cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G751 switches to battery when playing intensive games

cpharlok
Level 7
Hi,

Since several weeks ago I have a problem with my Asus G751. After returning from Tech service as the LED panel failed (Asus changed it at no cost as warranty), another problem appeared. When I try to load intensive GPU/CPU tasks like gaming, with the charger plugged to AC, the battery mode icon appear on screen, and act as if I just unplugged the charger/adaptor from AC. If I keep the computer low on resourcers (like surfing the internet, using Word, watching a movie...) that does not happen, and battery is at 99%.

Seems that when the power demand goes up, the charger can't deliver the amps needed. Then, I need to power off the computer for several minutes to make the charger work again.

Should I buy another charger? (I think it is a 230W one) or may be something related to a component inside the laptop? I do not have money to buy an expensive 230W charger just to see the same thing happens. Unfortunately, warranty has just expired 😞

Thank you!

Harlock
26 REPLIES 26

Greuh wrote:
Hi, since u got no responses i was thinking your issue seemsrelated with mine and also with :
ufotheswe https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99782-G751jy-switching-between-battery-and-AC-Shuts-off-wh...
SuperWeapons2770 https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98919-Asus-G751-JT-randomly-stops-charging

I also changed the battery and it is still randomly charging. I tested the power brick with a multimeter and it seems fine.

Very interesting, I will test the driver downgrade solution, I hope that works. Also, the ufotheswe thread with tests is very interesting, I will try to help if I have some spare time, I am now overloaded with work. Did you try the downgrade?

Hi,
maybe i can help.
I had the same problem for months, then the laptops stop charging completely.
I replaced the dc in pcb (not only the jack) but the complete PCB.
After the replacement I never had the mentioned problem again.

Gianandrea_Franzoni wrote:
Hi,
maybe i can help.
I had the same problem for months, then the laptops stop charging completely.
I replaced the dc in pcb (not only the jack) but the complete PCB.
After the replacement I never had the mentioned problem again.

I was afraid that was the issue, makes sense. Can you please tell us how to do it? Where to order the PCB? this can be done at home?

I bought the part from asusparts.eu the parts number is 90NB06F1-R10030 the PCB i got is marked "g751jt but it is 100% identical to the one in my JY. The only difference is the mark on the board.
In order to change the PCB you need to disassemble the laptop completely but no soldering is needed.
I had mine fixed at a repair shop... And guy there said that to him the board seem too weak for 230w in fact the old one look spotless connector and everything but doesn't work.

Thank you for the valuable information. What I do not understand is, after looking the piece with that part number, I see only a jack connector, no electronics. My jack is perfect, not physically broken. Did you remember if the piece has electronical parts or was only the connector itself? Like the image attached:

There is no electrics on the board, but in my old pcb you can see some damage to the soldered spot on the back.

My guess would be that after 3 years the temperature under 230w load have literally cooked the pcb.
Before ordering the new pcb we tested the soldered points under the connector and they were fine, but ther was no current coming through 2 of the connector on the side of the pcb.

I see. It's really strange that the bad connection limits the amount of amps that go through the DC pcb... I think I will have to have a look at mine and check