cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car charger for G751 ???

canvasch
Level 7
I'm ready to purchase a G751 but the only draw back I have is that I can't seem to find a car charger or a inverter I can use in the car to charge it.
I travel for a living and rarely have access to a outlet.
I am not able to use a car inverter that is required to be hooked up directly to the battery, I'm only able to use the standard cigarette adapter.

Will I have to get a less powerful laptop or is there a solution for me?
7 REPLIES 7

wildtiger
Level 7
Hi , Canvasch, I got myself this http://www.amazon.com/ENERGIZER-Inverter-cigarette-lighter-compatible/dp/B00ATXERNO/ref=zg_bs_583328...
. Was able to charge laptop ,phone and keep GPS at the same time with no issues!

juggar
Level 7
canvasch wrote:
I'm ready to purchase a G751 but the only draw back I have is that I can't seem to find a car charger or a inverter I can use in the car to charge it.
I travel for a living and rarely have access to a outlet.
I am not able to use a car inverter that is required to be hooked up directly to the battery, I'm only able to use the standard cigarette adapter.

Will I have to get a less powerful laptop or is there a solution for me?

You need an inverter for sure like the other poster recommended.

You also need to make sure your 12 volt car port can handle the power draw of the G751 at full draw.

I know most cars cant handle more than a 200 watt 120 volt DC to AC inverter from the 12 v cig lighter port.

Above that you should be connecting the inverter straight to the battery lest you blow a fuse or worse.

You should be OK to connect to the 12v port on your car but you need to know the amperage of your cig lighter fuse before going full tilt on the G751.

GhostriderZ85
Level 7
Yup, you better check what is the max power that the cigarette ligher can provide, or just tap it directly to your car battery for safety, make sure to use an inline fuse though.

Ntwlf
Level 12
Hi canvasch,

You should be fine with your laptop of choice + an inverter such as wildtiger has suggested. In reading the reviews of this inverter, when using the cigarette lighter adapter it only outputs 100 watts (500 watts directly connected to battery).

All inverters that have the ability to utilize a car cigarette lighter/12 volt port are supposed to not exceed the available power set by automobile manufacturers standards which is around 10 to 15 amps. This equates to around 100 to 200 watts max inverter output. The vehicle will have the cigarette lighter/12 volt port protected by its own fuse (located in the fuse panel). And the inverter adapter will/should have its own fuse built in also.

In using the cables to connect inverter directly to battery, the inverter has a user accessible fuse built in. With the inverter connected this way, it will supply it's maximum rated power.

All consumer "US" rated inverters has safety protection circuits that protect itself as well as anything connected to it. Such as low battery shutdown (typically 10.5 volts, this is plenty to restart vehicle should it not be running), over current shutdown, whether the battery supply exceeds 15 volts or the device connected to it draws more than the inverters rated capacity (such as 700 watts trying to be used from a 500 watt inverter).

Worse case scenario I foresee, is having the laptop turned off while connected to the inverter so as to "charge" the laptop battery with inverter plugged into cigarette lighter/12 volt port, since the laptop power supply/brick will be drawing the least amount of power in this scenario.

Or you can connect inverter directly to car battery with the supplied cables (car parked of course and it will connect similarly to jumper cables) and charge the laptop battery "while" using it. You'll need an AC extension cord of course, if you want to sit in the car with the laptop as the inverter cables are rather short.

I hope this helps.

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yea I just looked at my Adapter it requires 110/220 3.2 Amps. So your 12V port, no cars come with cigarette lighter any longer. This port need to be on a 10 amp or so circuit 5 amp might work with blowing a fuse every now and then. Would work for sure it that port is on its own circuit not shared with any other port or devices?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Yea I just looked at my Adapter it requires 110/220 3.2 Amps. So your 12V port, no cars come with cigarette lighter any longer. This port need to be on a 10 amp or so circuit 5 amp might work with blowing a fuse every now and then. Would work for sure it that port is on its own circuit not shared with any other port or devices?

Same here for not availability of cigarette lighter. Curious which one would work. I'm gonna do this mod right after we finished installing the Blue Ox towing parts on the current truck project.

I use an inverter from Ceptics to charge my laptop in my Tata Harrier. Connect the inverter's power cable to the mobile charging slot of your car.