cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G750JX / OSX Mavericks INSTALL GUIDE

Bozzified
Level 7
ASUS Statement: Please note this activity voids the Apple EULA you agree to on purchasing the software. ASUS does not endorse this activity in any way. However, beyond buying an ASUS laptop and software pre-installed, ASUS does not dictate what end-users do with their notebooks. Equally, ASUS does not make any specific component choices for OS', or provide warranty or support beyond those shipped with its notebooks. No ASUS rep will comment here. If legal objections are raised it is liable to be removed at any time and without notice.

Secondly: any piracy discussion whatsoever will result in a ban. End of.

NEW INSTRUCTIONS FOR 10.9.2:
I posted new instructions and all the stuff you need for 10.9.2 pretty much vanilla install here
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39406-ASUS-G750JX-OSX-Mavericks-INSTALL-GUIDE/page20

PREFACE:

This is not 100% final installation as I'm still working with audio and wireless radios and I'm trying to get the Chameleon bootloader to show up from the BIOS when I boot so I don't have to use USB stick to get boot loader.
THIS IS FIXED and working - SEE UPDATE

A great thing about installing on ASUS G750JX is that almost all things that were in previous installation guides here on TonyMac forums under Laptop Mountain lion support > G750JX are unnecessary. This is as close to vanilla installation as I could get.

Touchpad also works. You will however need to hook up ethernet cable to laptop so you have ethernet until I figure out how to get wireless radios working.

One thing to note is that you will need to have on one of the hard drives Windows 8 installed and on that installation of Windows 8 you will need to download some kind of NFS+ support for Windows 8 (I use bundle from Paragon with NFS+ and NTFS support so I can have NTFS support in OSX and NFS+ in Windows 😎 but I think since that's a paid product you can use anything else that will just read NFS+ partitions in Windows 8.

ASUS G750JX I have flashed a bios 208

So without much writing here's what I did.

BIOS SETTINGS
go to ADVANCED and disable VT-d
go to BOOT and disable Fast Boot
Underneath Fast Boot, enable Launch CSM
You should now see a new option: Launch PXE OpROM policy. Enable this option. This allows your computer to boot via Legacy BIOS not UEFI.

INSTALLATION:

Standard Unibeast preparation:

1. On a mac download the Mavericks installation from App Store
2. Follow the steps for Unibeast and create a USB stick - Select Laptop support in addition to OSX 10.9 Mavericks App Store install
3. Once you have created and finished Unibeast USB stick preparation make sure you download the patched 10.9 kernel from step 13 and replace the mach_kernel on the USB stick with the one you download (you might have to show all files in OSX you are working on to see mach_kernel file on the root of USB drive), put the USB stick into your ASUS 750JX and boot from it
4. On bootloader screen, pick Unibeast Installer (no flags needed) and hit enter
5. It will take a bit, so be patient and OSX installer will show up
6. Go to Disk Utility > Do the standard Create Partition on a second drive > Make it GUID Partition > MacOS Extended Journaled and call it Mavericks
7. Exit Disk Utility and continue with installation

8. Once the installation finishes you will get a message how OSX Mavericks can't set the startup disc. This is FINE! Don't worry.
9. Now, restart and boot back into Windows 8
10. Install in Windows 8 NFS+ support
11. Restart and boot again into Windows 8
12. Once you have booted into Windows 8 now you should see the Mavericks volume and all the files there
13. Download this patched kernel (UPDATE: this is now recommended patched kernel by RehabMan: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-laptop-support/114677-haswell-early-reboot-mavericks-locked-msrs... ) as it allows Sleep and UseKernelCache to work properly (OLD one - do not use this unless you have problems with RehabMan's http://www.osx86.net/files/file/3631-kernel-os-x-mavericks-109-amd/ )
14. Open Mavericks volume in Explorer and overwrite mach_kernel with the one you downloaded
15. Restart and boot from the USB stick
16. Pick OSX Mavericks HDD volume and hit enter
17. OSX Mavericks will welcome you with the setup screen - follow through on standard process (iCloud might give you a funky message but that's not a big deal)

18. Welcome to OSX Mavericks on ASUS G750JX! 🙂

UPDATE:

Once you install the Mavericks you want to run the latest Multibeast 6.0 (see TonyMac) before the restart.

What you will be installing is the following:

The idea here is to have Chameleon and everything else installed into S/L/E, modify the SMBIOS.plist and have local hdd Extra folder.

If you are going to use Clover as boot see install notes in the post later in this thread so you can take out USB stick booting completely and adjust some location of some kexts and how to use the config file I included in the files.

Thanks to PeanutButterSpice and slayer2333 from TonyMac forums for trying as well on this and giving me ideas on what to do to get this working without it I would have probably not been able to look at the right place to make this work.

UPDATE 01:

Got audio and wifi working fine now!

The trick was that ASUS G750JX is using Broadcom chip.. in order to to make it recognized in Mavericks you have to update the IDs in the IO80211Family kext.. You go in and go into Plugins and update the IDs inside AirPortBrcm4360.kext > info.plist to include the following:

pci14e4,43b1
pci14e4,4331
pci14e4,4353
pci14e4,432b

Adding these will enable your Wifi.

The audio is working with VoodooHDA 2.84.

The problem I'm having is with hardware acceleration on GTX770M.. the card it properly recognized and working just fine but when I play videos HTML5 or Flash it doesn't matter it crashes it.. I can watch videos just fine if I disable hardware acceleration in Flash but H.264 HTML5 videos will not work for some reason.

Suggestions are welcome!

CUDA installs fine though.

UPDATE 2:

And I finally solved the last issue with hardware acceleration. I changed the System Definition to Mac Pro 5.1 and now everything works great.

The only last thing that remains is to get BIOS to recognize the SSD with the OSX Mavericks installation so I can boot without the USB stick boot loader. But that's really a minor issue.

Amazing! This ASUS G750JX is now an OSX Mavericks BEAST!

UPDATE 3:

The loading without the USB stick has been resolved now. I am using Clover. I will write up the guide for this as I'm still fine tuning things.

UPDATE 4:

I have used RehabMan's patched kernel (here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-laptop-support/114677-haswell-early-reboot-mavericks-locked-msrs...) and indeed things are working MUCH better. UseKernelCache is working and I have increased my boot times now to desktop in about 10 secs instead of 30+. One side effect is that I don't see USB 3.0 recognized after installing GenericXHCI kext. Looking into this.

UPDATE 5:

Bluetooth 4.0 is now working as well. You have to enable the ASUS G750JX broadcom bluetooth IDs in BroadcomBluetoothTransport kext. We are fortunate because the Bluetooth in this laptop is BCM4352 so it's compatible fully with OSX Mavericks.

To enable go:
0. Find the IOBluetoothFamily.kext in S/L/E and copy it to desktop
1. Show Package Contents on it
2. Go into Plugins and show package on BroadcomBluetoothTransport
3. Open info.plist file and locate this entry:

Broadcom2045FamilyUSBBluetoothHCIController_P

CFBundleIdentifier
com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport
IOClass
BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport
IOProviderClass
IOUSBDevice
idProduct
idVendor

4. Right above this entry and after

IOKitPersonalities

(So in between those put the following)

Broadcom2046FamilyUSBBluetoothHCIController_3404

CFBundleIdentifier
com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport
IOClass
BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport
IOProviderClass
IOUSBDevice
LMPLoggingEnabled

idProduct
idVendor

5. This is it, SAVE and use Kext Wizard or similar to install and overwrite the existing IOBluetoothFamily.kext in S/L/E

6. Reboot and voila.. You have Bluetooth 4.0

NEW INSTRUCTIONS FOR 10.9.2:
I posted new instructions and all the stuff you need for 10.9.2 pretty much vanilla install here
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39406-ASUS-G750JX-OSX-Mavericks-INSTALL-GUIDE/page20
893 REPLIES 893

Bipbipboom wrote:
...I'm using an Asus G750JX-CV030H (with 3D screen and GTX 770M)

and that'll be your problem. you have the same laptop as me and i've went through many painfull hoops to try to get mine working.
thanks to help here and especailly on insanelymac i now have a fully working system

take some time to read these posts and try the efi string in this link:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293967-solved-asus-rog-laptops-with-kepler-cards-not-detectin...

let us know how you get on and if you are a wiz with DSDT edit please come back here and help me with mine 😉
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16

pcfr33k
Level 8
Great News. I have updated Clover.config and AppleHDA to remain Persistent after an OS X update. The Clover config contains script to binary patch AppleHDA on the fly the way it updates the Wireless Adapter for 5GZH and Handoff patches. The only thing that can change is the binary patch as it did this time for WIFI also updated for 10.10.3. But this can be updated easily now with a Clover Config update.

Still working on Thunderbolt Adapter for External Displays no answer yet, please don't ask more about this until I get some information.

I don't have time to really answer questions, try to do more searching or ask amongst your peers you will do just fine!!

You can thank EmlyDInesh for this great feature for the Audio. Dinesh makes the drivers for touchpad and FN keys and Bluetooth etc. You should visit that forum for great support and an EDP program which will be updated soon, http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/user/7370-emlydinesh. Please test make sure Audio Channels are working as they were before, like SubWoofer etc!!

Files uploaded same link below!!

pcfr33k wrote:
Great News. I have updated Clover.config and AppleHDA to remain Persistent after an OS X update. The Clover config contains script to binary patch AppleHDA on the fly the way it updates the Wireless Adapter for 5GZH and Handoff patches. The only thing that can change is the binary patch as it did this time for WIFI also updated for 10.10.3. But this can be updated easily now with a Clover Config update.

Still working on Thunderbolt Adapter for External Displays no answer yet, please don't ask more about this until I get some information.

I don't have time to really answer questions, try to do more searching or ask amongst your peers you will do just fine!!

You can thank EmlyDInesh for this great feature for the Audio. Dinesh makes the drivers for touchpad and FN keys and Bluetooth etc. You should visit that forum for great support and an EDP program which will be updated soon, http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/user/7370-emlydinesh. Please test make sure Audio Channels are working as they were before, like SubWoofer etc!!

Files uploaded same link below!!

pcfr33k you did an amazing job collecting that stuff alongside AAndrei.. I was away and then I switched laptops to Dell M3800 but I wasn't satisfied so I'm back on ASUS G750JX and it's awesome to see you kept up with it. Great job.

I'll look into if I have some time to take your stuff and make bash scripts and stuff to automate the process for folks as much as possible.

Can you please share your info for patching AppleHDA and other stuff along with AAndrei here, including DSDT patches for G750JX and everything you have.. I'll try to make DSDT patching automated by allowing people to grab their ACPI tables from Clover boot (F4) and then just run the script to get everything patched.

Also, any additional information for other models would be beneficial if you guys investigated so I can make options in the script to choose which G750 model a user has and simply select that one and the script would do everything.

I'll try to take piece of your guides and edit the main post for people to have more up to date info instead of reading through a thread with 80+ pages.

Bozzified wrote:
pcfr33k you did an amazing job collecting that stuff alongside AAndrei.. I was away and then I switched laptops to Dell M3800 but I wasn't satisfied so I'm back on ASUS G750JX and it's awesome to see you kept up with it. Great job.

I'll look into if I have some time to take your stuff and make bash scripts and stuff to automate the process for folks as much as possible.

Can you please share your info for patching AppleHDA and other stuff along with AAndrei here, including DSDT patches for G750JX and everything you have.. I'll try to make DSDT patching automated by allowing people to grab their ACPI tables from Clover boot (F4) and then just run the script to get everything patched.

Also, any additional information for other models would be beneficial if you guys investigated so I can make options in the script to choose which G750 model a user has and simply select that one and the script would do everything.

I'll try to take piece of your guides and edit the main post for people to have more up to date info instead of reading through a thread with 80+ pages.

I will do my best. The audio patch is basically from EmlyDinesh. I am working with him beta testing his new touchpad driver and FNkeys for a couple different Asus Laptop models. As far as getting you the information, I can get that once he relays that information to me. I already have a link to the DSDT patches but EmlyDInesh has made some changes since then using the ACPI tables, Device and PCI dumps from AIDA64 in windows. The DSDT may not be so simple as we may need him to create them for the different models for now. I will ask him but he will want the AIDA64 dump from instructions from the link below for customized DSDTs. He will need more than just the ACPI tables as the link will describe.

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1945-dsdtssdt-patch-request/

For the help he has been able to provide to me, I basically will return the favor by helping him update his EDP program which will support many different hardware mostly laptops. This will take time and most of my time. For now I would have the people with different models go register to this site and go to that link to get the dumps needed and we can go from there.

You can still create most of the automated bash scripts like creating a USB installer and installing files from the files I have provided in the dropbox link below.

Thanks

Edited:

By the way the Audio Patch is based off Areos's original Audio AppleHDA.kext, Layout 1 and Platform Zlib files in resources and AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver Info.plist in Plugins folder which have the Codec Verbs etc, So EmlyDinesh just put this information into the PatchAudio kext and loaded the AppleHDA binary patching into Clover. By doing this it gives us the Audio Persistence we need on every OS X update unless the Binary changes we do not need a bash script for this. If the binary patch needs updating like the Wifi 5GZ patch was needed for 10.10.3, I can update this until I get the information from EmlyDinesh on how this is done and share this information with everyone.

The rest of the stuff you need from me you will find in the links in my signature and they will lead you to everything you need to get. All of my stuff is based on those links.

Bipbipboom
Level 7
Great !!! Thank you so much, now I am typing from my 3D 120hz Asus screen with latest NVidia web driver, 331.01.01f02 and efi string. System is 10.9.2
Card fully recognised and all working except audio... can you tell me what driver are you using ?

gazzacbr
Level 10
@Bipbipboom: good to hear.
i really should have investigated patching appleHDA but VoodooHDA is working good enough for me.
i think i have 2.8.4 but it has been updated since then (looks like 2.8.8 now)
that will get you some sound and mic anyway.

if you do get a patched appleHDA report back here 😉
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16

sthomp001
Level 7
Finally got sleep working thanks to Emlydinesh. Just need to get HDMI audio working if possible - analog works fine through Voodoo. Anyone have a patch or kext for AppleHDA that will work with G750JX-TB71. I've had no luck getting HDMI audio working. Thanks.

Bipbipboom
Level 7
Ok, for me VoodooHDA doesn't work but I found a working AppleHDA kext, the only problem is that the Subwoofer doesn't work... any idea?
Here is the link: http://www.hackintoshosx.com/files/file/3933-alc282/

stratus
Level 7
For people with the G750JM, I've updated my files for 10.10.3. Been using this laptop with OS X exclusively for about 6 months and it has been rock solid. 🙂

Note: This may work for other G750 Optimus-enabled models, but you'll probably need to patch your own DSDT/SSDT files. I've included my .dsl files for reference.

Installation:
1.) Make sure you're using the latest G750JM BIOS (BIOS 207) - Download Here
2.) Configure your BIOS with the settings in the OP.
3.) Place the files in the appropriate Clover folders.
4.) After installation, use Kext Utility to install PatchAppleHDA.kext.

Changelog:
1.) Replaced the patched AppleHDA.kext with pcfr33k's PatchAppleHDA + Clover patches
2.) Replaced old Intel HD4600 patches with Rehabman's FakePCIID
3.) Replaced BTFirmwareUploader.kext with BrcmPatchRAM.kext. Seems to be much more reliable.
4.) Improved SSDT files - Made sure Nvidia card is always powered off.
5.) Fixed HDMI audio
6.) Fixed kernel panic when using two external displays... kind of. HDMI monitor + Mini Displayport->VGA works fine. HDMI + Mini Displayport -> DVI may cause a kernel panic. Not sure if it's my DVI displayport adapter or a framebuffer issue.
7.) Fixed Intel HD4600 power management for better battery life. Thanks to Pikeralpha for the info.

Github - Download

Bipbipboom
Level 7
One last thing, I would like to use the NO CLOVER method for the bootloader, used in the tutorial of the OS X 10.9.2 update.
So I split my 750Gb drive into 2 partitions including a 8GB and install Unibeast on it, then type all command lines in Terminal.
I did everything in order but I can't see in BIOS the partition with Chameleon on HDD and it's impossible to boot on this HDD.