cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer shuts off randomly, possible overheating. (ASUS G750JX)

Pboy1996
Level 7
(I think I might have reposted on the wrong subforum so am reposting it here)

Hi

I have an ASUS ROG G750JX, I bought near the end of 2014. For the first year it didn't have any significant problems, but since the start of 2016 I saw a few problems.

These problems were way too random so I didn't pay attention to it, but over the last 2 months it was almost every alternate day.

I'd be playing dota 2 at lowest settings and within 20 - 30 minutes (less than 1 game) I'd hear a clicking sound and the computer would just instantly shut off.

It would also boot up instantly with no error messages, so I thought it was possibly due to an overheating safety check.

I just got the computer back from Asus' service centre in Dubai (where my family lives). It was at the service centre due to a BIOS issue, but I had also mentioned about this possible heating issue.

I got it back 2 days ago with an updated BIOS, but they said they found nothing regarding overheating. Their service wasn't too great as the guy on the phone couldn't even explain what they had done to fix my computer, and they said they had wiped my HDD clean, but all my files were intact (so I was confused).

Before posting here, I was keeping track of temperatures using OpenHardwareMonitor 0.7.1 (Beta)

These are some of the temperatures I got.

When sitting idle after booting (all starting apps closed) - between 47 to 55 celsius

When running chrome with one tab (no other programs running) - between 53-62 celsius

Just starting up dota 2 (lowest settings, not in game) - between 68 - 74 celsius

In the middle of dota 2 game at lowest settings - between 79 and 87 (occasionally seen temperature hitting 91, and the computer would shut off soon after).

I don't know what to check for and how do I proceed. I am not sure if its a software issue or a hardware issue. What are the best steps I could be taking, in the right order, to be able to find the cause of this error.

All I know so far is the service centre said they cleaned out my computer, so I don't think its the fans.

If it is another hardware issue like thermal paste wearing off, what should I be telling the ASUS service center (since I have less than a month before I go back for university)

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

Pboy1996
Level 7
Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Hi Pboy,

I recommend first of all the memory check. Do a complete MemTest to be sure it is not a fault RAM or even they could be loose with time and travels.

Download here and create a USB boot, let it run overnight... each cycle takes long times... so if your computer succeeded 4 loops, you can be sure it is not a memory/cpu problem.

http://www.memtest86.com/

But certainly your CPU thermal paste is gone... your processor is running really hot, even for Dubai. You should get a experience tech guy to replace it, or send it back to Asus. But anyway, try the memory stress test to be sure.

Let us know!

Best,

Alex

Thanks for the response

I'll run a memory test tomorrow.

Is there anything software related that could be causing any such issues? Like some HDD error causing such problems.

Gps3dx
Level 12
temps between 68 - 74 celsius for desktop/web browsing - are what I experience from an 1.5 year old G75JT, during the summer, and I live in Israel.
although I can agree that passing 90+ Celsius should light up some warnings.
make sure your fans are @100%, and try to play in a room with A.C.

Also, I advise that you check the official DOTA forum for cases like yours - as it is logical that something in DOTA causes the reboots.
search for similar cases even if they got different computer.

lastly, you mentioned "clicks" which probably coming from the physical mechanics of the HDD.
download free CrystalDiskinfo and see if you got any error/bad things from the s.m.a.r.t. report, like "reallocated sector count" with high threshold and general report that the drive health is other then "GOOD".
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

So I downloaded memtest86 and made a bootable usb drive

went through BIOS to boot from drive. started test

test was on 1/4 , 81% pass and it was doing the next step, and my computer shut down, same way as it does when i game.

Fans got really loud and then heard a click and shut off.

Will try running it again, hopefully it can complete the Memtest otherwise I'll send it to asus and tell them there might be an issue with thermal paste or RAM

Just wanted to add an update to the issue.

Memtest is working so far. I'm on test 10 for ram 1

I also see another issue which could be the main reason

One of my fans might not be sending the heat out.

While computer was running at 95 Celsius , one fan was significantly louder and putting my hand near it, I felt a lot of heat coming out

The 2nd fan (the one under the power button) was very soft and I felt no heat coming out of it. The surface of the fan was slightly hot but I felt no air come out.

I'll send it to Asus telling them that one of the fans isn't working and there could be possible issue with the thermal paste

I also have a similar issue with my ASUS ROG G501 JW. My computer randomly goes to sleep, however, I don't believe it's overheating. It started happening after two or three weeks after I bought it, and now it is becoming more frequent. I am able to turn it on quickly, just by pressing the power on button, but it is really annoying, as it sometimes goes to sleep while I'm working on things (that don't require any special CPU/ GPU power, so there's no real reason why is this occuring). Also, I often get notifications that my battery levels are low, and I get a warning that battery is at 10%, eventhough it's really not. The screen dims for a second, and the laptop goes into the power saving mode, and after several seconds goes back to normal. Is anyone having the same issues? I am not sure if this is something I can fix on my own or if I should send it in for a repairement. Thanks in advance!

Miro992 wrote:
I also have a similar issue with my ASUS ROG G501 JW. My computer randomly goes to sleep, however, I don't believe it's overheating. It started happening after two or three weeks after I bought it, and now it is becoming more frequent. I am able to turn it on quickly, just by pressing the power on button, but it is really annoying, as it sometimes goes to sleep while I'm working on things (that don't require any special CPU/ GPU power, so there's no real reason why is this occuring). Also, I often get notifications that my battery levels are low, and I get a warning that battery is at 10%, eventhough it's really not. The screen dims for a second, and the laptop goes into the power saving mode, and after several seconds goes back to normal. Is anyone having the same issues? I am not sure if this is something I can fix on my own or if I should send it in for a repairement. Thanks in advance!

I have a similar problem with asus G750. It is defintely not an overheating issue but a power management issue. For some reason the laptop is not getting power from AC adapter and going back to power saving mode for some seconds. Event viewing manager reports this event.
A few weeks ago I noticed this problem and tested it by disconetting the battery. Notebook under load would shut off .After checking temperature I believe it was not an overheating issue. Before panicking I replaced only the cable that goes from adapter to electric wall plug. I did not have any problem for some weeks. But now I am having the sam problem again.
Any ideaS?

I too am having a reboot issue..Just at random times while on the web, it just reboots... It's doing it about every week or so... again just random...I ran the CrystalDisk software and it shows "Good"...I'm going to run the Memtest tonight...anyone have a follow up on this issue?? Pboy11996?? any luck??