cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crazy CPU Temperatures (~100C) on g750JW

PPanda
Level 8
Hello ASUS and ASUS community,

I played some video games on my new g750JW and was generally enjoying the experience but then decided I should run a 3dmark13 benchmark. I was astounded at the temperatures my CPU was reaching.

Idle: 49c
During Fire Strike Physics Test: 94c
During Intel CPU Stress Test: 100c (only 1 minute into the test!)

I hear the left fan come on (not 100% i don't think, still very quiet) and within a couple minutes of stopping any benchmark the temp drops down to about 60c then slowly goes back to 50c. The right fan remains silent so I guess it must be responsible for the GPU, which never went abouve 60c.

These temperatures are way to hot! This is out of the box too... no OC or anything.

Why in the world would this be happening? Should I RMA now for ASUS to fix or is it the model that is defective?
17 REPLIES 17

jsarver
Level 11
Return ASAP. Very very abnormal and hot!

Another measure: Only 70c while playing dota 2... weird...

So if I am moving to BC on tuesday, can I ship RMA and leave my new address as the return address?

That would be ideal.

Also, I suppose I have to switch back the original HDD? I installed a SSD.

PPanda wrote:
Another measure: Only 70c while playing dota 2... weird...

So if I am moving to BC on tuesday, can I ship RMA and leave my new address as the return address?

That would be ideal.

Also, I suppose I have to switch back the original HDD? I installed a SSD.

If your returning the laptop to the place of purchase for an exchange (WHICH I HIGHLY RECOMMEND DOING!) You'll need to put laptop back to it's original configuration.

If your RMAing the laptop to ASUS you can ask to not include your hard drives in the RMA.

You should be able to change the ship to address without issue
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

Yeah I opened an RMA today.

THanks for the tip about the HDDs, I can really just keep them home? How will they boot it up to do the stress testing?

(I asked the ASUS tech if they could run the stress test after repasting the CPU for me to make sure it doesnt go above 90c). I think they'll need Windows for that right?

X-ROG
Level 15
Did it actually run that hot when playing games or doing actual normal activities? If so, does it actually throttle affecting performance? If not, it shouldn't be an issue. You don't need to run stress tests, these are artificial loads that put the system into abnormal stress not indicative of normal usage.

PPanda
Level 8
So about 65c when doing standard Desktop stuff.

90c when playing Dawn of War II.

94c when playing Metro LL.

jsarver
Level 11
Rma. ASAP. Not normal.

PPanda
Level 8
Whats normal?

Could you please post your temps? (Idle/Gaming/Stress)

Thanks

So I have RMAed my unit and asked them to repaste. I was told by the agent that issued my RMA that the RMA tech can run Cinebench CPU test for me to make sure it maxes under 90c before shipping it back.

I'll post back here to share how it works out. They picked the unit up Tuesday so I'm hoping I'll get the unit back soon!