cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G750jx overheating!

hawkst3r
Level 7
Hi,
I bought an Asus g750jx (16gb ram / gtx 770m / 256gb ssd - 750gb hdd / i7 cpu) and it was all good untill I tried my first game, after 5minutes of playing my screen goes crazy and freezes or game shuts down, I was curious so I installed some fan control soft (msi afterburner /speedfan) and it seems my fans are not showing anywhere, I tried funmark to test my gpu and it shows that my fan is at 0%, when my gpu reaches 75*celsius benchmark freezes and shuts down same as the games.
Should I RMA this laptop or is ther something I can do to turn on the fan?
additional info:
Windows 8x64
Nvidia driver 326.80 (tried with older drivers to)
Tried to find fan control in bios but the option does not exist
Games I tried: Divinity dragon commander / Arx Fatalis / Lost planet 3 (all works like a charm for a few mins untill gpu heats up)
Thank you.
28 REPLIES 28

UnfairAwesomene
Level 7
The fans are in the back of the laptop, and I dont know of any software yet that knows where the fan controls for the g750 laptop are at. At full load you should be able to tell if the fans go on or not.

UnfairAwesomeness wrote:
I dont know of any software yet that knows where the fan controls for the g750 laptop are at.

Yeah, thus far no monitoring utility seems to pick up the fans. Is the laptop on a stable, flat surface? Is it hot where you're using it?

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

hawkst3r
Level 7
I can feel a lot of heat cooming from the right fan (in the back, the right part) but from the left1, nothing, not heat or cold air >.<, is the gpu located in the left side?

hawkst3r wrote:
I can feel a lot of heat cooming from the right fan (in the back, the right part) but from the left1, nothing, not heat or cold air >.<, is the gpu located in the left side?

CPU is on the left side (facing the keyboard + screen) my guess is a thermal paste problem or the heatsink isn't properly on the gpu

hawkst3r
Level 7
it is on a stable flat surface, and I have around 20*celsius in my room, my iddle temps are good, 39*celsius gpu and 40 cpu, I monitored the temps, its strange from 39* goes up to 71* in 1min, and if I exit game goes back to 39-40 in few secs. In games that not stress the gpu/cpu, mostly old games theres no problem, but in newer games I start to have green points on screen then freeze.
p.s: I can't send it back to warranty since the post office is closed till monday, I have the weeknd off so I'm praying the problem is software not hardware.

hawkst3r
Level 7
the strangest thing happened. I was testing around, IF I am on battery only and I play any games, no heating problems, my temp stays at 45*celsius, if I plug in the adapter and not be on battery, in 1min reaches 70*celsius and game freezes, played 30mins on battery without any incidents, 2min on adapter with freezing.
Can you find the adapter in shops? I dont want to wait weeks if I send it back just for that.

hawkst3r
Level 7
the strangest thing happened. I was testing around, IF I am on battery only and I play any games, no heating problems, my temp stays at 45*celsius, if I plug in the adapter and not be on battery, in 1min reaches 70*celsius and game freezes, played 30mins on battery without any incidents, 2min on adapter with freezing.
Can you find the adapter in shops? I dont want to wait weeks if I send it back just for that.

villiansv
Level 11
75 degrees celsius is the expected temperature when gaming. Neither CPU nor GPU should throttle at these temps. Check your temps with HWMonitor, as some temperature reading apps give you the wrong temps. Not sure what could be causing freezes at such low temps, to be honest.

hawkst3r
Level 7
ya its oficially, its the cable from the adapter, when im plugged in I have problems, green dots then freezing, when I'm on battery only I dont have any problems. What could be the problem, not receiving enough power from the adapter?
Also tried funmark benchmark, plugged in = 3mins and freeze / battery = finished benchmark with no problems (well with lower frames but thats to be expected Im on battery)