cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G75VX - Horizontal Lines

StreetGT
Level 8
Hello everyone, yesterday I was joking a bit with Photoshop, with Black color when i found if the Opacity is 100 you see the horizontal lines, but if you see the opacity to 99 the horizontal lines go away!
I'm asking now myself if there is a way to calibrate the black opacity in all computer...
Calibrate Black color, something like that...
21 REPLIES 21

If anyone ends up with a Samsung panel G55 that has horizontal lines in light greys, try Brightness 47% Contrast 45% and Gamma 0.97. This won't make the lines go away completely, but will shift it to the lightest grey, which makes it near invisible in most situations----I certainly can't find it unless I'm expressly looking for it-----without mucking too much of your lovely black levels or color detail. It will still appear in certain shades of florescent green and dull blue, though.

Also at 120 Hz the flickering goes away, but it leaves behind a weird grainy effect that I'm not sure is worth it----perhaps I don't use colors in that spectrum very often.

p.s. one thing I've noticed in this panel is that there seems to be more blue in my pink gradients than usual. Anyone run into this problem?

AverageK
Level 7
snapperwhip, are you saying that you're getting the lines on a G55, and not a G75? Also, are you sure your display is a Samsung, and not a Chi Mei one? Cuz that would be quite the news, considering the problem so far (as far as I know) has been confined to G75 units with a Chi Mei panel!

Could you do us a favour and double check what kind of panel you have? Go to Device Manager, right click on your lcd, click properties, go to the details tab, and look under Hardware Ids. Also, could you please post your laptop's details (model number, graphics card, etc...)

Sorry for the hassle 🙂

Worked for me too. I read one of the reviews on Notebookcheck that claims that this is a problem with Chi Mei panels and Nvidia cards.

Yes, it says it's a 1920x1080 SEC314C panel. Google says that's a Samsung, so if it's wrong, blame Google! 😄 The video card is, IIRC, GTX 660M. I'm on my work computer right now so I can't quote the exact model number, will look it up when I get home-----but it might be something weird since I live in Southeast Asia. The rest of the machine seems to be similar to the Best Buy builds, though.

It's a bit different compared to the Chi Mei panel problems, btw. You guys get lines in dark colors, right? I get lines in very light greys (especially in beige/pink-ish gradients, though you can shift it to something else). Almost invisible on a passing glance, but noticeable if you sit in front of the screen long enough. Sometimes they just *jump* out at you.

I need to go replace my keyboard in a week or two, anyway, so I'll ask the ASUS tech there if they have this issue on their other G55 laptops. (I'll prepare a reference color file.) Maybe it's something my countrymen wouldn't report and maybe they wouldn't tell me even if the customers do report, but I *might* have a chance at figuring out if this is prevalent or a freak accident.

AverageK
Level 7
Wow, that's really interesting. Makes one wonder what the hell they're doing that's ****ing up those laptops so much. Btw, the problem is mostly in dark/black shades, but it has occurred in some colours. Specifically, for me at least, there's a certain door in Dead Island that's red, yet instead of having a solid red colour, it had lines all over it! I'm thinking there's something wrong with the way that shading is done (don't have a more scientific/accurate term). In certain colours, instead of displaying a gradual change in gradients, it's displaying those ugly lines for some reason. Hope someone figures it out soon!

I'll bet my gaming mouse that dithering has something to do with it. When I play around with the sliders, in settings *just* before lines disappear in a certain level of grey/color gradient, said gradient will dither like whoa. It's less noticeable in average use than the lines, though. Also, on pink-to-white gradients, I'll get ugly splotches of blue, like there's something wrong in how the panel/card interprets blue-red-purple combinations. (I get the lines in colors too, btw. At default settings it appears in beige, but I use beige a lot so now I shifted it away to fluorescent green. They won't appear in red even if I try, but you see it around in the blue spectrum and related colors.)

At any rate, I use the same panel as the Asus N50 series, which is reported to have fantastic screens. (And it really is fantastic, lines aside. I've almost never seen colors this gorgeous on a laptop before.) So.....it's not the panel sucking by itself. It's something acting in conjunction with it. Maybe it's just *THIS* particular panel just like my faulty keyboard is just *THIS* particular keyboard, but since it's endemic to the G series I'd assume guilty until proven innocent.

It's such a shame, though. It really is a beautiful panel, and it makes me sad that I had to lower color detail, if only a little bit.

snapperwhip wrote:
I'll bet my gaming mouse that dithering has something to do with it. When I play around with the sliders, in settings *just* before lines disappear in a certain level of grey/color gradient, said gradient will dither like whoa. It's less noticeable in average use than the lines, though. Also, on pink-to-white gradients, I'll get ugly splotches of blue, like there's something wrong in how the panel/card interprets blue-red-purple combinations. (I get the lines in colors too, btw. At default settings it appears in beige, but I use beige a lot so now I shifted it away to fluorescent green. They won't appear in red even if I try, but you see it around in the blue spectrum and related colors.)

At any rate, I use the same panel as the Asus N50 series, which is reported to have fantastic screens. (And it really is fantastic, lines aside. I've almost never seen colors this gorgeous on a laptop before.) So.....it's not the panel sucking by itself. It's something acting in conjunction with it. Maybe it's just *THIS* particular panel just like my faulty keyboard is just *THIS* particular keyboard, but since it's endemic to the G series I'd assume guilty until proven innocent.

It's such a shame, though. It really is a beautiful panel, and it makes me sad that I had to lower color detail, if only a little bit.

There is no way for fix the horizontal lines arround dark colors.
I hope people from Asus try to make an update to fix that.

GottiBoi55
Level 10
Here's a great little app for testing you panel>>> Dead Pixel Locator
Also helps when looking for lines too!

PS: BTW I don't have that problem!!!
I always use calibration tools like
"DVE-HD Basics" Blu-Ray disc to calibrate my panels.
I run the disc first thing with new systems!

GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

GottiBoi55 wrote:
Here's a great little app for testing you panel>>> Dead Pixel Locator
Also helps when looking for lines too!

PS: BTW I don't have that problem!!!
I always use calibration tools like
"DVE-HD Basics" Blu-Ray disc to calibrate my panels.
I run the disc first thing with new systems!

It's not dead pixels, it's some horizontal lines in black colors.

StreetGT wrote:
It's not dead pixels, it's some horizontal lines in black colors.

I know my friend, but this app has many solid colors in full screen (one solid color per screen) plus black that is very useful for evaluation of these horizontal lines.
So I would recommend you give it a try, you can test each color for evaluation of the
horizontal lines.
This test is great tool that will help in fine tuning brightness, and contrast levels to minimize the horizontal lines!
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"