cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS update is oppressing me!

Skull6
Level 10
OK. In my eargerness to help my stock G75VW-BBK5 (Win 7 Home Premium) do better in the recent Super Pi competition, I updated some things--to include updating my BIOS to 221 (I flashed it from within Windows, but don't remember which package I used atm--it owuld have been the one supplied by ASUS or something internal to Win7...I didn't install anything new to do so).

Everything seemed to go well, with no apparent glitches (even the BIOS flash). Looking into the BIOS options now, I find that I have many fewer change-able options (most are grayed out such that I cannot change those settings). The list of the options I still have the ability to change are:

Main tab - I CAN change the date & time lines (& access level is "user"--don't know if that changed)

Advance tab - I can only change the bottom 4 listings

Boot tab - I cannot change ANY of the options - all are grayed out

Security tab - I can change the user password & can change the I/O interface security settings

Save & exit tab - the only options I can choose are the "Save changes & exit," Discard changes & exit," "Save changes" & "Discard changes."

I remember having a few more options to change prior to this latest flash. I'm thinking that I may need to re-flash, but as this is the BIOS, I'm reluctant to try anything further for fear of screwing things up worse.

I have also noticed that no matter what I do to try to disable both Turboboost & to disable the touchpad, they both are active again after restart. I don't know if this is the "new normal," or if this is another symptom of the problem.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
"If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't move, pick it up. & if you can't pick it up...paint it RED & BLACK !!"
G75VW-BBK5 {stock}

............ Macrium Reflect ..................Full G55VW/G75VW model list!
6 REPLIES 6

TenBlade
Level 11
Did you clear CMOS before flashing?

Skull6
Level 10
How would I do that on this laptop? I cannot find anything pertaining to resetting the CMOS in the user manual.
"If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't move, pick it up. & if you can't pick it up...paint it RED & BLACK !!"
G75VW-BBK5 {stock}

TenBlade
Level 11
Hmm, well, took a look around, it seems that to really clear CMOS on that babe would be to do some open surgery and remove the CMOS battery, or use a jumper it the batt. is soldered on.

Found this guide too, don´t know if you did it like that.

http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G75VW&p=3&s=388&os=&hashedid=gkyI...
Would however enter BIOS and revert to factory default settings first.

Skull6
Level 10
Do you (or anyone else) know if the G75VW BIOS supports EZ Flash? (I see the directions in my user manual, but the manual was written prior to BIOS version 221)

I'll see if I can revert to defaults & try the method you've linked to. Thanks.
G75VW-BBK5 {stock}

Skull6
Level 10
Thanks all. EZFlash ROCKS! All fixed now. Thanks again.
G75VW-BBK5 {stock}

Pitcher1
Level 9
hi, good for fix, ASUS BIOS can be flashing in BIOS and Windows, BIOS use ezflahs, windows use Winflash.