cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G751JY and Intel AC7260 issue [SOLVED]

Executioner55
Level 7
Hi everyone,
I purchased this used laptop to do some light gaming on. The laptop works great. Has windows 10 Pro version 1809, but the wireless card will disconnect using the recommended Asus driver for this laptop. I downloaded the latest driver from Intel when it was released in May of this year, and it has the same issues. The wireless card will disconnect randomly. After spending hours reading different threads on the issue, the drive that I have installed is dated from 2/22/2015 version 17.15.0.5 that I grabbed from Microsoft's catalog site. I still get random disconnects, but its not as bad with newer drivers that I tried. I'd like to replace this card with one that works without this issue.

Some suggested the Intel 3160. Any recommendations?
22 REPLIES 22

Here is the advance settings: looks like it's already set correctly?

Svan
Level 9
On the router not on Windows 😄 At least this one "Wireless Mode" is set well" on choice 6.
Need the Wifi standard set in the router for frequencies at 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.

Did you install the drivers ? Because with lastest drivers from intel I get 2 separate settings for Wireless mode.

The most importants settings you have to check are :

Roaming Aggressiveness : "1. Lowest" (if you have a good signal in all places your are using your laptop )
Transmit Power : 5. Highest (normally it's default setting)
Preferred Band : 1. No preference (normally it's default setting)
Wireless mode (waiting for info)

Svan
Level 9
Yes looks great just intall last driver I linked earlier and normally you should get 2 Wireless mode settings in Windows.

If you have only 1 setting like this in the router it's fine (because can not see the part at bottom on 5Ghz part but I think there is nothing there.

b/g : can use only 2.4 Ghz frequency
n : can use both frequencies (2.4GHz and 5Ghz)

After driver install you should get like me those 2 settings in windows (set them like this) :

- 802.11a/b/g Wireless Mode : 4. 2.4 GHz 802.11b/g

- 802.11n/c Wireless Mode : 802.11n

If after some testing you still have some troubles, then should be an hardware problem.

Cheers.

I have 2 now in the device manager Advance settings:

802.11a/b/g Wireless Mode value=6. Dual Band 802.11a/b/g
802.11n/ac Wireless Mode value=802.11ac

for the second one, should that be changed to 802.11n?

Svan
Level 9
You have to change both read what I posted earlier first one should be set to : 4. 2.4 GHz 802.11b/g

Don't forget to check previous settings I posted earlier too.

OK thanks. Got them changed. I'll post back in a few days after I play with it. Thanks for all your help. If I have no further issues, I'll mark the thread as solved.

BigJohnny
Level 13
they are not hard to replace. PCIhalf slot. mine lived about a year and replaced with AC8260

BigJohnny wrote:
they are not hard to replace. PCIhalf slot. mine lived about a year and replaced with AC8260

Mate, did you replace your AC7260 on the G751## with an AC8260 ?
If so.. i'm going to do the same.. the AC7260 is plagued with problems... aka like this thread alludes to, and here, also, https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Intel-Wireless-AC-7260-Adapter-reset-issues/td-p/473584. Exactly my symptom. The only way I can make it work is if I run the Windows 2015 driver.. where you get HT mode in the Advanced settings.. and you set it to HT instead of VHT.. And thus.. it runs between varied results of 150Mbps and 300Mbps .. otherwise.. it constantly resets with the `Event ID 8000 NETwNb64` issue in evtx...

What about an AC 9260 ? compat wise.. Any comments/thoughts here ?

mpgioia wrote:
Mate, did you replace your AC7260 on the G751## with an AC8260 ?
If so.. i'm going to do the same.. the AC7260 is plagued with problems... aka like this thread alludes to, and here, also, https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Intel-Wireless-AC-7260-Adapter-reset-issues/td-p/473584. Exactly my symptom. The only way I can make it work is if I run the Windows 2015 driver.. where you get HT mode in the Advanced settings.. and you set it to HT instead of VHT.. And thus.. it runs between varied results of 150Mbps and 300Mbps .. otherwise.. it constantly resets with the `Event ID 8000 NETwNb64` issue in evtx...

What about an AC 9260 ? compat wise.. Any comments/thoughts here ?

Hang on.. the physical dimensions of an AC 8260 is completely different from an AC 7260.. isn't it .. You definitely were able to slot in an AC8260 on a G751JY ?.. I don't see how that could work ? The PCI-E keying/notches between 7260 and 8260 are completely different.. aren't they ?

I haven't changed mine, but if I remember, I had to use a specific driver, and I disabled windows 10 from updating drivers. I don't have the laptop in front of me right now, but when I get it next time, I can post what driver I was using. The wireless card is still working fine with no issues.