cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I upgrade my G73JH to play Devil May Cry V?

kk_mw
Level 7
Hey guys, I was wondering if it's possible to take apart my G73JH ASUS ROG laptop and upgrade it to have 2gb more ram and 2gb total vram. It doesn't meet the minimum requirements to play Devil May Cry V and I really want to play it because it's one of my favorite game series. Here's the screenshot of what I need to upgrade according to Can You Run It:

Just want to know if this is possible so I can then find out what I need to buy and how to take it apart without messing it up. I'd like to continue using this laptop since it was $2000 (like 8-9 years ago, but still a lot of money for me because I'm in school currently) and not have to buy all new parts and a tower to build a PC that can run it. Thanks for any help!
7 REPLIES 7

kk_mw
Level 7
Does anyone know or is this a stupid idea?

Devil May Cry 5 Official Final PC Requirements

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4460, AMD FX™-6300, or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 760 or AMD Radeon™ R7 260x with 2GB Video RAM, or better
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 35 GB available space
Additional Notes: *Xinput support Controllers recommended *Internet connection required for game activation. (Network connectivity uses Steam® developed by Valve® Corporation.)

Yes, Stupid Question. Buy newer laptop.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
Devil May Cry 5 Official Final PC Requirements

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4460, AMD FX™-6300, or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 760 or AMD Radeon™ R7 260x with 2GB Video RAM, or better
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 35 GB available space
Additional Notes: *Xinput support Controllers recommended *Internet connection required for game activation. (Network connectivity uses Steam® developed by Valve® Corporation.)

Yes, Stupid Question. Buy newer laptop.

Lol I know it doesn't meet the requirements, my question is if I can upgrade it.

If you have to ask that question.....

Answer = No

It's an eight year old Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset laptop.

Load the game, if it works, play. If it doesn't then move on with your life.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

kk_mw wrote:
Does anyone know or is this a stupid idea?

If you search the forums, you may find posts from people who have replaced the GPU with a 650M or 770M. The G73-series GPUs can be upgraded, because they are on MXM and not soldered into the motherboard as with the majority of notebooks - check Amazon, I've seen a few there, but they are rather pricey. I am unsure about the CPU, I have also put in a question about upgrading my own G73 earlier today. According to ASUS, my SW can take up to 16 GB RAM (maxed already), but I have seen a member's computer description (that part under the name and profile pic) that states the person's G73 has 32 GB RAM. That's what I'm aiming for...

Hope you get it right. Those machines refuse to die, can just as well upgrade them until eternity.

purgitoria
Level 8
To clarify things for you a little more for you:

Most laptops have the CPU and GPU integrated into the motherboard and are soldered in so it is not possible to replace them. With yours being so old the CPU will have a completely different socket to what is currently available anyway. There are other products on the market that you could install such as an external GPU such as the Asus ROG XG 2 station but you would still be limited by your CPU performance which would probably not be able to handle it and the cost of the eGPU's is quite high so realistically you would be better looking on amazon warehouse or similar for a new laptop on a deal that is more up to date.

purgitoria wrote:
To clarify things for you a little more for you:

Most laptops have the CPU and GPU integrated into the motherboard and are soldered in so it is not possible to replace them. With yours being so old the CPU will have a completely different socket to what is currently available anyway. There are other products on the market that you could install such as an external GPU such as the Asus ROG XG 2 station but you would still be limited by your CPU performance which would probably not be able to handle it and the cost of the eGPU's is quite high so realistically you would be better looking on amazon warehouse or similar for a new laptop on a deal that is more up to date.

Thank you for the actual reply.

@jdfrench3 go **** yourself retard