cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus keystone not working anymore?

Galvanized
Level 7
whenever I remove it and plug it back in it doesn't recognize they keystone anymore.

Anyone have any fixes for this?
13 REPLIES 13

Galvanized
Level 7
either my keystone slot broke or the keystone itself broke? Not sure what to do ;(

I have the same problem, any help from Asus?

This is a ASUS users' forum. ASUS representatives are not frequently involved. Call ASUS Customer Service, file a claim, complain.

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

Galvanized wrote:
either my keystone slot broke or the keystone itself broke? Not sure what to do ;(

I had the same problem. my key was getting detected, but it was not opening or locking anything.
I tried uninstalling , deleting and then again reinstalling the NFC driver. But this time the key detection also stopped.
Finally i uninstalled and reinstalled the armoury crate software.
Then the problem was solved.
Hence I suggest to Uninstall both of the NFC driver and the Armoury crate and reinstall both with updated versions.

leonid_matisov
Level 7
Galvanized wrote:
whenever I remove it and plug it back in it doesn't recognize they keystone anymore.

Anyone have any fixes for this?

I've got the same problem.
When I insert the key the laptop seems to recognize it by playing a specific sound.
I've reinstalled armory crate app and service, but no changed.
Seems that the keystone is conntrolled by some othe software. Hope it's not a hardware problem.

Do you have any solution?

Your earlier post "https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?115981-asus-rog-strix-scar-iii-shadows-drive" has a good answer to this problem posted by Gps3dx.

Originally Posted by leonid.matisov on 3 January 2020

Hi, everybody!
There is a new feature in the scar iii laptop series - shadow drive. It is visible in the system only if the keystone is in place.
I have configured the shadow drive but still can't find out the following:
1/ How much space is allocated for the shadow drive? Where is it reserved?
2/ Is the space variable? Can ot be fixed?
3/ Is the drive really encripted? What is the encryption type? Once I plug the ssd of the laptop to another system, will the shadow drive still be visible?
Thanks!

read a review here: "Unfortunately, Shadow Drive encryption requires Windows 10 Pro, but local units only ship with Windows 10 Home."
That said - the encryption is probably based on windows's "BitLocker" tech, with some custom script to mount/dismount the drive from windows explorer's view.
in a YT review- you can see that they allocate the drive ~900GB ( and in my opnion it is a whole dedicated drive ).
The NFC key that comes with the laptop, beside running that script I stated, can also be used to apply specific configuration within the 'Armory Crate' app.

IMHO - Asus invents new gimmicks to lure ppl into buying stuff they don't really need.
unless you share that laptop with others, making it practically a 'kiosk' PC - IMHO - this feature is pure BS, with a hint of a lie - since they don't sell the laptop with PRO edition of windows ( thus NO BITLOCKER option is available ).

Looks you need Windows 10 Pro installed to make this option work.

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
Your earlier post "https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?115981-asus-rog-strix-scar-iii-shadows-drive" has a good answer to this problem posted by Gps3dx.

To simple quote others from another thread just click 'reply with quote' then copy all the text to the current thread you want it posted.
that way it is clear who wrote what.

Now to the topic on hand...
my quote is not specific relevant to the thread poster issue... it might be the same app, but not the same issue.
my recommendation - wipe all asus apps, download & install the latest apps from the official support page relevant to your model.
lastly, your 'keystone' might be physically broken... it is after all an NFC circuit...width of few tenth of a mm.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

leonid.matisov wrote:
I've got the same problem.
When I insert the key the laptop seems to recognize it by playing a specific sound.
I've reinstalled armory crate app and service, but no changed.
Seems that the keystone is conntrolled by some othe software. Hope it's not a hardware problem.

Do you have any solution?

I had the same problem. my key was getting detected, but it was not opening or locking anything.
I tried uninstalling , deleting and then again reinstalling the NFC driver. But this time the key detection also stopped.
Finally i uninstalled and reinstalled the armoury crate software.
Then the problem was solved.
Hence I suggest to Uninstall both of the NFC driver and the Armoury crate and reinstall both with updated versions.

I have Same Problem