cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy G751JY-DH71 2nd AC / Power Adapter?

sk3tch
Level 7
Hey guys,

Do you have a good source for me to buy a 2nd AC Adapter for my G751JY-DH71? I found some on eBay, but even though they say they're OEM/ASUS - I still question the validity of the claim(s).

Thanks!
4710HQ, 980M // 5930K, 980 SC SLI // 4930K, 980 SC // 4770K, 290X Lightning // 1pcent.com
16 REPLIES 16

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hi,

If you're in the U.S., not sure if you wanted to buy the ASUS 230W adapter from the U.S. eStore site, but looks like it's posted for the G750JZ and G750JH models if you want to trust me, confirm with eStore or others that it will also be okay for your G751JY.

http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=6517

Otherwise, hopefully others have more suggestions.

fidelity101
Level 7
I tried purchasing from the estore but I've never been able to actually make the purchase before the website times out and I have to start over...so I finally found this option on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351253407847?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=620418756821&ssPageName=STRK%3...

I'm going to order one so I'll report back once I know it works.

cl-Albert wrote:
Hi,

If you're in the U.S., not sure if you wanted to buy the ASUS 230W adapter from the U.S. eStore site, but looks like it's posted for the G750JZ and G750JH models if you want to trust me, confirm with eStore or others that it will also be okay for your G751JY.

http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=6517

Otherwise, hopefully others have more suggestions.

fidelity101 wrote:
I tried purchasing from the estore but I've never been able to actually make the purchase before the website times out and I have to start over...so I finally found this option on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351253407847?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=620418756821&ssPageName=STRK%3...

I'm going to order one so I'll report back once I know it works.

Thank you, guys. I saw that auction, too - fidelity101. It looks very "fake" - but that doesn't mean it isn't going to work. 🙂

cl-Albert - thanks for the tip. I am 99.99% certain that the adapters are the same between the G750 and G751. Here's a screenshot of mine - attached.

EDIT - I was able to check out...$101 with the cheapest shipping. Their SSL cert expired so you have to push past it (I was using Chrome). When/if I receive it - it'll be next week or so. I'll report back. 🙂

4710HQ, 980M // 5930K, 980 SC SLI // 4930K, 980 SC // 4770K, 290X Lightning // 1pcent.com

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
sk3tch wrote:
cl-Albert - thanks for the tip. I am 99.99% certain that the adapters are the same between the G750 and G751. Here's a screenshot of mine - attached.

sk3tch, yes my information shows the G750JH, G750JZ, G751JT, and G751JY all use the same 230W adapter.

fyi. If it matters for other customers though, some of the other G750 models like the G750JX and G750JW as well as the G751JM appear to use the smaller 180W adapter, so basically, they aren't all the same in regards to the AC adapter.

fidelity101
Level 7
My first impressions are very poor! The AC plug is crushed together. The actual converter box is 220W instead of 230W. The plug on the converter box is the wrong version...but they include some cheap looking adapter.

I spent about $100 with shipping for this ebay version and I will probably return it and try again to buy the original charger which seems to be SUBSTANTIALLY better quality.

sk3tch
Level 7
Bummer man. I received mine from ASUS and it's a perfectly matched version with the original.

fidelity101
Level 7
Quick update: I swapped out the broken AC plug, which they offered to replace at no charge. They also include an adapter which takes the older style plug (From the Asus G75 series) and converts it to the new style (G750 and G751 series). I took the risk and plugged the power adapter into my computer and it seems to be charging the laptop just find. I'll do some more tests, by playing video games, to see if it holds up but I'm thinking I may just order another original adapter as well consider it's the same price.

Note 1: The adapter cord gets hot after playing 5 minutes of FarCry 4. The connector looks like cheap tin so it's not a big surprise.

I'm going to return it and buy another one from the manufacturer.

hmscott
Level 12
fidelity101, it's always good to have 2 or 3 power adapters for laptops you are moving around a lot. 1 at home, 1 at work, 1 to keep in the bag when mobile.

It's good to have a spare good power adapter should one die. I was stranded once with a dead power supply, couldn't charge the battery, and Asus took 2 weeks to get me a new one.

At the time the laptops weren't as demanding as today, so I could get a Targus power adapter to tide me over. The Asus adapters were so much better I returned the Targus and got 2 spare Asus power adapters.

Ever since I always make sure to buy at least 1 extra power adapter asap after getting the laptop 🙂

fidelity101
Level 7
Thanks hmscott...I've been trying to buy a spare without success. I've tried Amazon and ebay but neither source carries the original charger. I tried the aftermarket power supply and it failed horribly. The adapter they provided got very warm...I returned it immediately as i don't want to risk damage to my nice laptop.

As I'm trying this, I'm trying over and over until I can get an order through on Asus' website. I just want a spare power supply...it shouldn't be this hard!!!! 🙂