cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dead power supply. - adp-180hb d

thomasdaley
Level 7
My power adapter for my G75vx has died. I cannot find anyone who supplies them and not having access to my laptop is getting frustrating.

The power adapter needed is "adp-180hb d". I'm willing to pay express postage if you can tell me where to buy them in Australia.

Please help.
7 REPLIES 7

xeromist
Note that you only need a 19V adapter with a *minimum* 9.5A. The amperage rating can be higher(but not lower) as long as the voltage is correct. If you expand your search to include bigger bricks that might help.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
1. Contact your local ASUS support if you haven't already from this page, but would hope they could suggest a place to get one if they aren't able to sell you one directly:
http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en

2. The G75VX is able to use the G750JW and G750JX 180w adapter, so if necessary, look for it under these models too, but hopefully most 'authorized resellers' selling ASUS notebooks will be able to get you one.

Your notebook battery bay the label should say something like 19V, 9.5A for more details about the 180W adapter requirements although we may also use a 19.5V 180w adapter that should work as well.

3. If you are still under warranty and can't wait for the rma process, be sure to hold onto that defective adapter and arrange the rma with ASUS support later to have a spare.

4. It's probably not a good idea to look into this unless you are really desperate, but if you can get your hands on a 90w, 120w, or 150w ASUS notebook adapter, they should still be able to charge your notebook battery while the notebook is turned off, but it's not a good idea to turn on and use the notebook with the smaller adapters, so unplug them if you will run it on battery power only.

5. Hopefully, you don't need to consider this option, but if you didn't already know and are not worried about warranty, you should be able to connect your notebook hard drive to a different computer by an external USB hard drive housing (once you find the right one) to transfer data if there are some files you need to get to right away.

Good luck!

I tried the Asus number... Got nowhere. The gent whom I could hardly understand didn't have a clue. I'll try again and see if I can get someone better.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
I saw 2 different numbers for Australia (for different regions? not sure what (WL/NW) means), so you might check with both?

Also, I'm not that familiar with the ASUS Australia website, but looks like you may be able to purchase the 180w adapter through it:
http://shop.asus.com/store/asusau/en_AU/list/categoryID.63673700/

If you're interested, go to the ASUS Australia website http://www.asus.com/au/ and click on 'Shop' at the top to select adapters under the accessories.

thomasdaley
Level 7
Thanks for you help. I found it on the Asus.com.au site. It looks different to my current one but the specs are the same and it says it will work on my g75vx.

$180 is pretty steep. But I need the little bugger.

Yep,

I've now burned through two power supplies, including one PWR+ that died the moment I power up. That said, my wife and I have the exact same model and she hasn't had any problems? Can a bad battery kill the adapter?

steveno wrote:
Yep,

I've now burned through two power supplies, including one PWR+ that died the moment I power up. That said, my wife and I have the exact same model and she hasn't had any problems? Can a bad battery kill the adapter?

The battery is going to be isolated by the charging circuitry so I don't think so. The only thing I could imagine the battery doing would be failing to charge and causing the power supply to work harder but you'd know if the battery wasn't taking/holding a charge.

More likely this could be caused by bad power sockets. Is there anywhere you plug yours in that your wife does not?

Also this should probably be split into a new thread. Nobody is going to see your question here except me. Tell me what you want for a thread title and I will move it for you.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…