cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio devices disabled, NEED HELP URGENT

Retired
Not applicable
Hello to you all, i have visited this forum many times for help, and it has been a lifesaver.
To the issue
I have a G73h A1. Tonight i decided to play Dead Rising 2, wich means changing the audio format to 48000hz but the Realtek Audio Driver i installed from the Asus site must of had sth bad for lunch, because i wasnt able to change the audio format from 192000 to 48000. it said error format not supported. so i uninstalled the realtek, and tried to use my stock driver cd. all in all, i gave up from installing it before it got to that, and went back and instaled the high def audio driver from asus.

i restart after the installation, but now my speakers are disabled. i go into the playback devices, the speakers are there, enabled and saying ready. i go into properties, and now the levels tab has NOTHING in it, not to mention the Advanced tab is gone. and whatever i changes i try to make, when i hit apply, are cancelled. ive tried multiple realtek drivers, including the newest ones from their site. NOTHING works. i work with this laptop, and i need it BADLY to work, so id really appreciate anyone who can offer me a solution. i also tried a system restore to BEFORE this whole installing driver things happened, but it doesnt change anth regarding drivers when i do a system restore.
42 REPLIES 42

Retired
Not applicable
Not an option. i ordered this laptop from USA, i live in portugal, and i havent registered the laptop with warranty yet, but it is technically still in the warranty.(i assumed the lil book was the warranty, but no, i have to send THAT for warranty). regardless of all that, i cannot, i simplly CANNOT, afford to lose this laptop for more than a week. i have no backup computer, and i have projects wich my academic life depends on due for december. and another thing. i cant alter the volume. the hot keys on the laptop do nothing, and there is no volume level to alter. let me make this clear. when i hover over the sound icon, it says there are no headphones or speakers plugged in. when i choose troubleshoot, it tells me my audio device is disabled. i plug in headshots, it doesnt recognize that i did. in the playback devices, there are speakers, i go into speaker properties, the Advanced tab(where the audio formating is and all) is gone, and in the Levels tab, where you could alter the volume and such,there is only a blank page.

i havent tried the safe mode approach yet. and i havent tried reinstalling windows. i pray to god one of those will fix it. that or i get a usb soundcard, unless you guys tell me the usb soundcard wont work 😞

JRd1st
Level 12
Your not set to digital output instead of speakers, are you?
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

JRd1st
Level 12
When you open Realtek Sound Manager, do you see a speakers tab?

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
Yes its set to speakers. but even then i couldnt alter it, because in the playback device it doesnt let me alter ANYTHING. as for the sound manager, yes, i have a speakers tab, but it doesnt let me select any default device or such

Retired
Not applicable
it doesnt let me enable or disable ANYTHING. it just sits there, with the speakers enabled and set as default device.

Do you have anything like THX installed?

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

JRd1st
Level 12
Look in Control Panel, Sound, Playback. Is that what you were just talking about? Do you have any green markers next to devices?

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
oh and i just found out something ironic. in realtek sound manager, in the microphone tab it lets me alter the microphone volume. i turned off somwhere the microphone feedback suppressor i guess, because when i increase volume, i get the annoying shriek of when you get a guitar tooclose to its amp. ironic how such an annoying sound makes me so happy, since it signals me my speakers still fucking work.

and yes, when i speak of playback devices , thats where the speakers show up, but it doesnt let me change anything, including not having a volume slider ANYWHERE.

JRd1st
Level 12
Did you try to enable any of them. Those aren't sliders they are bar meters, if you mean what I think you do.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
yes, it has the lil green check mark n everything. it doesnt say ready, it says default device, but i guess it only says ready when its NOT set as default device.