cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to add more USB 3.0 slots to G703GI ?

Gridwalk
Level 7
Hello all,

FIrst off I gotta shout out that I love My G703GI Chimera!!!! It Rocks!

ahem,
I came here to ask what are my best options for expanding my USB 3.0 slots. I have run into an issue.... I Use a Rift VR headset, and I plan on eventually getting a 3rd sensor. Currently I am kinda boned with both my 3.0 slots used by my sensors. My 2.0 slot used by the headset USB.
So If i want to use a 3rd sensor then I am SOL. Do I need to purchase a thunderbolt expansion box just to buy and use a USB 3.0 expansion card? I know the hubs do not really expand the 3.0 options due to the USB controller built into the Motherboard. On a desktop I would just have to buy and exspansion card.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

Grid!
8 REPLIES 8

HiVizMan
Level 40
There is no need to ask the same question in multiple posts.

Once is enough.

You can add USB3 ports by buying a PCIe adaptor. They work via the PCIe lanes and not the USB controller.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
There is no need to ask the same question in multiple posts.

Once is enough.

You can add USB3 ports by buying a PCIe adaptor. They work via the PCIe lanes and not the USB controller.

I think my PCIe slots are all taken up by my SSD's that are stock for my model. Am I wrong? I don't have much experience with upgrading Laptops. Mine is roughly 5 grand. Don't want to kill it.

If I am wrong how do you run the cable out without wrecking your case?

Pardon my noobness..... This is all very new to me.

Gridwalk wrote:
I think my PCIe slots are all taken up by my SSD's that are stock for my model. Am I wrong? I don't have much experience with upgrading Laptops. Mine is roughly 5 grand. Don't want to kill it.

If I am wrong how do you run the cable out without wrecking your case?

Pardon my noobness..... This is all very new to me.

I also use an Anker 4 port powered hub without issues. USB 3.0 Hub are not created equal!!, while nothing is impossible I believe that all your PCIe access slots are used and one way or another you would have to bring that cable out of the case if you did have a free slot.I have never heard of anyone using a PCIe USB 3.0 card add-on in a notebook, Please post back if you find a solution for that. Thunderbolt may be an option for you I personally haven't had much luck using mine for USB 3.0 You may find a solution through that port
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
I also use an Anker 4 port powered hub without issues. USB 3.0 Hub are not created equal!!, while nothing is impossible I believe that all your PCIe access slots are used and one way or another you would have to bring that cable out of the case if you did have a free slot.I have never heard of anyone using a PCIe USB 3.0 card add-on in a notebook, Please post back if you find a solution for that. Thunderbolt may be an option for you I personally haven't had much luck using mine for USB 3.0 You may find a solution through that port

Hello,

I just bought, but have not yet received, a G703GI-XS98K to get back into the world of gaming and to use a VR Oculus that I got for Christmas last year. I underestimated the number USB slots that I'd need. I'll need (3) 3.0 and (1) 2.0 for optimal results. I only have (3) 3.0 total, so I'd be one short and still nowhere to plug in my mouse! So I need more USB like the OP.

An elegant solution would be to turn my USB C (which I can't think of a use for yet) into 3X plus 3.0 slots. Below is the product I picked after seeing ANKER suggested several times.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Premium-Adapter-Delivery-Chromebook/dp/B07GYL6DNV/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_produ...

Questions:
I'm haven't seen anyone use the USB C slot for VR, have seen it used successfully?
How do I tell if the USB is powered?
Have I purchased the wrong machine to do VR?
- My works has me traveling alot and I also travel in an RV and well I just like laptops, so I'm really keen to use an ASUS laptop to VR it up!

Thanks!

TLDR: Do you recommend the linked USB C hub for USB expansion slots for RV using an Oculus?

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Why not just use a powered USB Hub? :f

Not a user of RIFT VR, but do the 'Sensors' need to be plugged into your PC? Or are they just using USB as a source of power? You can just plug them into your iPhone adaptor and plug that into the wall. ;x

Darnassus wrote:

Not a user of RIFT VR, but do the 'Sensors' need to be plugged into your PC? Or are they just using USB as a source of power? You can just plug them into your iPhone adaptor and plug that into the wall. ;x

This is what I use and its on the desk where I can get to it easily. Never using all the bandwidth with two devices simultaneously. Anker model that has 7 active ports and 3 for power only.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Darnassus wrote:

they Need a USB 3.0 connection. They need 3.0 for the connection bandwidth. each sensor needs its own dedicated port. 2.0 will not work. A Hub does not truly expand your 3.0 ports. Trust me I have tried. You are capped by your on board USB Controller. So you need to get an additional Controller. The reason I ask is to see if anyone else has options I have not thought of.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Gridwalk wrote:
they Need a USB 3.0 connection. They need 3.0 for the connection bandwidth. each sensor needs its own dedicated port. 2.0 will not work. A Hub does not truly expand your 3.0 ports. Trust me I have tried. You are capped by your on board USB Controller. So you need to get an additional Controller. The reason I ask is to see if anyone else has options I have not thought of.

Then why not just get a powered USB Hub that's 3.0 / 3.1?

By the way if you aren't aware.. you'll want to connect your Hub to the LEFT side of the laptop, because your right side isn't directly mounted to the motherboard.. ;x

You should not be having issues with bandwidth with a powered USB Hub on your left side.