cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defective G75, Now broken G75

BrokenWing
Level 7
.Greetings Gamers,

Thanks in advance for reading this. I know some of you are really saavy. I really could use some help and support. In short, I bought a G75 four months ago. It was defective. They would not replace it. They “repaired” it and it was damaged in return shipping. Asus wants to repair it again. I want a new computer. Here are the details.

4 months ago I bought a G75VW RS-72. I’m not a “gamer”, I bought it because of its great matte screen and backlit keyboard. I have 2 eye implants. Screen critical. I thought it was overkill but fell in love quickly. The problem being, after 3 months I could NOT get it working properly. I never transferred 1 file from my disintegrating fastly failing old Dell.

From the get-go things were screwy, documents saved into music, printer wouldn’t work, flash player conflicted, something always conflicting. Day 3 or 4 had first recovered graphic controller crash. Spent hours and hours each day... sometime 6. Would get ‘locked out’ of system control panel, computer, explorer. You name it. Fix one thing and something else go wrong or have to do restore and lose all settings. Finally get things to save where I wanted and next thing I knew they were saving in music again.

I’m not a geek, but not stupid either. Perhaps I should have reported problems sooner. Retailer tried to help. Switch from XP to 7 frustrating. Kept thinking I could sort things out.

Guy who runs library system computers said I should pack it up and get a new one. He did that for his Dad.

Two months pass. Still having problems and issues. Still haven’t transferred files from old computer. Printer still not working. Phone Asus want a replacement. They say no replacement, only repair. Made very clear I would be paying shipping and any “user induced” problems. I decide to do clean install.

While learning how to do that and making notes and game plan for quick set up graphic controller starts doing full system crashes. Have 4 of them. I phone Asus. They make new repair order and say they will pick up. No charge. I discover Event Logs with critical administrative errors back to BEFORE I owned it, before the retailer installed 7 Pro update. I rewrite long detailed, highlighted and bolded letter listing all problems, including errors.

It was almost 3 months by then. I cleaned it. There wasn’t a fingerprint on it. It looked like the day it had arrived. I packed it in the large box with all the original styro and bubble pack the retailer had sent it in. A courier came and picked it up. I check to be sure of delivery.

They’d said 2 weeks. After 2 ½ I phoned. They said delay waiting for a part. Soon. Finally an email and a week later it was here. I picked it up late Friday afternoon. I opened the trunk of my car and the gal handed me a small box. I shook my head but had already signed so I took it home. I could feel it slopping around in the cardboard cover they’d put over its briefcase box. It was loose. It looked and felt like the end of it would give way any moment. Corners were torn. There was a small rip in the side edge of the box, like it had caught on something. NO label suggesting care be taken. NO “fragile”, NO “handle with care”. Either box was well used or crushed.

It was getting dark. I put the battery in and turned on the lamp. I could see a small gouge on the bottom. I plug in and wait to daylight for inspection.

Today I open the lid and see a streak across the screen. Scraped or dirty? I get special cloth. I see the bottom of screen frame protruding out from the screen. I see bits of stuff on the screen – remnants of someone’s lunch? A hard dried spray of sneeze? I was livid!

Instinct was to close it. See dirty hand prints. Hands one thing but stuff on screen??? I was mad and had already forgotten about the scratch on the bottom. I phone. Red tape. Asus wanted the serial number. Turn it over and discover the large bottom panel has sprung out. Now very obvious the computer has crashed. Explains the excess room inside its ‘briefcase’.

Asus wanted pictures. I write address. Then he said he’d emailed me a new RMA (return for repair order). I crank up the old Dell and mailbox. Ok. But at this point I told the guy this is not a “repair” order. I do not want a “repair”. “I want a NEW computer”. After more discussion I ask to speak to his supervisor. Okay but he wanted me to agree to the new repair order. I refused to agree to a repair order. He offers pick up. He said it must go back for “assessment to see if it can be fixed".

“Supervisor #1”. We go through the whole thing over again, except more heatedly. She said it’s not in their “policy” to replace a computer. They had told me that the first time, but as I explained, this was no longer a repair situation. I paid for a NEW computer 4 months ago and I want a NEW computer. They are already on sale now. “I paid $2000 for this and I got a defective computer WHICH YOU ALREADY REFUSED TO REPLACE and now you want to repair it because it’s been damaged?” This went on for a good ½ hour until I ask to speak to her supervisor.

What is going on? This is NOT right!

Supervisor #2: All the time I’ve been on holds I’ve been hearing all about Asus’ wonderful warrantee programs and how good their products are. #2 went just the same as number #1 except now they want to start to deal with who’s responsible for the damage. Again I said I would return it the way I received it but I WANT A NEW COMPUTER. Again, I was told they must do an assessment and see if it’s fixable. Again, it got to the point I asked to speak to the supervisor.

Supervisor #3 was the same scenario, except more emphasis on who is responsible for the damage. From the sound of it, the problem would not be resolved until they dealt with the cause of the damage. Clearly it is not my fault and I just want a new computer. I don’t want to wait a month or two for them to deal with the courier and the repair centre who didn’t pack it well in the first place. I do not want an old damaged computer. She puts me on hold.

In the meantime I realize I’d never even turned it on. The keyboard lit up and the fan ran but the screen stayed black. Nothing. She returns and I tell her it doesn’t work. It didn’t want to power off. When it finally did, it took longer than it had all those other times.

After more discussion and another request of asking to talk to her supervisor she returned and said someone will phone me Monday morning.

During all the calls and all the internet paperwork and invoice attached to the box, there is no mention as to what was done with the computer. When I enquired all I was told was they replaced the graphic controller. There is no mention in their notes about the critical administrative errors, nor of the system lockouts etc.

HOW DO I DEAL WITH THIS ISSUE AND THESE PEOPLE? How to I get them to provide me with a NEW, never used computer or give me my money back? FAST. Sometimes Visa will assist but you lose taxes, besides, the retailer gave me excellent service and I do not want their reputation harmed. They tried to help. When they couldn’t they said I had to deal with Asus for first year. Warrantee for year 2 and 3 are with the retailer.

I want, deserve, and have paid for, a NEW computer. After all the hassles I wonder if Asus would stoop so low as to give me some other refurbished computer and how would I know if they did? I just want what I paid for or my money back NOW, not months down the road.

Many thanks if you can help me between now and Monday. Like I always say, No question is a stupid question and all ideas are valid. Thanks a bunch, BrokenWing.
20 REPLIES 20

Zygomorphic
Level 17
PM @cl-scott and see what he can do. He is the customer-service member on the forums.

I don't know if ASUS will give you a brand-new computer, but if they end up replacing it with something damaged, I'd return it. I see their point in saying that they want to assess if it is fixable. If what you describe is correct, they would probably end up replacing it. If they replaced computers for every minor complaint, then they would loose money when something as simple as a keyboard or RAM stopped working.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

chrsplmr
Level 18
Yes indeed PM cl-scott .. (forward your post .. with rma #'s ect.)

The quality of your post alone deserves 'a new one.' ..but I dont make those decisions.
Best of Luck .. and by all means .. Welcome to ROG.c.

Thanks guys,

Like I said, I’m new here and haven’t figured everything out. This computer seems to think I have no other life to deal with either. Haven’t had a lot of time here today so haven’t found cl-scott’s whatever (address/user link) to send message. Started writing one but am so tired of it I want to scream. Can’t find the last work order number either. Got photos taken today but not sent yet. Someone supposed to phone in am..

Thanks for the complement on my writing. You got the short version. Full version wouldn’t fit. 🙂

Had another weird one today. The screen frame had been open and gaping when I first opened it. I was still cooked and angry when I closed the lid down after discovering the screen doesn’t work. I closed it harder than I normally would. Today I open it to try to get a better photo of it. it’s a tough thing to show. Lo and behold it had snapped itself back into place. The really weird part was now there is a streak of dirty gunk along the bottom edge. It wasn’t there yesterday. It’s as though the screen shifted inside the frame or something … strange at any rate. I wondered if it’s gunk that slowly crept down inside over the 3 months I used it or if it’s part of the repairman’s lunch – the part that went with the other screen leftovers.

If you can make my life easier by providing a link or something to scott, I’d much appreciate it. Are there character limits as in other posts? Is there a way to attach either a Word docx or wordpad document in PMs or on the boards? Think I read you can attach photos/images. Otherwise, thanks anyway. I’ll come back and post a followup to this so people know what happens. 100 people read [or viewed] the first part.

Funny, they replaced someone I know’s computer and he never said it was such an ordeal. Maybe he didn’t want to scare me, eh? If I had the money I’d just sledge it and go buy something else. That’s not the case, so must follow thru. Cheers, BrokenWing
-----------

GottiBoi55
Level 10
BrokenWing wrote:
.Greetings Gamers,

I’m not a geek, but not stupid either. Perhaps I should have reported problems sooner. Retailer tried to help. Switch from XP to 7 frustrating. Kept thinking I could sort things out.

While learning how to do that and making notes and game plan for quick set up graphic controller starts doing full system crashes. Have 4 of them. I phone Asus. They make new repair order and say they will pick up. No charge. I discover Event Logs with critical administrative errors back to BEFORE I owned it, before the retailer installed 7 Pro update. I rewrite long detailed, highlighted and bolded letter listing all problems, including errors.

Dude, from what you explained here in the "highlighted" in yellow, you didn't buy a "new" G75vw.
For me it's hard to believe that the "Reseller" didn't know about this.
Well I did a Google search, and could not find anywhere you can buy a "new" G75vw with Windows XP.
Then you say the "retailer" installs Win7 pro, this doesn't sound right to me.

Plus you over payed by about $360 dollars price link here>>>>>www.newegg.com

Edit:10-22

Sorry, if I came across as being unsympathetic for all the issues you have been experiencing, I feel for you.
But if it's proven that you did indeed buy a used G75, but sold as "NEW", you should take legal action.
You should try and get your money back from that retailer!
Hope all works out for you, and good luck.

GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

GottiBoi55 wrote:
BrokenWing wrote:
.Greetings Gamers,

Dude, from what you explained here in the "highlighted" in yellow, you didn't buy a "new" G75vw.
For me it's hard to believe that the "Reseller" didn't know about this.
Well I did a Google search, and could not find anywhere you can buy a "new" G75vw with Windows XP.
Then you say the "retailer" installs Win7 pro, this doesn't sound right to me.

Plus you over payed by about $360 dollars price link here>>>>>www.newegg.com

I think by the switch from XP to 7 he meant his old computer has XP on it and he has never used 7 before.

PS when i get too much time, i'll dig thru the flash drive where i was saving EVERYTHING and see if i recorded all those admin errors and dates. depends on my mood that day. it's sorta like journalling your life or photog. if you spend so much time making records of, or taking photos of things, you don't experience the real parts. life turns into a book or photo album.

so... if G75s aren't for the 'feint of heart', just how geeky do i need to be to use one? ,,,think i should hit the hay! good night

AzraelsKiss
Level 10
To add to the reply above that pinpoints that the original issues were more likely an unscrupulous retailer (unless you actually bought a used notebook and either aren't willing to admit it, or didn't happen to notice... I'm leaning towards an unscrupulous retailer, although you not noticing the word used/refurbished/open-box/customer-returned is an acceptable second option) than to the fault of ASUS.
BrokenWing wrote:
They’d said 2 weeks. After 2 ½ I phoned. They said delay waiting for a part. Soon. Finally an email and a week later it was here. I picked it up late Friday afternoon. I opened the trunk of my car and the gal handed me a small box. I shook my head but had already signed so I took it home. I could feel it slopping around in the cardboard cover they’d put over its briefcase box. It was loose. It looked and felt like the end of it would give way any moment. Corners were torn. There was a small rip in the side edge of the box, like it had caught on something. NO label suggesting care be taken. NO “fragile”, NO “handle with care”. Either box was well used or crushed.

You received an obviously damaged shipping container and didn't file a complaint about damage during shipping with the carrier? If the package was improperly handled during shipment, it could definitely explain the gouge in the casing and hardware issues you may now be having. The shipping insurance that ASUS likely got may be able to pay for a factory refurbished system, but will ASUS be able to file a claim when you didn't report a damaged shipping container and are now delaying returning the system to ASUS to rectify the situation?
~Azrael's Kiss~

Buildin' my post count one post at a time...

BrandeX
Level 9
Could be, but his description of issues sounds completely like OS related problems, not the PC itself. Running factory restore would sort that out.

finalhour
Level 11
Windows 7 is pretty intuitive. I'd wager that there was something buggy with his install initially but I agree that he probably could've fixed with a reformatting.....G75's are not for the feint of heart, if you're not a tech-geek by today's standards than I can see the trouble he could've had.
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz