cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cracked hinge issue on G750J models?

Feywood
Level 7
Heyo,

I recently bought a G750JS, and have spent a short time being highly impressed with how well it runs. That said, I've noticed that the hinge cover behind/below the screen on the right-hand side has what appears to be a 2cm-long crack in it, and searching around this reveals that this isn't an uncommon sight: sometimes it's on one side, sometimes it's on the other, and sometimes it's on both.

Links to a couple of examples of other (non-JS) G750s with the same issue:

http://www.pcper.com/files/review/2013-10-02/P9033132.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Vwl1dfbuCws/Ug_-dzW7u8I/AAAAAAAAAF4/OuhSIbbj5-E/s1600/IMG_20130817_144119....
http://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25264&d=1377127279&thumb=1

I've refrained from physically probing the hinge to avoid exacerbating the issue if there is one, but if this is indeed a crack/split, then has anyone here with the same issue had it worsen over time, or is it pretty much a cosmetic matter? Sending the machine back for repair or replacement would be a hassle, so I'd probably just let the issue go if I could get confirmation that this was unlikely to become a serious problem.
8 REPLIES 8

FalconFX
Level 7
Its normal, i just checked mine and i have it on mine, its the exact on both sides, and its use to be easily take off the part behind the screen that is covering the exhausts, so its not a crack its actually part of the design and not a crack, because a crack would have rough edges and imperfections along the crack, which isnt the case here :), so just use your laptop normally because its not faulty 🙂

Darnassus
Status Under Review
It's a gap! ;d

Darnassus wrote:
It's a gap! ;d

I didnt find that word, so i wrote a paragraph, really embarrassing 😮

Darnassus wrote:
It's a gap! ;d

Erm, no, it's not a gap; it looks more like a stress fracture where the bolt connects the screen to the rest of the machine, and it is only present on the right-hand side, not both, and the latter is what you'd expect if it were a deliberate design decision. Most photos I've seen of the G750J range don't have this fracture, but a handful do on one or both sides, so it doesn't seem normal or intentional.

My JS:

Left-hand hinge with no "crack":

Right-hand hinge with "crack":

I'm just interested in knowing if anybody with this not-uncommon issue has ever had it worsen (i.e. the casing splitting entirely and the screen somehow detaching, in the ultimate worst-case scenario), or if it'll basically stay like it is.

Bilack
Level 7
I have the same issue. I guess it jut wasnt glued properly, but i dont think will affect the screen in any way, as that seems to be just a plastic cover for the hinge.
Another theory i have about this issue is that it could have occured, while they tested the laptop, because of the high temps in that side (gpu) and the glue wasnt hardened yet when they did it. its just a guess of why its only on the right side.

So, just to follow up for peace of mind, is there anybody who can confirm they've had this same issue on their G750 for a reasonable length of time and found it to not have any impact?

AppleDumpling
Level 7
Feywood wrote:
Heyo,
I've refrained from physically probing the hinge to avoid exacerbating the issue if there is one, but if this is indeed a crack/split, then has anyone here with the same issue had it worsen over time, or is it pretty much a cosmetic matter? /QUOTE]

I have a ROG GL753VE, and when I open the screen up, I would hear a little cracking noise, like when a hinge is tight and when you first move it and it gives it makes a noise. However, after a while, it happened more often, and now every time I lift it. It also seems the edges of the bezel moves. I worked for tech companies, and looking at this bezel, compared to other Manufactures, this one is thin-plastic and cheap looking and feeling. So, anyway, I looked at the hinge close, the right side(key pad side) when it is closed and opened it. I see a rounded shape cover over the hinge that seems to be attached to the screen too, The round part, seems to be like to halves meeting to form clyndric covering. The seam on the left side stays together, but the right side is popping-cracking as it moves, and it pulls apart as the seem. It is like if it supposed to snapped or glued together, but it isn't. I would think it is a snap together fitting, however, if so, the catch in the underside is not catching the other half. it actually pulls apart when moving a 1/16th inch, a pencil lead width so it looks like. After seeing this, My first thoughts were to back up the computer and send it in . I have 2+ 2 years from costco. This laptop is about 18 months old, but this noise has been, now I think about it, seems like from the very begining.
When I run my finger nail, along the inner edge of the bezel and the screen to check how flush the edge is, the top has no gapping, the left edge towards the corner/hinge has some gapping, midway and to the bottom, the bottom edge right corner has a bit of gap running 1 in from the corner, and the right edge has gapping at the bezel midway down to the right corner towards my hinge and that is the side that also pops and I thought it was the bezel popping/cracking first with noise, but it could be both, the bezel making that noise and the cover to the hinge on the right side, cause it closes toghether on it's own and then comes apart. Never had this on HP, Compaq, Dell or Lenovo, etc.. Only have seen this crap on ASUS ROG. I have seen another cheaper ASUS when using it, and it didn't do this crap.

So, I have seen some other WeB people complain about this.. again, the screen doesn't seem to be seated correctly to the bezel in some spots, and the plastic around the one hinge, seems like the two pieces that go are supposed to be a snap together fitting and not holding and closing and opening, thus make the plastic popping like cracking noise.

Clintlgm
Level 14
Well if you don't want to replace it ABS Clear Glue should fix it, do be careful, in fact I think I would disassemble and then make the repair.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro