cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G751 switches to battery when playing intensive games

cpharlok
Level 7
Hi,

Since several weeks ago I have a problem with my Asus G751. After returning from Tech service as the LED panel failed (Asus changed it at no cost as warranty), another problem appeared. When I try to load intensive GPU/CPU tasks like gaming, with the charger plugged to AC, the battery mode icon appear on screen, and act as if I just unplugged the charger/adaptor from AC. If I keep the computer low on resourcers (like surfing the internet, using Word, watching a movie...) that does not happen, and battery is at 99%.

Seems that when the power demand goes up, the charger can't deliver the amps needed. Then, I need to power off the computer for several minutes to make the charger work again.

Should I buy another charger? (I think it is a 230W one) or may be something related to a component inside the laptop? I do not have money to buy an expensive 230W charger just to see the same thing happens. Unfortunately, warranty has just expired 😞

Thank you!

Harlock
26 REPLIES 26

xeromist
I concur that sounds like a charger problem. Unfortunately you are correct that the best way to test it is to try another one. You might see if you can find a seller that has a return policy so you can send it back if something else is wrong.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Yes, seems it's the best option. Thank you

JustinThyme
Level 13
I doint know about switching to battery but some do draw from the battery under heavy loads.
Which G751 are we talking about? If its the JY then this behavior is perfectly normal as the brick cant keep up with the power demand of the CPU and GPU.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
I doint know about switching to battery but some do draw from the battery under heavy loads.
Which G751 are we talking about? If its the JY then this behavior is perfectly normal as the brick cant keep up with the power demand of the CPU and GPU.

But does it actually display the battery icon when that happens?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

JustinThyme wrote:

It is the JY, yes, with a 980GTX and 3 hard disks (1 ssd, 2 spin) so it is power hungry. The problem is the battery icon appear, orange led turn off, and begin to draw power from the battery until it is depleted. If I leave the game and return to windows (or stop a render of After Effects for example), brick does not begin to charge again, that is, orange charging led does not light. It is like the brick is dead. Also, if I touch the numeric keyboard, specially at 0 key, is very very hot. That behaviour did not show before sending the laptop to Asus for screen repair (it may be just a coincidence).

If the problem is the power brick, where can I find a reliable seller with high quality power adapters? Seems the one that came from ASUS is not up to the task (and I really do not game or render a lot, just once in a month really).

What really worries me is the power plug (it is very hot when the switch to battery happens) and the numeric keyboard hot point. It may show that is not really the power brick, and something inside is not working ok. The problem is I have to order to china or EEUU, I did not find any seller of a 230W in Europe.

xeromist
So the same power brick did not have the same problem before the screen replacement and presumably it stayed in your possession? That along with the hot spot do cast some doubt on the issue as purely a problem with the brick. However I'm not sure there's a better way to confirm that.

xeromist wrote:
So the same power brick did not have the same problem before the screen replacement and presumably it stayed in your possession? That along with the hot spot do cast some doubt on the issue as purely a problem with the brick. However I'm not sure there's a better way to confirm that.

I sent the power brick to asus alongside the laptop... never thought it could be another brick really. For now, I am avoiding 3D gaming (only play emus and FTL:Faster Than Light) and do basic things like browsing and office things. Strangely, RAR compression at ultra level does not trigger the effect (and it gets CPU to 100%).

The first time it happened I was playing Planetside 2, some days after I received the laptop.

xeromist
That's not surprising. The GPU would increase power usage significantly. And yeah it could be another brick. They aren't distinctive so it could have been mixed up.

Well, I suppose I have no choice but to order another brick then, it's the best option I have now.