cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG G750JW 860m + Idle = Strange Behavior

d0ublebind
Level 7
Newish Asus ROG G750JW w/ 860M (around one month old).

Issue, any time the system goes idle the CPU fan noticeably spins up.

Steps to replicate:
1) Open task manager.
2) Sort process stack by CPU use.
3) Watch system go idle.
4) Watch system process utilize 18-25% of CPU until next keypress.

The issue I am experiencing seems similar to this post: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?37780-does-your-g750-do-this-too-please-test

Is there a fix for this? Great laptop, mildly annoying that the fans consistently spin up when the device *should* be idle. Every single time I am not actively working on the laptop for a few minutes, same result. I noticed the behavior bone stock on day zero with the laptop.

The first thing I do when I use buy a ASUS laptop is use ASUS backtracker to make a recovery disk. Post purchase I added a 1TB SSD and 16GB of RAM, 24GB total (I run VMware Workstation and multiple operating systems so the RAM is critical.)

This behavior persists after a clean install from the ASUS recovery to a new SSD. The post above is worrisome, leads me to believe ASUS is shipping laptops with either a poor software or driver configuration. Is there a work around? A fix?
4 REPLIES 4

FalconFX
Level 7
Hey, i had this issue on my JH too, and i guess its not really an issue, but more of a background process that is installing/updating something, and works only when you arent using your laptop, mine always started to heat up like you say when i turn the screen off, the first time i thought it was a problem, but then i didnt interrupt it by leaving the screen off until i recognised that the load gone, and now its back to normal.

Thats how mine got fixed, try to leave it idle and see if it will fix its self, if not then i might not have a clue for you

KoolASUS
Level 7
yes, like many versions of Windows (starting with XP ?), the computer "does stuff", sometimes, when left unattended. (maintenance.... - even with Windows update off - )
It doesn't do this on battery, I think. (it's logical)

Maxter
Level 9
very likely that it's the maintenance as KoolASUS sayd. Here's the test: Leave your computer on and plugged in over-night (maintenance is set at default to run at 3AM). Then check if this CPU usage during idle occurs the next day (probably won't).

Maxter wrote:
very likely that it's the maintenance as KoolASUS sayd. Here's the test: Leave your computer on and plugged in over-night (maintenance is set at default to run at 3AM). Then check if this CPU usage during idle occurs the next day (probably won't).

@Maxter @KoolASUS @FalconFX, First, thank you all for the replies. I get that Windows, especially Windows 8 is going to run maintenance tasks in the background. I know that this is common after the first time setup of a laptop. This is more than *just* a run away maintenance process.

What I am seeing is anytime the computer goes idle, the system starts to consume 18-25% of the CPU, until the next key-press. This is not the case *sometimes* this is the case *every time*. I have come back to the laptop after a full night of idle, Fans still blowing harder than usual, and CPU still utilizing 18-25%. From my background as a system administrator I am willing to wager that on a review of event logs I will see a very high amount of system interrupts.

At work now, But I will run Process explorer & Xperf trace on the system overnight and reply with the results when I have a moment.