cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G75VW Keyboard Backlight Problem [solved]

mrWoodCock
Level 7
Hey guys.
Its been a month (give or take few weeks) since the back light of my keyboard stopped working.
All I know is that it happened right after i upgraded my windows version from 8 to 8.1
I know that its not a hardware problem because the keyboard lights flashs at boot, so it has to be some software problem.
Also fn+F4/F3 doesnt work while fn+F5/F6 or fn+F10/11/12 does works.
I called asus support line and they told me that windows 8.1 does makes problems with the keyboard's backlight and they offered me to go back to 8 as a solution.
I dont want to do so because 8.1 is much more stable than 8.
I've seen some threads from the past in this forum (such as this one) but i cant find any solution.
Is there any option to get my keyboard's backlight back on while staying in 8.1?
13 REPLIES 13

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hi,

Since the hardware is working okay and the problem started after updating to Win8.1, suggest checking your ATK driver version which is related to the keyboard backlight function.

The ASUS G75VW downloads doesn't have an ATK driver posted for Win8.1, so you may want to make sure you have the Win8 ATK driver version V1.0.0023 which hopefully can solve this problem.

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G75VW&p=3&s=388

Otherwise, you can always find newer ATK drivers for other models, but may not help and there is the chance it can cause other problems (sorry, I'm a worrier), so just want to make sure you are okay with this before trying it.

cl-Albert wrote:
Hi,

Since the hardware is working okay and the problem started after updating to Win8.1, suggest checking your ATK driver version which is related to the keyboard backlight function.

The ASUS G75VW downloads doesn't have an ATK driver posted for Win8.1, so you may want to make sure you have the Win8 ATK driver version V1.0.0023 which hopefully can solve this problem.

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G75VW&p=3&s=388

Otherwise, you can always find newer ATK drivers for other models, but may not help and there is the chance it can cause other problems (sorry, I'm a worrier), so just want to make sure you are okay with this before trying it.

First of all thanks for the fast reply.
Secondly - how do I check the version of my ATK driver?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
mrWoodCock wrote:

Secondly - how do I check the version of my ATK driver?

Please check under Windows 'Programs and Features' (or add/remove programs as I like to think of it) for the 'ATK Package' version which we call the ATK driver.

cl-Albert wrote:
Please check under Windows 'Programs and Features' (or add/remove programs as I like to think of it) for the 'ATK Package' version which we call the ATK driver.

Is there any possibility that i dont have it?

Yep that would probably be your problem, the ATK package is not Bloat you need it.39482
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Yep that would probably be your problem, the ATK package is not Bloat you need it.39482

How can i get it?

is it one of these?
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ATK+Package&hashedid=n%2fa

Edit:
i downloaded the last updated installation from the link above and it works! the lights are back on!!!!!!
thank you very much guys!

GottiBoi55
Level 10
The ATK package download for the G75VW is HERE, go down to "drivers & tools" >Window 8 drop down>utilities>ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities.(at the bottom)
(The only version, there's no version under Windows 8.1)

PS: This version has been tested for your G75VW, and will work the best!

Welcome to the ROG forum!
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

GottiBoi55 wrote:
The ATK package download for the G75VW is HERE, go down to "drivers & tools" >Window 8 drop down>utilities>ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities.(at the bottom)
(The only version, there's no version under Windows 8.1)

Welcome to the ROG forum!

thank you!

Your advice was truly enlightening. It saved me a trip to the service centre. My keyboard backlight is back in action. Thank you, GottiBoi55. Thou truly art a guru.