cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad displays, horizontal lines issue

C_Geigner
Level 7
I bought a G750J last night, went through the motions of setting up and doing all the installs. And when all was done, on all black, grey, and all the shades in between and even some of the darker colors, There are very noticeable horizontal lines. I took it back this morning exchanged it out for another one, and it has the same issue. Very noticeable horizontal lines, I am about to go back again and do another exchange, so I will be on number 3 in less than 24 hours of purchase. Not a good sign, makes me wonder if they all are like this. Even with the nvidia drivers updated, it is still there even more noticeable actually. So, lets see what this next exchange will bring, I wager it will have the same problem.
181 REPLIES 181

fleks07
Level 7
I uninstalled Splendid Utility and updated my Graphics driver to 326.80 Beta. All my lines disappeared upon reboot. I booted Skyrim with my fingers crossed, sure enough, all gone.

I can also confirm that following flecks07 reply, I updated from ASUS drivers to NVIDIA 326.80 beta and lines across display are gone- BUT, if you look closely you'll see a small squared pattern instead, in the exact areas w lines used to show. But this is much better than the lines, and I'm not sure this tiled pattern is not something any crappy matte screen will have?
PLUS- interesting change in 'pixel inversion' test regarding flickering (http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php): Until these beta drivers the flickering was noticeable in images 2b and 4b. These have now STOPPED flickering, and instead 2a and 4a are now flickering. What does that tell you experts who understand something about lcd's?
Another small addition is that I can report a 1-2fps raise with new beta drivers- not that important but worth mentioning that the drivers are heading in the right direction all together.

kellhus
Level 7
Just to add to this thread: I'm also replacing the low quality matte screen with a glossy one. Will post my progress here later on.

saudifalcon
Level 7
Hey guys. I have been following this thread. I'm pretty frustrated by the poor screen quality on my G750JX as well. My biggest issue is with the flicker (refresh rate problem). I really notice this on grey backgrounds especially, which is quite noticeable since I prefer the solid grey background for my Windows Start Screen.

Can you any of you confirm that the Nvidia Beta drivers fully resolve this flicker/refresh rate problem? If so, is there any danger to running the stock GeForce drivers. I know this laptop has a custom MXM card and I don't want to cause other issues with this.

I have also noticed that a custom refresh rate of 64hz and also the 91hz mentioned, does reduce this flicker. Do those custom refresh rates affect the longevity of the screen?

I wonder as a third solution of we can get support aware of this and see if they will replace this poor screen with the higher-end 120hz glossy screen. I know that's a long shot, but it would be worth trying I suppose.

kellhus
Level 7
I just successfully replaced my G75VX's screen (the default 1080p matte screen from AUO) with a LP173WF1-TLA2 (1080p glossy from LG) and I've got to say that it's so much better than the grainy image that the AUO offered. Again, I understand that glossy is just not an option for some people, but I really hated the crappy shadows in my games and movies (and white backgrounds during browsing) so this is a real step up again for me.

All in all it took me 40 minutes, but that's mostly because I used crappy tools combined with the fact that I'm no technician, so someone with some more skills and proper equipment should be able to do it in 15/20 minutes or so.

kellhus wrote:
I just successfully replaced my G75VX's screen (the default 1080p matte screen from AUO) with a LP173WF1-TLA2 (1080p glossy from LG) and I've got to say that it's so much better than the grainy image that the AUO offered. Again, I understand that glossy is just not an option for some people, but I really hated the crappy shadows in my games and movies (and white backgrounds during browsing) so this is a real step up again for me.

All in all it took me 40 minutes, but that's mostly because I used crappy tools combined with the fact that I'm no technician, so someone with some more skills and proper equipment should be able to do it in 15/20 minutes or so.

Can you provide a link as to where you bought the gloss screen from?
Thanks!

fleks07 wrote:
Can you provide a link as to where you bought the gloss screen from?
Thanks!

http://www.screencountry.com

So which of the slossy screens for the G750JX would you recommend?

These are the options:

http://www.screencountry.com/index.php?section=products&model=G750JX&brand=ASUS&series=OTHER%20ASUS%...

Can i use the 3d 120hz screen on my "non 3d" G750JX?

I am also looking into replacing the matte display because I think light colors looks grainy and the display is not as crisp as I would like. I had a Dell XPS 15 with a glossy display which I was very happy with so I am looking for a glossy display as a replacement.

So keep posting any display recommendations.

I am also not overly fond of the grainy CMO1720, but at least I got the "horizontal lines" issue in check, which rather seems to be a graphics driver than a hardware related issue:

Nvidia driver 327.23 for the GeForce 770M works nicely with or without Splendid. I had 331.65 installed and suddenly noticed these weird horizontal lines, only a few but noticeable ones without and tons of them with the latest "Splendid". 327.23 doesn't have the lines, if you look very closely it looks a bit like a checkerboard or thinner lines, it is basically not noticeable unless you search for it.

For now I recommend 327.23, I hope it works for you, too. 🙂

Edit: 331.93 BETA (27 Nov 2013) and 331.82 (19 Nov 2013) unfortunately have lines with Splendid and less noticeable but still annoying odd line-artefacts/lines without.