cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new g551jw dissaster! Graphics corruption!

bixtape
Level 7
Hello guys ,so as the title says, my laptop is horrible. I've bought it 2 months ago and it already makes huge problems. Despite the fact that it heats to 90+ C in csgo, there is a fault in the gpu. For the heating i manage to cool it down with a vacoom cooler which is doing great job and decreases it to around 60 C. Not a problem with that , but the gpu thing is a whole new story. You are my last hope to help me if this might be a software problem or ill have to deal again with the Asus services. I've sent the laptop with a clear description of a gpu problem to Asus. Now ,I had it returned after 2 weeks with a fault in my screen which has absolutely nothing to do with my problem.(They've replaced the screen lol because of their diagnostics it appeared to be a fault in the screen and in the end the problem still exists) So straight to the problem - when i open ANY game such as CSGO,dota 2 , some single player games , hearthstone - the colours and the images are changing, blinking dots, sometimes the whole display ( IN GAME) goes black and grey and you cant see anything. Interestingly this happens mostly when i open it and appears for like 5 minutes and then dissapears. This happens only in games ,theres absolutely no problem in desktop/sites, the video that im showing is not in its worst times
https://vimeo.com/197883143 . Hearthstone is not a heavy game at all , the laptop is running it more than smoothly but theres a fault in the gpu i guess. Now since I can't really afford to be left without laptop for 2 weeks , I'm really hoping that you guys have bumped into such a problem and know how can I fix it if its possible without again sending it to Asus 😕 Thank you! Oh and reinstalling drivers doesn't work.
8 REPLIES 8

Armesis
Level 10
Like many have said here, ROG laptop screens are very unreliable, the video you posted looks alot like mine when it was dying. Mine only lasted 5 months until it was replaced, now after 2 months it is showing signs of failure again (screen remaining black on startup). It really sounds like a hardware fault, make sure they change the DP cable along with the screen if they do change it again. My laptop is a G752VY btw.

Armesis wrote:
Like many have said here, ROG laptop screens are very unreliable, the video you posted looks alot like mine when it was dying. Mine only lasted 5 months until it was replaced, now after 2 months it is showing signs of failure again (screen remaining black on startup). It really sounds like a hardware fault, make sure they change the DP cable along with the screen if they do change it again. My laptop is a G752VY btw.

What they have replaced exactly is LCD + LVDs Cable ( whatever this is ) I can't get why would it be a screen fault when the problem appears only in game? If im not in a game it is completely fine, and we are talking about not that much stressing games so it's kind of the same as in peace condition... Ive never had that black screen on startup, but sometimes when again this problem appears in the game , the laptop just blocks and i must restart it 😕 Really i guess it should be the gpu because when you open a game the gforce starts working and when not gaming the intel card is working? Not completely sure about that lol but im just guessing

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
bixtape wrote:
What they have replaced exactly is LCD + LVDs Cable ( whatever this is ) I can't get why would it be a screen fault when the problem appears only in game? If im not in a game it is completely fine, and we are talking about not that much stressing games so it's kind of the same as in peace condition... Ive never had that black screen on startup, but sometimes when again this problem appears in the game , the laptop just blocks and i must restart it 😕 Really i guess it should be the gpu because when you open a game the gforce starts working and when not gaming the intel card is working? Not completely sure about that lol but im just guessing

Have you tried to connect an external display to check if the problem occurs there?
That is usually a good way to help confirm if the problem is only with the notebook screen, or with something else like the GPU although it could also be temperature related.
If the problem occurs with a benchmark too, try to include that and ask the techs to try it to make it easier for them to catch, but let them know how long it normally takes to show up.
Make sure to check temperatures too in case there is any problem with the cooling system as well.

Hope this helps and good luck!

cl-Albert wrote:
Have you tried to connect an external display to check if the problem occurs there?
That is usually a good way to help confirm if the problem is only with the notebook screen, or with something else like the GPU although it could also be temperature related.
If the problem occurs with a benchmark too, try to include that and ask the techs to try it to make it easier for them to catch, but let them know how long it normally takes to show up.
Make sure to check temperatures too in case there is any problem with the cooling system as well.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Thank you for ur comment! I have used my tv as a screen with hdmi and yes it again appears. About temperature it starts right after i open the game , from cool condition immediately appears... I'm going to run now the software Realbench, although ive tried with other benchmarkers and nothing happens, the problem only occurs in games ( many games) 😕 I'm not satisfied by the actual cooling of the laptop , csgo reaches like 90 C + and however ive mentioned this in the application form for repairment they didn't do anything about it even though i've discussed it with a representative of asus and said it is not normal temperature. I do know those models run hot but i think around 92C (stressed) in cool environment is not normal at all. However the GPU is the bigger problem, with my vacoom cooler the GPU/CPU reach at most 65-70 C so it's fine with it. I really can't afford sending the laptop for repairment at this moment , and I want to discuss it here with you guys for any kind of solutions or atleast to have an idea what to explain to the service exactly so they can do their job properly and not try to just fool me around and waste my time. **UPDATE** so thats the benchmark results no idea of the scores i guess they are fine? http://imgur.com/a/Bmj7D and shall i stress test it now?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Sorry if there was any confusion, but if you send back the notebook again was just afraid the repair office may not be able to easily to catch the problem, so was hoping you could just include a benchmark or some program that would show the problem right away.
If it only happens with games, be sure to mention this and maybe include some pictures or screenshots as well as more than 1 game they can run to see the issue (not sure how long or easily the technicians can 'play' games though, so you may also want to include some simple instructions for them to follow to see the problem).
Don't forget to mention the problem occurs on the external monitor too and including a picture for them is always a good idea if not too difficult.

If you don't want to send back the notebook right away though, hopefully someone else has better ideas to resolve it.

cl-Albert wrote:
Sorry if there was any confusion, but if you send back the notebook again was just afraid the repair office may not be able to easily to catch the problem, so was hoping you could just include a benchmark or some program that would show the problem right away.
If it only happens with games, be sure to mention this and maybe include some pictures or screenshots as well as more than 1 game they can run to see the issue (not sure how long or easily the technicians can 'play' games though, so you may also want to include some simple instructions for them to follow to see the problem).
Don't forget to mention the problem occurs on the external monitor too and including a picture for them is always a good idea if not too difficult.

If you don't want to send back the notebook right away though, hopefully someone else has better ideas to resolve it.

For some reason it doesn't appear on benchmarks... It says that everything is okay. Will definitely do those steps when sending the laptop , to make sure they resolve the problem.I'm not sure if they have the right to access any data on the laptop though? However if anyone has any idea before i send it ( that's gonna happen in more than 2 weeks) i will very be thankful!

If your not able to duplicate the issue with a benchmark or burn in software, then your probably not having a hardware issue, what programs are you using? Furmark will max out any GPU, Hwinfor64 sensors can be set up to log loads and temps of both CPU And GPU. I use Test In to max out CPUs its a paid for program but I think they have a free trial. See if you can Isolate exactly what is happening, document it a supply a way for the tech to duplicate it.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
If your not able to duplicate the issue with a benchmark or burn in software, then your probably not having a hardware issue, what programs are you using? Furmark will max out any GPU, Hwinfor64 sensors can be set up to log loads and temps of both CPU And GPU. I use Test In to max out CPUs its a paid for program but I think they have a free trial. See if you can Isolate exactly what is happening, document it a supply a way for the tech to duplicate it.

i have tried funmark, it doesnt appear there , really no idea. But it can't be 100 % sure software problem since its not just 1 game , I have tried like 4-5 games and it appears in all of them 😕