever pay for MS Office - and for all of Microsoft's various arbitrary licenses and restrictions and subscription periods and usage limitations - over and over again, lol.

Because anyone that deals with a lot of MS Office documents that has tried using Open / Star / Whatever Office will tell you is that their document format support for try MS document rendering sucks. You will get documents that don't look as they are supposed to, and / or you will sent documents that don't look like you thought they did.

If you are not a 'power' office user and just create and consume basic documents / files you may never notice.

For instance, I would never ever consider sending my resume to an employer on a doc that was created in Open Office... not unless it was tested against the last 5 versions of Word, and at that point... just use MS Word.

I don't consider Open Office acceptable for any professional communication whatsoever, because if the document isn't viewed as intended it may very well come across as you knew what the document looked like, thought it was acceptable, and sent it.... unless of course you know that person is using Open Office as well, but then you shouldn't use an office / office xml format. I wish it were otherwise.

Back to the OP, another option is Google Drive. Sign up for a gmail account and you get it for free. They have there own office suite with off line editors etc. I use it for my personal stuff, and all docs are always available on all of my devices, easy to share and collaborate with as well, MS office doc support as well, but also crappy.

joshindaphils
Level 11
jamreal18 wrote:
As title said, do these laptops have free softwares?

I lieu of freebies with the laptop just use MS Security Essentials for AV. It is 100% free and solid. Completely unobtrusive unlike most others, as well as not a resource hog. So long as MS offers this up for free there is no good reason to purchase AV protection in my opinion (unless you need a central management tool i.e. not for personal use).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

For Office, well I am not a fan of any of the free / open source suites out there. I do recomend Office 365 though. It is cheap (I spend far more on coffee a month for instance) and I hear rumblings that the personal offering comes with unlimited storage, not sure where that is at, I use a business plan. No largish upfront cost and the added 'cloud' benefits.

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
LaTeX <---link

Z