cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS update for G750JW

Hitchy
Level 7
Hi there,

I'm planning on updating the BIOS on my G750JW which came with the 210 version I think (Under XTU in BIOS version i see G750JW.210 so I suppose this is it right?).

I need your help please before launching the process.

So firstly what stable BIOS version do you advise me to get? Please note that i'm Under Win8 64bits and planning to stay that way (not switching to Win8.1 for now)
Secondly once updated the BIOS do I need to update my drivers? If yes which ones are critical?
What particular précautions should I take before/during the process?
And lastly : should anything go wrong after the update can i downgrade to my actual BIOS version (201)? and how?

Thank you for your help!
12 REPLIES 12

Hitchy
Level 7
Thanks hmscott for ur reply : comprehensive and precise as always.

in fact by reading ur post I just realized that i got the latest Bios update for my model JW. In fact i though I had the 201 ver but I misread that it is the 210 :). but as u said i think i ll contact them to see if any other update was released.
For the Win 8.1 I think i ll wait or even not upgrade. I read so many bad expériences around that I prefer not to.
In fact i'm planning on installing Win7 as dual boot with my Win8: but for this i need patience and a full day free of children and work responsibility which I lack of this moment 🙂

tx again

Hitchy wrote:
Thanks hmscott for ur reply : comprehensive and precise as always.

in fact by reading ur post I just realized that i got the latest Bios update for my model JW. In fact i though I had the 201 ver but I misread that it is the 210 :). but as u said i think i ll contact them to see if any other update was released.
For the Win 8.1 I think i ll wait or even not upgrade. I read so many bad expériences around that I prefer not to.
In fact i'm planning on installing Win7 as dual boot with my Win8: but for this i need patience and a full day free of children and work responsibility which I lack of this moment 🙂
tx again

Rather than putting effort into going backwards, perhaps take the time instead to clone your boot drive, and set the original aside, and work on the copy, upgrading to WIndows 8.1, and if nothing goes wrong - which it likely won't - you would be at 8.1 - with a backup should anything come up as incompatible down the road.

Unless you have hardware, like a USB headset, that is known incompatible with Windows 8.1, there isn't much I have run across that won't work just as well on Windows 8.1 - and now that all the hardware drivers for Windows 8.1 are out, everything seems to be go for recommending upgrading to Windows 8.1.

If you have anything specific you found that you are worried about, post the link(s) here and we can take a look - someone probably has gone through it already and has a solution.

You could also do a Windows 7 Virtualbox / Vmware container and host it on Windows 8.1, so you could have the best of both worlds at the same time. That is what I do - I have a number of VM's - mostly Linux - to use while hosted on Windows 8.1.

Don't forget to do an Asus Backtracker backup of your Windows 8 recovery partition, if you haven't already.

Let us know what you work out, and how you like it 🙂

Amenophis
Level 10
I take it that it didn't go too well for ol' Hitchy. It might be that he decided to upgrade his BIOS and it caught fire. I would think though that after two years, he would be able to afford a new computer but then he did mention children. I feel so bad for him and the computer.