cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i upgrade vga of G75vw to GTX 7xxM

Hasuko
Level 7
Hi,

Do anybody know can upgrade vga of G75vw to GTX 7xxM ? 😄
387 Views
11 REPLIES 11

Darknal
Level 7
To my knowledge every G7 Series laptop and it smaller cousins have soldered GPU on the board.

chrsplmr
Level 18
Yes, by buying a G750 ..

Ok .. that was tongue in cheek .. but the gpu on the g75 is soldered on the board for example.
It is a permanent part of the motherboard. So, No.
Welcome to ROG.c.

chrsplmr wrote:
Yes, by buying a G750 ..

Ok .. that was tongue in cheek .. but the gpu on the g75 is soldered on the board for example.
It is a permanent part of the motherboard. So, No.
Welcome to ROG.c.


The G75 GPU's are MXM 3.0b (ASUS proprietary PCB design) and cross compatible with other G75 models (660m/670m/670mx) The G46 and G55 models however, the GPU's are integrated into the MB making upgrading not possible.

We don't know yet on the G750 if they will accomodate another MXM slot or if it is integrated and if so, will ASUS use their last PCB design on the 7xxM's. The G75 models were 75watts with 180W PSU. The G750 most likely 100watts with 230W PSU. I would suggest just buying the G750jh or holding off for a while until some more posts on a disassembled one comes out.

Dreamonic wrote:
... the GPU's are integrated into the MB making upgrading not possible.


Agreed,
Cross compatible doesn't mean interchangeable however .. ie .. the vw had the m and the vx has the mx ..
they too are integrated .. as I understand it, making upgrading/changing it not possible.c.

chrsplmr wrote:
Agreed,
Cross compatible doesn't mean interchangeable however .. ie .. the vw had the m and the vx has the mx ..
they too are integrated .. as I understand it
, making upgrading/changing it not possible.c.


No.

You can upgrade easily by going with another models card in the G75's, however going to a standard MXM card will pose a problem since chassis modifications for fitment, heat sink altering and adaptability between stocks will need to be changed to utilize factory cooling and same cosmetic look, you also will need a modded BIOS.

The G75 660M, 670M and 670MX GPU's are interchangeable between each other, they are not integrated at all. I have made posts in the past about the differences in heat sinks for each card. To add the 670MX GPU in a VW model, all that is required is inserting its vBIOS in replace of the 660M or 670M it is replacing. The VW models only have the 660M/670M vBIOS's whereas the VX has the 660M and 670MX.

A search on Google will show you they are in fact their own PCB's unlike the G46 and G55 models, which are integrated into the MB due to size and cooling differences.

Dreamonic.

It is kind of good news for G75vw users right?? As your theory , we could upgrade G75vw model to g75vx's model 670mx. I really wish your theory is right !! and some one try to upgrade. And I want to hear a successful story.!

😄

ForCeV wrote:
Dreamonic.

It is kind of good news for G75vw users right?? As your theory , we could upgrade G75vw model to g75vx's model 670mx. I really wish your theory is right !! and some one try to upgrade. And I want to hear a successful story.!

😄


Thanks to Dreamonics help I just upgraded from a 660m to a 670M GPU
Bought the 670m off of Ebay and found a Heat sink for the 670M from bestbuys secret parts distributor lol.
The 670M went in like flowing butter melting on fresh French toast and its been running flawless ever since (last week) and still is..I love it!!!
I am using the 320.49 (Beta) drive from GForce.

GPU ASUS Original Part # 60-N2VVG1200-B23
Nvidia Chip Model #: N13E-GS1-LP-A1

670M Graphics Card Heat Sink Part # 13GN2V1AM040

Thanks Dreamonic!
G751JY-DH71|| G75VW || Intel Core i7-4710HQ (2.5GHz || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4GB || |NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M 3GB || 1 TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive, 256 GB Solid-State Drive (PCIEG2) || Intel Core i7-4710HQ (2.5GHz

Pitcher1
Level 9
if it is possible, asus still also not recommend.

Dreamonic
Level 12
Congrats on the installation and taking the time to reply back about your results, well done!

You are most certainly welcome.