cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU temps

HulkSmash
Level 8
Hey guys, would you mind posting your CPU and GPU temps are iddle and full load? Did a repaste, and wanted to compare temps!

Note: specify if you also did a repaste, which thermal compound you used, and also if you overclock!

Thanks!
15 REPLIES 15

HulkSmash
Level 8
SKIP THIS PARAGRAPH IF YOU JUST WANT TO LOOK AT TEMPS
Wow, I think some of you guys need a repaste lol. Anyways I did mine with some Arctic Silver 5, and I went with less is better lol. I actually thought less was better, specially after reading a few articles and indeed it was! For the GPU, I did a single dot of paste, for the CPU a single thin line and placed the heat sinks as flat as possible. It actually makes sense that less is better... since what you are trying to do is minize the space between the chip and the heat sinks, so they are close together as possible but still have something in betweenas they are not perfectly symmetric; this will in turn lead to more efficient heat dissipation (or at least I think so lol)!

Anyways after a repaste with AS5, my iddle temps are 40C on the CPU, 35 on the GPU. Under max load I didn't run furmark or prime, but I did play crysis 3 and BF4 for about 2 hours for both. For the CPU, the max I got was 70C. For the GPU the max I got was 65C! I do overclock my GPU from regular clocks @950 to about @1200. One detail though, I do have a GTX660m, not a GTX670m. The 670m is bound to run a little hotter since it is fermi, not kepler like the 660m.
I guess, if you are reaching the 90's, and your warranty is out, it is probably time to do a repaste. I think I'll be doing them ghetto holes for even better temps lol...

Playing a game is not the same as stress testing or benching the machine. I can play a game all day long at 70c CPU 60c GPU. I can also hit 90c in the CPU test of time spy.

HulkSmash
Level 8
SKIP THIS PARAGRAPH IF YOU JUST WANT TO LOOK AT TEMPS
Wow, I think some of you guys need a repaste lol. Anyways I did mine with some Arctic Silver 5, and I went with less is better lol. I actually thought less was better, specially after reading a few articles and indeed it was! For the GPU, I did a single dot of paste, for the CPU a single thin line and placed the heat sinks as flat as possible. It actually makes sense that less is better... since what you are trying to do is minize the space between the chip and the heat sinks, so they are close together as possible but still have something in betweenas they are not perfectly symmetric; this will in turn lead to more efficient heat dissipation (or at least I think so lol)!

Anyways after a repaste with AS5, my iddle temps are 40C on the CPU, 35 on the GPU. Under max load I didn't run furmark or prime, but I did play crysis 3 and BF4 for about 2 hours for both. For the CPU, the max I got was 70C. For the GPU the max I got was 65C! I do overclock my GPU from regular clocks @950 to about @1200. One detail though, I do have a GTX660m, not a GTX670m. The 670m is bound to run a little hotter since it is fermi, not kepler like the 660m.
I guess, if you are reaching the 90's, and your warranty is out, it is probably time to do a repaste. I think I'll be doing them ghetto holes for even better temps lol...

SpasTaz0917
Level 7
What you should know is that AS5 can be conductive. And it has a cure time of 200 hours.
After 200 hours, the temps will get better.

I have no idea if the GPU VRM's are conductive or anything. Originally I used AS5 too on the CPU / GPU, memory and VRM's 🙂
And since AS5 creates a thin layer of silver at some point. I cleansed it all away, after a week and used
Arctic MX-4, no cure time and non-conductive 🙂 not gonna risk that slight chance of frying something.

I finally fixed my GPU ghetto hole too 🙂 made a hole big enough for the round grills, and simply super glued it in.
Looks much better except the excess glue. The CPU side turned out much better, no excess glue. 🙂

Bonus...
I once had a MacBook Pro 2011. Which I Repasted, which I do religiously on every new system 😛
There was so much thermal compound, that it was actually insulating the GPU from the immense heat that the CPU Load emits, 90c + is standard for a MacBook...
(CPU & GPU is very close and is on the same heatpipe) so my GPU temps got higher when doing CPU intensive tasks. And the overall GPU temps got somewhat better when playing games. 84c overclocked opposed to almost 90c. (AMD 6750m) after the repaste with AS5.
rig: Impact VII / 4790K / Crucial Ballistix SP 16GB 1600Mhz/ 256GB 850 Pro
Corsair AX760 / H105 AIO Watercooling / Bitfenix Prodigy
laptop: G75VW 3630QM / 670m /16GB RAM / 256GB 840 Pro + 750gb/ BD drive
Gaming OC for 670m 750/1750

Lol, I think I saw a macbook in the Foreman Grills section at Sears

HulkSmash
Level 8
So, am I at any risk with AS5, should I switch to something else? And I thought being conductive would actually help it...