cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I steal drivers from newer laptops?

pokerface
Level 9
I only want to download drivers from ASUS and not directly from Intel, nVIDIA, or Realtek

Is it ok to steal the drivers from the newer laptops like the G750JS such as its nVIDIA Driver, Realtek Audio Driver, Intel Chipset Drivers, MEI, IRST?

or will they not work properly?

Like then they list an nIVDIA Driver or a Realtek Driver, is it meant to be used across ANY realtek sound chipset or does each driver contain specific optimizations for the model it was installed on? or do they all have the same Realtek driver anyway?

Also, as we know the newer laptops have the GeForce 880, so would it be ok to install their nVIDIA Driver or is it not meant to work 100% on our GTX 770M?

I have a G750JX
ALIENWARE 18 Laptop
CPU: Intel Core i7-4900MQ CPU @ 3.8 GHz (8MB Cache)
Graphics: Dual GeForce GTX 780M SLI 2x4 GB GDDR5 RAM
Sound: Realtek ALC668 HD Audio with Klipsch Speakers
Memory: 32 GB Kingston HyperX 1866 MHz DDR3 PC3-14900 RAM
Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB SSD + Samsung 850 PRO 1 TB SSD + Samsung 840 EVO 1 TB mSATA SSD
Screen: Samsung LTM184HL01 18.4" WLED FHD (1920 X 1080) TrueLife Display PLS 16:9 1080p [SDC4C48]
19 REPLIES 19

hmscott
Level 12
pokerface wrote:
I only want to download drivers from ASUS and not directly from Intel, nVIDIA, or Realtek

Is it ok to steal the drivers from the newer laptops like the G750JS such as its nVIDIA Driver, Realtek Audio Driver, Intel Chipset Drivers, MEI, IRST?

or will they not work properly?

Like then they list an nIVDIA Driver or a Realtek Driver, is it meant to be used across ANY realtek sound chipset or does each driver contain specific optimizations for the model it was installed on? or do they all have the same Realtek driver anyway?

Also, as we know the newer laptops have the GeForce 880, so would it be ok to install their nVIDIA Driver or is it not meant to work 100% on our GTX 770M?

I have a G750JX

pokerface, our G750JW/JX/JH's have the same base hardware and many of the same hardware options as the new G750JM/JS/JZ.

The driver packages will work properly on our G750JW/JX/JH, if you pick packages that are for the same hardware in the G750JS/JM/JZ as in your laptop.

If you look at the drivers for the JM/JS/JZ, the newer ones than we have in the JW/JX/JH download areas are for the same hardware, and some are the same version with the same sizes and distribution information.

If you want to stay away from Nvidia direct downloads, then I would stay away from the Nvidia drivers for the new laptops - they have been tested on the new laptops which have different video cards.

The Asus GPU Tweak tool is a package to avoid, it only works on the new video cards with Optimus enabled

Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops vs Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?45644-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Laptops-vs-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Grap...

Most of the other packages are compatible, and some are newer than posted into the G750JW/JX/JH download areas, so they are fair game.

It looks like the Asus USB Charger+ depends on BIOS support so the newer versions may not work if your G750 BIOS doesn't support it. See posts further down in this thread. This may also affect Asus Power4Gear support as it also ties in with the BIOS. (Update).

Unless you have a G750 with Glossy 3D screen and support hardware you can download and use the newest Nvidia drivers from Nvidia.com, and even if you have the 3D version - the last 2 drivers from Nvidia have fixed the black screen at boot and crashing some 3D G750 users were experiencing.

IF you have a G750JX with Matte screen - non-3D, you should now be ok to use the Nvidia drivers direct from Nvidia.

hmscott wrote:
pokerface, our G750JW/JX/JH's have the same base hardware and many of the same hardware options as the new G750JM/JS/JZ.

The driver packages will work properly on our G750JW/JX/JH, if you pick packages that are for the same hardware in the G750JS/JM/JZ as in your laptop.

If you look at the drivers for the JM/JS/JZ, the newer ones than we have in the JW/JX/JH download areas are for the same hardware, and some are the same version with the same sizes and distribution information.

If you want to stay away from Nvidia direct downloads, then I would stay away from the Nvidia drivers for the new laptops - they have been tested on the new laptops which have different video cards.

The Asus GPU Tweak tool is a package to avoid, it only works on the new video cards with Optimus enabled

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?45644-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Laptops-vs-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Grap...

All the other packages are compatible, and some are newer than posted into the G750JW/JX/JH download areas, so they are fair game.

Unless you have a G750 with Glossy 3D screen and support hardware you can download and use the newest Nvidia drivers from Nvidia.com, and even if you have the 3D version - the last 2 drivers from Nvidia have fixed the black screen at boot and crashing some 3D G750 users were experiencing.

IF you have a G750JX with Matte screen - non-3D, you should now be ok to use the Nvidia drivers direct from Nvidia.

Thanks a lot, thanks to the new updated Blutooth Driver 8.0.1.314 the boot issue has been fixed with ANY nVIDIA Driver I install.

With that being said, I have the latest nVIDIA Drivers installed but someone here said ASUS recommends installing their drivers not the nVIDIA ones for better 3D support or something I forgot. I don't know what am I mising by running the latest nVIDIA Drivers

The ASUS Drivers are ancient compared to the nVIDIA ones 😞

All the drivers did work with the exception of the ASUS USB Charger 3.1.7 and 3.1.8 don't work

can you confirm and tell me why those don't work? I thought they are not actually a driver but like a function

why doesn't it work I get an error on boot up
ALIENWARE 18 Laptop
Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB SSD + Samsung 850 PRO 1 TB SSD + Samsung 840 EVO 1 TB mSATA SSD
Screen: Samsung LTM184HL01 18.4" WLED FHD (1920 X 1080) TrueLife Display PLS 16:9 1080p [SDC4C48]

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Thief! He's stealing! :c

hmscott wrote:

All the other packages are compatible, and some are newer than posted into the G750JW/JX/JH download areas, so they are fair game.

Thanks a lot, thanks to the new updated Blutooth Driver 8.0.1.314 the boot issue has been fixed with ANY nVIDIA Driver I install.

With that being said, I have the latest nVIDIA Drivers installed but someone here said ASUS recommends installing their drivers not the nVIDIA ones for better 3D support or something I forgot. I don't know what am I mising by running the latest nVIDIA Drivers

All the drivers did work with the exception of the ASUS USB Charger 3.1.7 and 3.1.8 don't work

can you confirm and tell me why those don't work? I thought they are not actually a driver but like a function

Also, is the Realtek Audio chipset on the newer laptops the exact same one on our G750JW/JX/JH? or was it updated?h
ALIENWARE 18 Laptop

pokerface wrote:

Also, is the Realtek Audio chipset on the newer laptops the exact same one on our G750JW/JX/JH? or was it updated?h

Asus USB Charger 3.1.7 is what I had installed, and it was working fine. I installed 3.1.8, and it is working too. You need to uninstall the old driver and reboot before installing the new one.

(Update) It looks like the Asus USB Charger+ depends on BIOS support, and some G750 BIOS' aren't able to support the newer Asus USB Charger+.

I don't know what Realtek chipset is used in the new laptops, but Asus is posting the same driver package with the new laptops.

pokerface
Level 9
ok lemme try again
ALIENWARE 18 Laptop

pokerface
Level 9
Here is the error that happens after I install 3.1.8 or 3.1.7

I have even tried this on a clean install it's the same

I did uninstall the previous USB Charger and rebooted

What do you think this might be? and how come you didn't get this error?
ALIENWARE 18 Laptop

pokerface wrote:
Here is the error that happens after I install 3.1.8 or 3.1.7

I have even tried this on a clean install it's the same

I did uninstall the previous USB Charger and rebooted

What do you think this might be? and how come you didn't get this error?

Enable the Charger+ in Battery Mode option in the Advanced section of the BIOS. Once you Enable it, you won't get the error 🙂

(Update) It looks like the Asus USB Charger+ depends on BIOS support, and some G750 BIOS' aren't able to support the newer Asus USB Charger+. It works fine on my JHA 204, some some JX's running 208/209 aren't working.

pokerface
Level 9
I did that, same thing 😞

I am on BIOS 209 if that matters
ALIENWARE 18 Laptop