cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Scar III G731GW - CPU 95C in GTA V

gtxplus1
Level 7
i bought G731GW (i7-9750h, rtx 2070) 3 months ago. noticed that in games CPU cores reach 95C in Pefrormance or Turbo mode in many top games like GTA V. in room is aroung 22C, notebook stands on the table.

is this tempretaure normal for this notebook?
8 REPLIES 8

luprobert
Level 7
I have almost the same model as you, i bought G731GV (i7-9750H, RTX 2060) 4 months ago and i have in GTA V , CS:GO or another games around 92-98C. I don't know if this is normaly for an expensive gaming laptop. I'm also curios if there are other people with high temps.

luprobert wrote:
I have almost the same model as you, i bought G731GV (i7-9750H, RTX 2060) 4 months ago and i have in GTA V , CS:GO or another games around 92-98C. I don't know if this is normaly for an expensive gaming laptop. I'm also curios if there are other people with high temps.

i did -120mv (cpu, cache) in Throttlestop software and reduced clockspeed from 4000mhz to 3400mhz. in Grid 2019 i have now 84C, GTA V - 87C, Battlefield V 90C.
RTX 2070 in top games loads usuaully from 80-95%

rogdood
Level 9
I've got the same Asus G731Gw and in serious sam pushed to ultra on 3440x1440 at 100 Hz, it peaks out at 97C with fans on full blast. I think either the cooling system is poorly designed as the GPU never goes above 70C no matter what I throw at it, or this CPU runs really really hot.

Was thinking about repasting it but since it's still under warranty, I'll probably leave it be as it is. Running a cooling pad as well, and a -100mV undervolt, but it makes no difference whatsoever in the peak CPU temps. Using armory crate and pushing fans to 100% (quite loud to be honest), I can maybe avoid getting more than 95C or at least get a couple of hours of gaming before it gets that hot, but it eventually still does.

A bit disappointed but as long as every G731 seems to be running hot CPUs, I don't think there's much that can be done aside from maybe a BIOS update to throttle the CPU a bit sooner, as the thermal throttling at 95C to me is a bit too late, I'd do a gradual throttle a bit sooner.

Same here. G731GW. No matter undervolted or not, the CPU reaches 95-97 even in turbo mode (fans on max like it's trying to fly away) and repasted. Guess it's kind of "normal" for this laptop.

Hey guys, welcome to ROG forum.
Regarding temperatures on i7 cpus. We have worked it out mostly. Please refer to this: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?112277-Temperature-controlling-my-laptop .
Also, since you are already using Throttlestop, you will only have to make few further changes to reign in the inferno that is i7 cpus. Good Luck!

gr8john6 wrote:
Hey guys, welcome to ROG forum.
Regarding temperatures on i7 cpus. We have worked it out mostly. Please refer to this: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?112277-Temperature-controlling-my-laptop .
Also, since you are already using Throttlestop, you will only have to make few further changes to reign in the inferno that is i7 cpus. Good Luck!

Thanks a lot. A very interesting topic!

After few months of use, I've noticed. two of the cores are reaching PROCHOT temps, while other are up to 20 degrees C cooler. It was strange, so decided to repaste (again) and all of a sudden - problem solved! Before it was behaving the same way as new and after I repasted it once. This time it was a bullseye. Temperature difference - not more than 10 degrees and 10 degrees lower. I'm still using Throttlestop, but the temps, even in (very) high demanding apps and games are not exceeding 89-90 degrees pick values. Undervoltage - 99.6 both on CPU Core and CPU Cashe. If i disable Throttlestop, temps are reaching thermal throttling, though much rarely and EDP Current blinking yellow on Core, GPU and RING . So - RMA and factory paste is quite bad. Repasting + Undervolting appears to be my way to solving the problem or most of it. The only strange thing is, I'm having BD PROCHOT warning on Core and GPU when playing Destiny (I'm testing it with this game) and PL1 red warning after one minute TS Bench, no matter the TPL limits. The only thing, that solves the PL1 limit is "Disable and lock TPL" in FIVR. If I check "Disable and lock TPL", make a test (no throttling) and unchecking again - the next TS Bench test shows no warning or throttling until restart.
EDIT: All measurements made in Windows mode. In Turbo mode - 5-10 degrees lower.

- starting at 64% test.

EDIT2: In TURBO mode - no PL1 throttling. Actually - absolutely no warnings during the whole 16 Cores 1024 M TS Bench test (PL1-85/PL2-90/PP0-130, Disable and Lock TPL in FIVR - unchecked )

Sava_Ford
Level 7
Just to join to this thread 😄 i have for last 2 months same model, and stock temp in games was about 80 c for GPU and 88 - 92 c for CPU. First i undervolted cpu core - 80 mv and cache - 70 mv. After that temp was around 84 - 88 c, little better and then underclock to 3.7 Ghz for all cores. That result temp around 80 - 84 c with maybe little performanse drop, maybe about +/- 5 fps in games. Then before few days i buy thermal grizzly thermal paste and liquid metal. Open, change complete paste on GPU and chipset and put liquid metal on CPU. I revert to 4.0 ghz and just still have little undervolt. AND now GPU is around 74 - 76 c and CPU is about 78 - 82 c. Idle temp in start was always about 50 c and now after repaste idle is about 37 - 38 c. And i m really happy now 🙂