cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS RoG G703GI - PSU Question

Kalorean
Level 7
Hey Guys,

I am in the process of getting my first laptop in addition to my desktop. I am very much interested in the soon-to-be-released G703GI in Germany.

My question considers the 2 PSUs (crazy!). The laptop will be staying mainly in my office, but I am gonna do some traveling from time to time and have to take it with me. I won't be gaming then, so my question is:

Do I need to bring BOTH PSUs all the time to recharge it, or would one do the trick also.

Your help is much appreciated

Thx in advance!
13 REPLIES 13

romanlopez01
Level 7
One is to use the laptop and the other one is to charge the battery.
G703GI-XS98K

Sorry for reviving a dormant thread, but I just have a quick question regarding the G703GI PSU.

romanlopez01 wrote:
One is to use the laptop and the other one is to charge the battery.

Just checking, does this only apply when the laptop is turned on? i.e. a single cord is sufficient to charge the battery only if the laptop is off. Else when the laptop is on, there's isn't enough juice from one cord to power both the laptop and charge the battery simultaneously. Is this correct/wrong?

Also (sorry for sounding like a broken record) based on your replies, is it safe to assume that one cord is enough to fully power the laptop at maximum capacity, particularly when using it for gaming? i.e. one cord is enough to fully power all components. Is this correct?

I know this sounds like a repeated question but since Kalorean stated they wouldn't be gaming while traveling, I wanted to verify that the reply wasn't meant just for their specific situation.

Just in case it matters, I was planning on getting the G703GI-E5097R model (i7-8750H version).

Thank you so much in advance 🙂

Kalorean
Level 7
Thx for your answer.

For clarification: Using it with one PSU only would be akin to using a conventional laptop without battery at all, would that be correct?

Kalorean wrote:
Thx for your answer.

For clarification: Using it with one PSU only would be akin to using a conventional laptop without battery at all, would that be correct?

yes sir
G703GI-XS98K

Kalorean
Level 7
TY again, Sir!

BrandonVickers
Level 7
I have/had the same questions and concerns. I went to ASUS's support site and looked up thier manual for the G703 series laptops.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/GamingNB/G703GI/E14565_G703GI_GS_V3_A.pdf

If you look on page 28 about plugging in the power supply, it states under the dual power input model. NOTE: If you placen on using the system under high load, repeat the steps above to connect the second power supply.

So it would appear plugging both in is not a requirement. I would presume, but still like to confirm, that if you are using it for less than peak performance, it would run fine and probably charge the battery slowly.

BrandonVickers wrote:
I have/had the same questions and concerns. I went to ASUS's support site and looked up thier manual for the G703 series laptops.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/GamingNB/G703GI/E14565_G703GI_GS_V3_A.pdf

If you look on page 28 about plugging in the power supply, it states under the dual power input model. NOTE: If you placen on using the system under high load, repeat the steps above to connect the second power supply.

So it would appear plugging both in is not a requirement. I would presume, but still like to confirm, that if you are using it for less than peak performance, it would run fine and probably charge the battery slowly.

If you refer to post #35 of the following thread, this user seems to confirm "only thing that bugs me is the dual power brick and plugs. but it does charge with one. "

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-g703gi-x74-owners-lounge.816974/page-4

Thank you so much for your responses BrandonVickers! 😄 I also read the manual and assumed "under high load" implied using the laptop beyond the standard/normal capacity (i.e. intentional overclocking). But, like you, I too was hoping for confirmation from somebody who's has access to the actual laptop model.

Post #35 seems promising that the laptop can charge using just a single cord (probably when it's off or very slowly?). Hopefully someone can confirm this as well.

Thanks again.

TranMDJ wrote:
Thank you so much for your responses BrandonVickers! 😄 I also read the manual and assumed "under high load" implied using the laptop beyond the standard/normal capacity (i.e. intentional overclocking). But, like you, I too was hoping for confirmation from somebody who's has access to the actual laptop model.
have
Post #35 seems promising that the laptop can charge using just a single cord (probably when it's off or very slowly?). Hopefully someone can confirm this as well.

Thanks again.

I now own a G703GI-XS74 for a day and can fully confirm only one power supply is needed to run it for most things. However, if you are running it on extreme settings, one is barely enough. I think might even have been discharging battery slightly running it fast. I just plugged the second one to see if it was limiting me in power using only one supply.