cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect ROG XG STATION 2 to a G752VT. Disable laptop monitor?

Boojakascha
Level 7
Hello

I own a G752VT and recently picked up a ROG XG STATION 2 for VR gaming. I will put a Nvidia GTX 1080 in it.

As I understand If I run a G-sync able laptop monitor (which I do) the ROG XG STATION 2 needs a dedicated monitor and I have to disable the laptop monitor.

I write this to ask whether this is still true in 2020 & to get some details striagt:
- Has the freesync --> G-Sync thing changed anything? Is it sufficient now to solely "disable G-sync" or won't this be sufficient?
- How much do I actually have to disable my monitor? Will be the WindowsButton & P thingy (set to "just external monitor" or Asus Monitor Hider (primary layer of F7) be enough? Or do I actually have to trow it out of the Devices Manager?

Thanks a lot for your advice
Ben
2 REPLIES 2

Boojakascha
Level 7
I now got the card (Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080) and a monitor ready.

Upon which moment would the plasma start to glow? If I push start on the XG STATION 2 it starts just some LEDS. I followed the Asus manual (most recent Thunderbolt driver and BIOS) but I still receive the "The Functionality of Thunderbolt Devices is possibly limited" error when I connect the Thunderbolt 3 cable. After I connected the USB cable some drivers installed fine.

I disabled the laptop display with Windows & P, and disabled G-sync in the Nvidia Control Panel.

Has anybody an idea what I am doing wrong?

Edit:
I updated my Thunderbolt 3 driver as stated, but when I try to update the Firmware of the Station, it get a
"No Active ROX XG Station 2 found in the system of Thunderbolt software is not present in the system" error.

Edit2:
If I wanted to troubleshoot step by step:
Can I conncet the ROG XG STATION 2 to the computer without a graphics card in order to update the firmware? Should that work?

I have exciting news! I was able to resolve the issues and find answers. I ask rhetorical questions in this post so that it is of more benefit for later customers.

Is it still true that there are issues when using the XG Station 2 on a notebook with G-Sync?
- No. Not at all. You can leave G-Sync enabled and leave the monitor on. The XG Station 2 will carry the crunshing and use your display as a display. No need to buy another monitor.
Does the plasma Beam light without graphics card?
- That might depend on Aura settings. Per default I would say it doesn't.
Do many of the LEDs shine without Thunderbolt 3 connection?
- No, they will just start shine when the computer is paired successfully.
I can't set up the XG Station 2, what shall I do?
- Please read the rest of the post.

In the more section of the XG 2 Station 2 download section of your computer, you can hit the "more" button to reveal a download called firmware. Although it has the same title as the XG 2 Station Firmware which you find at the page for the station these are not the same. One updates the computer (mandatory) and one updates the station (not needed). The computer will just pair if you install this additional computer firmware update. Without it won't.

Also a word of warning: Even though Asus states that this dock will house 99 % of cards keep in mind that it is freaking narrow. It won't house anything wider than 44 mm. Unless you are willing to use an angle grinder. Also the back plate of the card must not pass a thickness threshold.

I now bougth a monitor, even though I don't really need one... well it might be of use in the future... I kind of like low latency (CRT gamer) and this is my first item with displayport. As standard HDMI has typically at least 22 ms latency I will be intrigued to see what this new toy will hold up to me.