cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G752VY Slow start Problem

Jlieu
Level 7
So, as mentioned before. I ordered 2 ASUS G752VY

Everything works perfect and the only problem is SLOW start when power button is pressed. Is it normal compared to you all?
on latest Bios.

After the power button pressed, i need to wait 5 to 6 second before the ROG Logo displayed on screen.
Compared to my old G750JZ and G751JY, only took 3+ second to complete boot into windows.

The problem same on my both G752VY.

VIEW VIDEO HERE https://youtu.be/z7nrt3U1WFo
Any help are welcome.
25 REPLIES 25

MrRuckus
Level 10
Is fast boot Enabled in the Bios? Reboot the laptop and press F2 multiple times before you see the Asus ROG logo, this will get you into the Bios. Fast boot is under the "Boot" tab. If secure boot is disabled, that will slow the bootup process also.

The Bios initialization does seem to be slower on this model over previous models, but only by a second or 2. You mention you bought 2 machines, is it the same boot time on both or just one? Are their any peripherals plugged into the laptops? That can also slow boot times.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

I've enabled fastboot. But every shutdown it will reset itself to disabled. All are connected to power cord.
both machine have same boot time one fresh windows.

Jlieu wrote:
I've enabled fastboot. But every shutdown it will reset itself to disabled.

Same issue I am having with my g752vy-rh71 except my boot time is near 1 minute. I am on the newest BIOS version 208 with 2x 950 PRo 256GB with 32GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR4 2400MHz
Prior to the update to the BIOS, boot times were on par with my G751.

Stooo wrote:
Same issue I am having with my g752vy-rh71 except my boot time is near 1 minute. I am on the newest BIOS version 208 with 2x 950 PRo 256GB with 32GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR4 2400MHz
Prior to the update to the BIOS, boot times were on par with my G751.

Are you setting up Raid 0 for The ssd? because i see no point if Raid 0 is not supported, getting 512GB 950 Pro is cheaper.

My G750 super fast, 3 second complete boot into usable windows. I wonder why newer model are slower . I think i will wait for new bios then, hopefully asus fix it.

I bought the laptop without an SSD and bought one 256GB from Newegg. Then I saw a deal from another online place for 20% off entire order and ordered another 256GB and 2x8GB of the hyper-x RAM. I was going to return the first one but would of been hit with a restocking fee of $29.50 so I kept it. If I can ever get Raid working on it I would use them both but 512GB for an OS is in excess.

Stooo wrote:
I bought the laptop without an SSD and bought one 256GB from Newegg. Then I saw a deal from another online place for 20% off entire order and ordered another 256GB and 2x8GB of the hyper-x RAM. I was going to return the first one but would of been hit with a restocking fee of $29.50 so I kept it. If I can ever get Raid working on it I would use them both but 512GB for an OS is in excess.

Raid 0 will be supper fast. Asus Bios still very buggy now as i find out the raid drivers is actually there but bios unable to configure it. This is the problem lead to unable to install samsung nvme drivers and many more.
Asus need to do something by now.

Jlieu wrote:
Raid 0 will be supper fast. Asus Bios still very buggy now as i find out the raid drivers is actually there but bios unable to configure it. This is the problem lead to unable to install samsung nvme drivers and many more.
Asus need to do something by now.

This is the only Asus laptop I've had that had as many bugs in it and I have had their machines exclusively since the days of P4PE. I downgraded the Bios and the quickboot is now enabled so yea the 208 is screwed up. Boot times still are not fast but the laptop overall is. I am getting advertised speeds of the 950 and I have a 1TB Pro for data.

JustinThyme
Level 13
G752VY-DH72
Didn't really pay much attention to it before I flashed to 208 and honestly didn't perceive any problems and just shut it down after some updates and finishing install of GTAV just to see what I got, 16 seconds from depressing the power button to log in screen then about 2 seconds from login to finished with AV up and all. Im still setting up as i just finished getting the 512GB 950 pro installed about 4 hours ago.

Is it not as fast on the boot? Maybe a few seconds but nothing I would call slow and a problem though.

EDIT

, just rolled it back to 206. 2 seconds to asus logo and 7 seconds to login. Dont know what the 208 Bios is doing to take a few more seconds but I still dont see it as a problem, especially when I compare it to the POS Dell they issused me for work that between the cheap hardware and all the crap and logger they have running on it takes every bit of 5 minutes between pusing the power button and being ready to actually use it.

If you want to roll back there is a trick to it . Winflah wont just let you and making a DOS disk is a PITA. I found this right here in another section, Credit to the OP and I can verify that it does work. Right after you finish the last cmd entry winflash will launch and it will let you roll back to an older version.

All you need to do is have Winflash installed and launch it through Command Prompt, Command Prompt can be found under Start Menu under Accessories
Now in Command Prompt navigate to where you have Winflash installed, for me i just entered " cd C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\WinFlash " with out the ""
Now simply enter "Winflash /nodate" without the ""

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11438-How-to-downgrade-your-Bios-using-Winflash

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme
Level 13
The larger 512GB size also has better read and write times over the 256. Raid is not supported on these and honestly I cant see why it would be needed. I would rather have a little overhead then to have it packed too tight. When the OS and all my software is loaded I'm using every bit of 200GB and then some. Once you factor in the boot partition and a little overhead there isnt enough left on a 256GB disk, not for me anyhow.

Im running the 512GB just fine without Samsung NVMe drivers or Samsung magician and getting speeds comparable to the platforms that can load it. NVMe driver is not needed after Win 8.1. If you bought this machine or any other regardless of manufacturer with NVMe SSDs they dont come with magician installed nor do they come with the Samsung NVMe drivers.

Asus is not the only platform that wont allow installation of these. Its new and evolving technology and it will all get worked out in sooner or later. In the mean time Im enjoying exactly what I have that is blowing everything else out of the water.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein