cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS question (202 or 203)

mjstrd
Level 7
Looking to update my G74SX-XT1, should I grab the 202 then 203 or would the 203 have the previous updates from 202 built in?
Asus G74SX-XT1

12GB RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 560M 3GB VRAM [285.79 Beta]
Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0GHz
Windows 7 Professional (64bit)
120GB OCZ Vertex III SSD
500GB HDD
341 Views
7 REPLIES 7

BrodyBoy
Level 10
mjstrd wrote:
Looking to update my G74SX-XT1, should I grab the 202 then 203 or would the 203 have the previous updates from 202 built in?

The updates are cumulative......so you can always go straight to the latest one.

Ok thanks for the info, I've only updated a few bios' in my time. Much appreciated for the reply back.
Asus G74SX-XT1

12GB RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 560M 3GB VRAM [285.79 Beta]
Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0GHz
Windows 7 Professional (64bit)
120GB OCZ Vertex III SSD
500GB HDD

mjstrd wrote:
Ok thanks for the info, I've only updated a few bios' in my time. Much appreciated for the reply back.

In case you haven't already seen it in a million different places all over this forum, don't use the Windows-based WinFlash utility. Whenever you need to update an Asus computer BIOS, use the EasyFlash utility in the BIOS itself.

Heh ya, I did the update shortly after you posted and I used the utility from the bios. I've read up on the windows program trying and it seems to not work very well.
Asus G74SX-XT1

12GB RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 560M 3GB VRAM [285.79 Beta]
Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0GHz
Windows 7 Professional (64bit)
120GB OCZ Vertex III SSD
500GB HDD

Let me start by saying that I have NEVER updated a BIOS before.

MJSTRD,

How did you upgrade go? Any issues?

BrodyBoy,

I saw a thread with a link to a PDF file that you created which shows directions and pictures of an upgrade for the G74, but the link goes to a page that says the doc has been deleted or removed. Is the PDF docs still available? I plan to go to version 202. Is there a compelling reason to move to 203 if you do not have 3D? What is the smallest size flash drive you can use. I have a couple of small ones (250K), then jump to an 8GB and then 16GB.
ASUS G74SX-XT1
Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0GHz,
16GB DDR3,
500GB HDD + 750GB Secondary HDD
3GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M (296.10)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Sentelic TP, BIOS version 203

GEB aka newbie wrote:
BrodyBoy,

I saw a thread with a link to a PDF file that you created which shows directions and pictures of an upgrade for the G74, but the link goes to a page that says the doc has been deleted or removed. Is the PDF docs still available? I plan to go to version 202. Is there a compelling reason to move to 203 if you do not have 3D? What is the smallest size flash drive you can use. I have a couple of small ones (250K), then jump to an 8GB and then 16GB.

I'd suggest you use the 8Gb or 16Gb flash drive. I believe the BIOS file is over 1Mb, so those small ones wouldn't work. I'd also suggest you just go directly to v203....if you're going to update, might as well use the latest BIOS.

Here's a link to those EasyFlash directions. (Sorry about that other link.....I didn't make that thread, so I have no way to keep it updated.)

Thanks, BrodyBoy.
ASUS G74SX-XT1
Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0GHz,
16GB DDR3,
500GB HDD + 750GB Secondary HDD
3GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M (296.10)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Sentelic TP, BIOS version 203