cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G750JX / OSX Mavericks INSTALL GUIDE

Bozzified
Level 7
ASUS Statement: Please note this activity voids the Apple EULA you agree to on purchasing the software. ASUS does not endorse this activity in any way. However, beyond buying an ASUS laptop and software pre-installed, ASUS does not dictate what end-users do with their notebooks. Equally, ASUS does not make any specific component choices for OS', or provide warranty or support beyond those shipped with its notebooks. No ASUS rep will comment here. If legal objections are raised it is liable to be removed at any time and without notice.

Secondly: any piracy discussion whatsoever will result in a ban. End of.

NEW INSTRUCTIONS FOR 10.9.2:
I posted new instructions and all the stuff you need for 10.9.2 pretty much vanilla install here
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39406-ASUS-G750JX-OSX-Mavericks-INSTALL-GUIDE/page20

PREFACE:

This is not 100% final installation as I'm still working with audio and wireless radios and I'm trying to get the Chameleon bootloader to show up from the BIOS when I boot so I don't have to use USB stick to get boot loader.
THIS IS FIXED and working - SEE UPDATE

A great thing about installing on ASUS G750JX is that almost all things that were in previous installation guides here on TonyMac forums under Laptop Mountain lion support > G750JX are unnecessary. This is as close to vanilla installation as I could get.

Touchpad also works. You will however need to hook up ethernet cable to laptop so you have ethernet until I figure out how to get wireless radios working.

One thing to note is that you will need to have on one of the hard drives Windows 8 installed and on that installation of Windows 8 you will need to download some kind of NFS+ support for Windows 8 (I use bundle from Paragon with NFS+ and NTFS support so I can have NTFS support in OSX and NFS+ in Windows 😎 but I think since that's a paid product you can use anything else that will just read NFS+ partitions in Windows 8.

ASUS G750JX I have flashed a bios 208

So without much writing here's what I did.

BIOS SETTINGS
go to ADVANCED and disable VT-d
go to BOOT and disable Fast Boot
Underneath Fast Boot, enable Launch CSM
You should now see a new option: Launch PXE OpROM policy. Enable this option. This allows your computer to boot via Legacy BIOS not UEFI.

INSTALLATION:

Standard Unibeast preparation:

1. On a mac download the Mavericks installation from App Store
2. Follow the steps for Unibeast and create a USB stick - Select Laptop support in addition to OSX 10.9 Mavericks App Store install
3. Once you have created and finished Unibeast USB stick preparation make sure you download the patched 10.9 kernel from step 13 and replace the mach_kernel on the USB stick with the one you download (you might have to show all files in OSX you are working on to see mach_kernel file on the root of USB drive), put the USB stick into your ASUS 750JX and boot from it
4. On bootloader screen, pick Unibeast Installer (no flags needed) and hit enter
5. It will take a bit, so be patient and OSX installer will show up
6. Go to Disk Utility > Do the standard Create Partition on a second drive > Make it GUID Partition > MacOS Extended Journaled and call it Mavericks
7. Exit Disk Utility and continue with installation

8. Once the installation finishes you will get a message how OSX Mavericks can't set the startup disc. This is FINE! Don't worry.
9. Now, restart and boot back into Windows 8
10. Install in Windows 8 NFS+ support
11. Restart and boot again into Windows 8
12. Once you have booted into Windows 8 now you should see the Mavericks volume and all the files there
13. Download this patched kernel (UPDATE: this is now recommended patched kernel by RehabMan: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-laptop-support/114677-haswell-early-reboot-mavericks-locked-msrs... ) as it allows Sleep and UseKernelCache to work properly (OLD one - do not use this unless you have problems with RehabMan's http://www.osx86.net/files/file/3631-kernel-os-x-mavericks-109-amd/ )
14. Open Mavericks volume in Explorer and overwrite mach_kernel with the one you downloaded
15. Restart and boot from the USB stick
16. Pick OSX Mavericks HDD volume and hit enter
17. OSX Mavericks will welcome you with the setup screen - follow through on standard process (iCloud might give you a funky message but that's not a big deal)

18. Welcome to OSX Mavericks on ASUS G750JX! 🙂

UPDATE:

Once you install the Mavericks you want to run the latest Multibeast 6.0 (see TonyMac) before the restart.

What you will be installing is the following:

The idea here is to have Chameleon and everything else installed into S/L/E, modify the SMBIOS.plist and have local hdd Extra folder.

If you are going to use Clover as boot see install notes in the post later in this thread so you can take out USB stick booting completely and adjust some location of some kexts and how to use the config file I included in the files.

Thanks to PeanutButterSpice and slayer2333 from TonyMac forums for trying as well on this and giving me ideas on what to do to get this working without it I would have probably not been able to look at the right place to make this work.

UPDATE 01:

Got audio and wifi working fine now!

The trick was that ASUS G750JX is using Broadcom chip.. in order to to make it recognized in Mavericks you have to update the IDs in the IO80211Family kext.. You go in and go into Plugins and update the IDs inside AirPortBrcm4360.kext > info.plist to include the following:

pci14e4,43b1
pci14e4,4331
pci14e4,4353
pci14e4,432b

Adding these will enable your Wifi.

The audio is working with VoodooHDA 2.84.

The problem I'm having is with hardware acceleration on GTX770M.. the card it properly recognized and working just fine but when I play videos HTML5 or Flash it doesn't matter it crashes it.. I can watch videos just fine if I disable hardware acceleration in Flash but H.264 HTML5 videos will not work for some reason.

Suggestions are welcome!

CUDA installs fine though.

UPDATE 2:

And I finally solved the last issue with hardware acceleration. I changed the System Definition to Mac Pro 5.1 and now everything works great.

The only last thing that remains is to get BIOS to recognize the SSD with the OSX Mavericks installation so I can boot without the USB stick boot loader. But that's really a minor issue.

Amazing! This ASUS G750JX is now an OSX Mavericks BEAST!

UPDATE 3:

The loading without the USB stick has been resolved now. I am using Clover. I will write up the guide for this as I'm still fine tuning things.

UPDATE 4:

I have used RehabMan's patched kernel (here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-laptop-support/114677-haswell-early-reboot-mavericks-locked-msrs...) and indeed things are working MUCH better. UseKernelCache is working and I have increased my boot times now to desktop in about 10 secs instead of 30+. One side effect is that I don't see USB 3.0 recognized after installing GenericXHCI kext. Looking into this.

UPDATE 5:

Bluetooth 4.0 is now working as well. You have to enable the ASUS G750JX broadcom bluetooth IDs in BroadcomBluetoothTransport kext. We are fortunate because the Bluetooth in this laptop is BCM4352 so it's compatible fully with OSX Mavericks.

To enable go:
0. Find the IOBluetoothFamily.kext in S/L/E and copy it to desktop
1. Show Package Contents on it
2. Go into Plugins and show package on BroadcomBluetoothTransport
3. Open info.plist file and locate this entry:

Broadcom2045FamilyUSBBluetoothHCIController_P

CFBundleIdentifier
com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport
IOClass
BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport
IOProviderClass
IOUSBDevice
idProduct
idVendor

4. Right above this entry and after

IOKitPersonalities

(So in between those put the following)

Broadcom2046FamilyUSBBluetoothHCIController_3404

CFBundleIdentifier
com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport
IOClass
BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport
IOProviderClass
IOUSBDevice
LMPLoggingEnabled

idProduct
idVendor

5. This is it, SAVE and use Kext Wizard or similar to install and overwrite the existing IOBluetoothFamily.kext in S/L/E

6. Reboot and voila.. You have Bluetooth 4.0

NEW INSTRUCTIONS FOR 10.9.2:
I posted new instructions and all the stuff you need for 10.9.2 pretty much vanilla install here
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39406-ASUS-G750JX-OSX-Mavericks-INSTALL-GUIDE/page20
893 REPLIES 893

@cruzin_cruzing
" Yosemite 10.10 runs far better than 10.9 Mavericks..."
new thread maybe?????
no need for a full install report but some helpful pointers would be nice 😉
i have an installer but couldnt get it to boot 😞
i will have another try this weekend if i get some time.
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16

gazzacbr wrote:
@cruzin_cruzing
" Yosemite 10.10 runs far better than 10.9 Mavericks..."
new thread maybe?????
no need for a full install report but some helpful pointers would be nice 😉
i have an installer but couldnt get it to boot 😞
i will have another try this weekend if i get some time.

I used these instructions to create a USB: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298458-installation-guide-for-1010-dp1-usb/

I'm already on the latest Clover with a patched BIOS, so it was easy as installing over 10.9 Mavericks. It was a little ballsy, but it ended up working out in the end. I mounted the EFI partition, added the kext-dev-mode=1 flag as well as a 10.10 folder in CLOVER/kexts. After just install the necessary kexts like you would do in 10.9.

You may need either Clover or patched BIOS since theres no mach_kernel patch for Yosemite yet.

cruzin_cruzing wrote:
I used these instructions to create a USB: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298458-installation-guide-for-1010-dp1-usb/

I'm already on the latest Clover with a patched BIOS, so it was easy as installing over 10.9 Mavericks. It was a little ballsy, but it ended up working out in the end. I mounted the EFI partition, added the kext-dev-mode=1 flag as well as a 10.10 folder in CLOVER/kexts. After just install the necessary kexts like you would do in 10.9.

You may need either Clover or patched BIOS since theres no mach_kernel patch for Yosemite yet.

Nice! I have too much work now and I have machines working flawlessly with 10.9.4 both desktop and G750JX so I'm not going to screw around with it until final release but glad to hear it's working fine.

I think they improved the drivers in 10.10 as well and added bunch of support for CPUs.

I think we can chat about 10.10 here until the final release than I, or someone else will do a full from scratch install on it and write a detailed tutorial. Hopefully it will be simpler than ever.

cruzin_cruzing wrote:
...You may need either Clover or patched BIOS since theres no mach_kernel patch for Yosemite yet.

thanks for the info.
i saw write-ups for installing with chameleon and gave that a try but couldnt get it to boot at all.
maybe thats why 😞
i could run from clover but as i still dont have screen brightness working on maveicks yet i will give it a miss for now.
does anyone have a summary of exactly what is needed to get screen brightness working?
also, i am going to replace the atheros wifi card with the broadcom one.
Does it 'just work' using the bozzified modified kext from the first posts? 2.4 and also at 5K?

10.9.4 works ok on mine. only had to swap the kernel (again) boot to safe mode to install the latest nVidia web drivers.
Something is strange with those drivers. Even when I clone mavericks it defaults back to apple drivers?????
anyone know why that would be?
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16

lazzy
Level 7
Hello Bozzified
I have a new Asus g750 js
Intel 4600
nvidia gtx870m
256 ssd
1tb HDD
I installed 10.9.3 with clover on SSD but when i reboot with usb it doesn't work
Can you share me your config.plist, DSDT (EFI\CLOVER\ACPI\patched) and all the kext EFI\CLOVER\kexts\10.9 please
thanks

lazzy
Level 7
can you send me your DSDT please
Thanks

@Areosjc,

I had a couple questions on the DSDT patches. Were most of them from the RehabMan and Toleda githubs?

The questions are regarding specific patches that I did not recognize from either github and needed further explanation of their function.

I posted them on the G750JX thread on Tony's site.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-laptop-support/114657-osx-mavericks-asus-g750jx-installation-gui...

Did you ever find a fix for USB that stops working on wake after sleep on battery only?

Thanks

EDITED:

Can you do me a favor post your native (unpatched) DSDT. I wanted to use Diffmerge to see if there are differences maybe that is the extra script that I see in the patched DSDT that may not be in my Native DSDT. I posted my native DSDT a few post up from the link I provided above if you want to compare yours to mine?

Thanks

EDITED LAST TIME:

I went over the posts from here again and there was Mention of IOPlatformPlugin mod and GPUPM mod. Are these necessary any longer with DSDT and clover config for 10.9.4? How did you enable XCPM? I just enabled it in Clover config but without that option, I do not see the XCPM loaded in verbose boot. Correction it loads without -xcpm enabled in clover I was incorrect.

On page 25 post #246 you shared a x86Platformplugin resource plist file. Do we still need that file to replace the one already there? I am using imac14,2 definition and cpupm seems fine. Xcpm is loaded. Ioppf in boot.log. That plist file is for macbook pro?

Also when you get a chance can you share your kexts like HDA etc, DSDT-SSDT and Clover config files. It seems there are links scattered throughout this thread and no unified link to the most current files.

Thanks

skycer
Level 7
Can G550JK follow the given guide?
I just wanna have Fun..
Help each other and learn together...

Your Sincere,

Fans of

hey, can anyone help me with the booting?

tried clover n chameleon but couldnt boot directly to mac w/o the install usb. I have windows on an ssd, and hdd for mac, with storage there. still no luck 😞

I've got a few questions 🙂

I've installed 10.9.4 using the original guide, but with the patched BIOS and the earlier NV drivers. All installed OK, so I installed Clover and the web NV drivers. The config.plist from the original guide is long gone and after that it seems to become a muddle as to what Clover options you need, with what kexts and so on. I've got the system booting using a config.plist posted recently. It did say that you would need to change the EFI string but I've not had much luck there yet!

As it stands now I have working keyboard and touchpad, working Ethernet and working GTX770M. Wi-Fi is an AR9485 so scratch that off the list. Power management doesn't seem to work (detects charge/battery status, but not battery charge. Its also very slow to update.) and neither does AppleHDA.

Any advice or guides on where to go next would be appreciated 🙂