cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot install windows 7 on G75VX

house7
Level 7
Hi guys, really need some help here, I just bought a G75VX which came with a 750GB SSH and a 500GB HDD. I took out the 500GB HDD and installed a INTEL 330 240GB SSD.

Now I just want to install Windows 7 on the SSD and have it dual boot with the Windows 8 that came with the laptop on the 750GB SSH, but I've tried everything and nothing works, including installing it through booting from the DVD (this was a nightmare in itself: figuring out the UEFI stuff and making it boot properly, changing my SSD to GPT etc). I've tried installing it within windows 8 onto the SSD, but the setup process breaks when the setup asks for a restart, which restarts me to the boot selection of "windows setup" OR "windows 8" and if i pick "windows setup" it says signiture error or something and I had to remove this boot option from MSCONFIG.

I've since given up on installing windows 7 and just want to move my windows 8 to the SSD, and so I tried to create a system image onto the SSD and it keeps giving an error saying that the target destination doesn't have enough space when it clearly does have enough space (55GB required and SSD has 233GB free).

Any ideas guys? Either on how to dual boot with windows 7 or just moving windows 8 across?

Thanks in advance!
32 REPLIES 32

Fire
Level 10
YOU must DISABLE UEFI boot otherwise nothing will work.

In the boot options, look for entries that say UEFI boot and change them to the same but without the UEFI

GPT partitions are the biggest headeache and the worst thing to come to a computer. Once disabled, everything will work flawlessly

which BIOS version do you have so I can guide you on how to disable UEFI boot

Hi Thanks for the quick response...

I don't even see any UEFI settings in my BIOs, mine says version 203...

also does this have anything to do with why i can't even make a recovery image? I was reading the manual that came with the laptop and it says there is a recovery partition (which i can see is about 20GB). It says to use it you have to press F9 during boot and select windows setup and asus preload wizard and all that, but I don't get any of those options when I press F9...it just goes to a few windows 8 options...strange...

house7 wrote:
Hi Thanks for the quick response...

I don't even see any UEFI settings in my BIOs, mine says version 203...

also does this have anything to do with why i can't even make a recovery image? I was reading the manual that came with the laptop and it says there is a recovery partition (which i can see is about 20GB). It says to use it you have to press F9 during boot and select windows setup and asus preload wizard and all that, but I don't get any of those options when I press F9...it just goes to a few windows 8 options...strange...

If GPT partitions are enabled then you cant make any image/backup that is why

the UEFI boot is right at the top in the boot menu d00d, set it to disabled

if you still dont find it, update your BIOS ill show you where it is

oh and when you say if GPT partitions are enabled I can't make images...is that for the target drive? cos my current windows 8 drive is GPT as well...it came from the shop like that

Fire wrote:
YOU must DISABLE UEFI boot otherwise nothing will work.

In the boot options, look for entries that say UEFI boot and change them to the same but without the UEFI

GPT partitions are the biggest headeache and the worst thing to come to a computer. Once disabled, everything will work flawlessly

Sorry off-topic (I'm also talking about G75VW, not VX).

It seems indeed quite messy and hard to comprehend. Yesterday I was unable to reinstall Win7 from the ASUS recovery DVDs I had made before, nothing helped. The recovery DVDs worked fine with BIOS v207, but not now with v221.

After that I downloaded fresh Win7 Home Premium 64bit installation ISO from Microsoft pages and decided to try it instead (using the Win7 product key from the license sticker from the bottom of my G75). Bam, it installed itself beautifully. BIOS gave me two boot options for the Win7 DVD, apparently UEFI and non-UEFI. I chose UEFI option and had no problem whatsoever, it automatically created a GPT partition and installed itself there.

Next I am going to try again the Win8 Pro upgrade installation on the second HDD. Earlier when I tried it, it didn't want to install itself to a GPT disk, but created a MBR itself and only then installed itself. I'd prefer GPT because it is more futureproof, ie. if I ever want to replace the boot hard disk with one over 2TB capacity (MBR disks can be only 2TB or lower).

I have no idea why this Win7 ISO installs fine to GPT, but the Win8 Pro upgrade wouldn't. Very odd.

Ps. Is there some connection between GPT => UEFI and MBR => non-UEFI? So is it so that you cannot install on a GPT disk without UEFI?

Hi Dude,

I managed to get it installed with Win7 but have devices without compatible drivers. Cannot clear the USB and Wireless exclamation from device manager. Any 1 has links for win 7 drivers will be helpful.

timppu wrote:
Sorry off-topic (I'm also talking about G75VW, not VX).

It seems indeed quite messy and hard to comprehend. Yesterday I was unable to reinstall Win7 from the ASUS recovery DVDs I had made before, nothing helped. The recovery DVDs worked fine with BIOS v207, but not now with v221.

After that I downloaded fresh Win7 Home Premium 64bit installation ISO from Microsoft pages and decided to try it instead (using the Win7 product key from the license sticker from the bottom of my G75). Bam, it installed itself beautifully. BIOS gave me two boot options for the Win7 DVD, apparently UEFI and non-UEFI. I chose UEFI option and had no problem whatsoever, it automatically created a GPT partition and installed itself there.

Next I am going to try again the Win8 Pro upgrade installation on the second HDD. Earlier when I tried it, it didn't want to install itself to a GPT disk, but created a MBR itself and only then installed itself. I'd prefer GPT because it is more futureproof, ie. if I ever want to replace the boot hard disk with one over 2TB capacity (MBR disks can be only 2TB or lower).

I have no idea why this Win7 ISO installs fine to GPT, but the Win8 Pro upgrade wouldn't. Very odd.

Ps. Is there some connection between GPT => UEFI and MBR => non-UEFI? So is it so that you cannot install on a GPT disk without UEFI?

Hello,

I would like to install Win7 on my G75VW-T1432H (it came with WIn8), preferably with GPT partitions.
I have an original Win7 DVD install DVD with genuine serial number, but after trying for hours, it still will only install it on NTFS partition.
I guess this DVD is too old (It is the very first release!)...

Could you please give me the link you used to download your ISO from Microsoft Pages, or how to get there.
Thanks in avance!

house7
Level 7
what version should I update it to?

I am serious there are no UEFI options on my BIOS

house7
Level 7
ASUS site only has the 203 version BIOS for download...