cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you remap the media player function keys (on the arrow keys)

Bojamijams
Level 7
Currently the Play button launches windows media player. Trying to remap the key in Foobar makes it appear as 'unknown'.

Is there a way to remove the association with windows media player and/or somehow remap these keys to be used for a different media player?
7 REPLIES 7

dstrakele
Level 14
That's a negative, @Bojamijams. That key is controlled by an ASUS ATK Package driver. Several others have posted about using this key for iTunes and other players. It most likely will require ASUS to provide such functionality.

EDIT: It IS possible. See @PILGRIM's post below for the solution.
EDT2: On 2nd thought, maybe only the arrow keys can be remapped.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

PILGRIM
Level 11
I remapped my arrow-function keys. I don't use Windows Media Player so I disabled it.

I also use Foobar 2000 v1.1.8 for music.
1. In Foobar, go to Library > Configure > Keyboard Shortcuts

2. Under the "Assigned shortcuts", click "add new".

3. By then, "Action" and "Key" are activated.

4. Under "Action", Scroll down to "Playback".
(Now you see "stop", "pause", "play", "play or pause", etc.)

5. Remap them one at a time, with your arrow-function keys.
(e.g. For "stop", click the "Key" box, then press the up-arrow button)

6. Click "add new" for each remapped keys.

I use the very light GOM Player for 2D movies/video clips (it loads fast),
and the CinePlayer for 3D. Remapping the arrow-function keys are also okay with them.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

dstrakele
Level 14
+1 @PILGRIM - I stand corrected!
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
+1 @PILGRIM - I stand corrected!

🙂 I'm guessing even if the Windows Media Player is not disabled,
remapping the arrow keys (or the keyboard itself) can still be done..

I think remapping various software are dependent on whether said
software have the option to do so..
ASUS G74SX-3DE

Bojamijams
Level 7
I'll try this tonight, though I'm not sure how you disabled windows media player. Did you just uninstall it?

When I tried to remap the STOP arrow key (I think its UP), Foobar reported that keystroke as UNKNOWN. Then when I tried to remap the PLAY arrow key, windows media player launches in the background.

BrodyBoy
Level 10
You can disable Windows Media Player in Windows features (where you turn Windows features on and off). I always disable it, since I don't use it at all.

I have found that keyboard utilities can be used to remap any of the standard keyboard keys, but I've never been able to override the ATK assignments on Asus' special keys, or function keys. My other Asus laptop has dedicated transport buttons, and I've tried all sorts of methods to re-task those keys to iTunes or other programs, with no luck. 😞

BrodyBoy wrote:
You can disable Windows Media Player in Windows features (where you turn Windows features on and off). I always disable it, since I don't use it at all.

I have found that keyboard utilities can be used to remap any of the standard keyboard keys, but I've never been able to override the ATK assignments on Asus' special keys, or function keys. My other Asus laptop has dedicated transport buttons, and I've tried all sorts of methods to re-task those keys to iTunes or other programs, with no luck. 😞

I think you're right about the "ATK assignments on Asus' special keys, or function keys" (i.e. fn + __).
I experimented in trying to use them in Foobar, and it always shows an 'unknown' result.
For example, I want to use F1 as my 'play' button. If I use Fn+F1 to remap it, it doesn't work.
But if I just use F1(without the Fn), it works..

I also see I've made a mistake on my terminology of the arrow keys on my post #3 i.e. "arrow-function keys".
It's misleading. So I would like to change it into "arrow keys" (belonging to the standard keyboard keys).

Thus, I echo your premise "that keyboard utilities can be used to remap any of the standard keyboard keys,
but (we can't) override the ATK assignments on Asus' special keys, or function keys".

Bojamijams wrote:
I'll try this tonight, though I'm not sure how you disabled windows media player. Did you just uninstall it?

When I tried to remap the STOP arrow key (I think its UP), Foobar reported that keystroke as UNKNOWN. Then when I tried to remap the PLAY arrow key, windows media player launches in the background.

In that case, try disabling Windows Media Player first. Being a Windows component,
methinks it can't be un-installed. Then try to re-do the steps in post #3..

As Brody says, disable Windows Media Player in Control Panel > Programs and Features.
On the top-left column, click "Turn Windows features on or off" > expand "Media Features" >
un-tick Windows Media Player.
ASUS G74SX-3DE