cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to remove a key on G750JW??

BradM73
Level 7
Hi all,

My "W" key is sticking, but usable. When I push it, it usually stays down for a few moments. No idea if something is damaged or if it just needs to be cleaned. I talked with ASUS support today and they suggested I sent it in for warranty repair, which is all good, except I need the computer right now and can live with the key sticking for the time being.

My question is, what is the recommended procedure for removing a key and inspecting the spring and underlying components for dirt or other debris? I'd like to know before ripping into it and potentially damaging something. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
You can maneuver something thin and flat between a key and the case to wedge individual keys out, but I don't recommend this. A lot of end users have damaged the underlying components that secure the key in place, thus warranting a keyboard replacement - and usually at charge, since it's considered accidental damage (unless you have that included in your warranty).

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

Clintlgm
Level 14
Check out this video, my G75 keys were similar the way the key cap fits. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMrQCN_OfMk. You problem sounds similar to one that I had with my G75 in that my J key would sometimes not work I could fool with it and get it to work. I bought a replacement key kit When I installed it what I found out that was wrong was than the upper metal tabs were bent up enough that the hinge was coming loose. I put the new hinge in after bending the tabs back down for a tight fit. Haven't had any problems since I guess that was 6 months ago or so. You have to be careful if you break off one of those metal tabs your whole keyboard is done for.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro