cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Install 860m in G750JW

superman2k2
Level 9
I have search this forum with know real answer to my question. I have a GTX 765m install at the moment. Can I buy an Asus GTX 860m with heat sink (pic below) that was taken from a G751 and install it in my G750? I know I have to get bios and my have to mod the case a little but my question is will it work?
14 REPLIES 14

code9523
Level 9
Yes! It will work! PCB of gtx765 and gtx860 are the same size and fittings so it should be bolt on. IMO Gtx 770 is better than 860 also it has more vram and cost the same.
Asus G74SX> Asus G55VW 3D> Asus G75VW 3D> Asus G750JW> Asus G750JX> Asus G750JH

code9523 wrote:
Yes! It will work! PCB of gtx765 and gtx860 are the same size and fittings so it should be bolt on. IMO Gtx 770 is better than 860 also it has more vram and cost the same.

Similar question, here. I have the 770m right now but in a year or so I want to upgrade to the 880 or 980. Will they fit?

Nonpossible wrote:
Similar question, here. I have the 770m right now but in a year or so I want to upgrade to the 880 or 980. Will they fit?

Nope)) The body construction and cooling is bigger so you will need a lot of rebuild!

1. GPU
2. CPU AND GPU cooling with fans
3. Bottom case
4. Power brick 230 watt
5. Power connector board

superman2k2
Level 9
Thank you for the reply

hmscott
Level 12
Guys, while all this talk of upgrading a G750 to a newer / larger GPU is interesting and exciting, noone has every done it successfully, ever.

So I would get the idea out of your heads and back into the reality of getting the most out of the laptop you have, and take good care of it for eventual resale or passing on to a friend or relative that can appreciate it.

Hacking it up to try to make work a GPU upgrade isn't the best way to treat your laptop or spend $$$.

Save up for a new G751, or what comes after it, and pass on your current G750 to a friend or relative that will appreciate it.

The G750 was built with replaceable parts for easy build and service, not for upgrading.

hmscott wrote:
Guys, while all this talk of upgrading a G750 to a newer / larger GPU is interesting and exciting, noone has every done it successfully, ever.

So I would get the idea out of your heads and back into the reality of getting the most out of the laptop you have, and take good care of it for eventual resale or passing on to a friend or relative that can appreciate it.

Hacking it up to try to make work a GPU upgrade isn't the best way to treat your laptop or spend $$$.

Save up for a new G751, or what comes after it, and pass on your current G750 to a friend or relative that will appreciate it.

The G750 was built with replaceable parts for easy build and service, not for upgrading.

I put a g750jx board in my g750jh the story was like this:

I owned g750JX with gtx770m gpu and I was thinking of upgrade in past I found on local market that one guy was selling water damaged g750JH for pretty cheap))) So I bough it for experiments))) I took 2 laptops apart and started to build))) I took my keyboard and mother board from my g750jx and installed it in to g750jh but I also installed gtx780m which fortunately wasn't damaged! After powering up nothing burned or smells bad))) But the only one problem was that in windows gtx780m was not detected or it was like "Standard Microsoft GPU" or something like this. So I figured out that I need to flash bios from g750jh to my g750jx board I flash a simple mod by afudos and after it keyboar light gone((( so I flashed another time but now using original g750jh rom thro winflash and keyboard light turn on and everything is working fine (also now i'm typing from g750jh which i build) I also repair an original g750jh board and assembled my second g750jx together and it's works also fine! When building I find out that motherboards in both laptops are identical and they both are asus g750JW motherboard rev 2.1 PCB made in china))) Now abut cost I got g750jh water damaged for 600usd and I send mb after rbuild to service where It was repaired for 50usd also I bough a used keyboard for 100usd and now I have two working laptops. So I think the cost is not much for such stuff!

code9523 wrote:
I put a g750jx board in my g750jh the story was like this:

code9523, you are talking about the other end of the horse 🙂

You replaced a motherboard, now think that all the motherboards are interchangeable, but they aren't the same, the are different according to the parts built into/onto the motherboard. The BIOS will load, and not find some things, but find others, and appear to work - it may be enough - it may not be enough.

Just because the basic blank board is the same doesn't mean it is built out the same for every model.

The other end of the horse is of a completely different color.

Replacing the motherboard with a lessor model isn't the same as swapping in a larger hotter more power hungry GPU into an inadequate host system, that has less support for high power and higher temperature components.

Just because all the laptops use the same battery, motherboard blank, other parts, doesn't indicate you can put them together as a whole by doing a Frankenstein build and it will look like Marilyn Monroe when you are done. 🙂

And, the reason I am following up on this is because there are lots of less experienced people out there that will take the bait, and try to do it for themselves - because they want so bad to install a 980m/880/780m in their laptop - but it won't work.

They will have a basket of parts, receipts for things they can't return, and can't sell. And at the end of the operation, the patient will be a fugley'stein and not work.

Please don't encourage them. 🙂

hmscott wrote:
code9523, you are talking about the other end of the horse 🙂

You replaced a motherboard, now think that all the motherboards are interchangeable, but they aren't the same, the are different according to the parts built into/onto the motherboard. The BIOS will load, and not find some things, but find others, and appear to work - it may be enough - it may not be enough.

Just because the basic blank board is the same doesn't mean it is built out the same for every model.

The other end of the horse is of a completely different color.

Replacing the motherboard with a lessor model isn't the same as swapping in a larger hotter more power hungry GPU into an inadequate host system, that has less support for high power and higher temperature components.

Just because all the laptops use the same battery, motherboard blank, other parts, doesn't indicate you can put them together as a whole by doing a Frankenstein build and it will look like Marilyn Monroe when you are done. 🙂

And, the reason I am following up on this is because there are lots of less experienced people out there that will take the bait, and try to do it for themselves - because they want so bad to install a 980m/880/780m in their laptop - but it won't work.

They will have a basket of parts, receipts for things they can't return, and can't sell. And at the end of the operation, the patient will be a fugley'stein and not work.

Please don't encourage them. 🙂

This is not an instruction or advise to do! I don't tell anyone do like me and you'll be fine! This is just my experience of modding my laptop without any frankenstain build! In my case everything was bolt on and feet it's place without any modding! About a mother board's I loked for two hours under a microscope to find out any difference because I was scared to burn something because of another parts soldered to it but they where IDENTICAL!!! Even bios chips are same but only with another firmware on them! In this g750 series asus used 2 profiles of bottom case and two types of heatsinks first are flat like in g750jw and g750jx and other are fat like in g750jh g750jy etc. I ran now on gtx780m with overclocking +135mhz on core and 500mhz on memory the temperature is 80 - 82 Celsius after 2 hours of gta5 playing using mx4 thermal phaste so I think my beast breathes good))). I also haven't got any spare parts from my build))) Everything is on it's place and running good! I do not want anyone to brake their laptop's because of modding. I'm enthusiast and I'm not afraid to do something even if I will brake something it will be my experience which for me cost much more than some PCB's))) Everyone should do everything at his own risk and I think this forum is for exchanging of experience and resolving problems and not for forbidding to do something.

P.S. Also I know that asus and it's workers don't want anyone to mod something to let your laptop stay with you for year or two they just want you to buy a new laptop because its business)))

Take the G-models, there are many SKUs but given the model you chose, will in fact have many things the same as other SKUs of that particular model, even right to the BIOS. This is why the GPU/RAM/CPU/HDD/LCD etc. are for the most part, interchangeable between their models so that manufacturers can create more SKUs.

I've conversed before in the past with hmscott and he feels compelled to address posts he deems hearsay, like he's speaking on behalf of the entire ROG community, shunning those who speak 'blasphemy' that is to do with overclocking/modding on this particular forum. On one side, it's very informative to share findings like the one code9523 did due to the fact that most people are curious by nature. I understand that people observe everyone's success in the way it was attained and what was done to achieve it, then to follow suit, expecting it to be the same for themselves when they trod down that very same path. We know, It rarely ever goes the same exact way. In fact this is why our perspective on people can change. A long time ago, you wouldn't see me saying this, but now here I am because I understand the importance of it.

What hmscott isn't saying but saying it, is you can share these findings all you want, just do it on a different forum that isn't to do with the support on these ROG forums. Most people who have a problem with their G-model NB purchase may come to these forums for assistance. Now imagine if the good people here were very helpful in recovering whatever problem this individual had with that system, then begins reading posts on 'how to swap video cards' and 'flashing modded vbioses' etc. Possibly creating a much bigger problem for themselves in the end. Most wouldn't likely go to an overclocking site for supportive assistance for their system, they'd likely go to the manufactures site or its community one first.

If anyone wants to find this kind of information or share their own, there are other sites to use that many people know and use as well. I know it seems easier to post it on a forum based off the branded system you own and there doesn't seem to be any sticky negating these kind of posts so it seems more solely driven based on the individual.

However..

This is why hmscott discourages posts like this. People who are curious about taking on similar projects like code9523 did will know where to look. I know hmscott means well in his posts as lots of thought is involved (I read here from time to time still) and to get that kind of assistance from someone on a forum who goes the extra mile each time, is comforting, especially to people who just want to rectify their situation on a problematic machine right away. So kudos there hmscott.