cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G750JX / OSX Mavericks INSTALL GUIDE

Bozzified
Level 7
ASUS Statement: Please note this activity voids the Apple EULA you agree to on purchasing the software. ASUS does not endorse this activity in any way. However, beyond buying an ASUS laptop and software pre-installed, ASUS does not dictate what end-users do with their notebooks. Equally, ASUS does not make any specific component choices for OS', or provide warranty or support beyond those shipped with its notebooks. No ASUS rep will comment here. If legal objections are raised it is liable to be removed at any time and without notice.

Secondly: any piracy discussion whatsoever will result in a ban. End of.

NEW INSTRUCTIONS FOR 10.9.2:
I posted new instructions and all the stuff you need for 10.9.2 pretty much vanilla install here
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39406-ASUS-G750JX-OSX-Mavericks-INSTALL-GUIDE/page20

PREFACE:

This is not 100% final installation as I'm still working with audio and wireless radios and I'm trying to get the Chameleon bootloader to show up from the BIOS when I boot so I don't have to use USB stick to get boot loader.
THIS IS FIXED and working - SEE UPDATE

A great thing about installing on ASUS G750JX is that almost all things that were in previous installation guides here on TonyMac forums under Laptop Mountain lion support > G750JX are unnecessary. This is as close to vanilla installation as I could get.

Touchpad also works. You will however need to hook up ethernet cable to laptop so you have ethernet until I figure out how to get wireless radios working.

One thing to note is that you will need to have on one of the hard drives Windows 8 installed and on that installation of Windows 8 you will need to download some kind of NFS+ support for Windows 8 (I use bundle from Paragon with NFS+ and NTFS support so I can have NTFS support in OSX and NFS+ in Windows 😎 but I think since that's a paid product you can use anything else that will just read NFS+ partitions in Windows 8.

ASUS G750JX I have flashed a bios 208

So without much writing here's what I did.

BIOS SETTINGS
go to ADVANCED and disable VT-d
go to BOOT and disable Fast Boot
Underneath Fast Boot, enable Launch CSM
You should now see a new option: Launch PXE OpROM policy. Enable this option. This allows your computer to boot via Legacy BIOS not UEFI.

INSTALLATION:

Standard Unibeast preparation:

1. On a mac download the Mavericks installation from App Store
2. Follow the steps for Unibeast and create a USB stick - Select Laptop support in addition to OSX 10.9 Mavericks App Store install
3. Once you have created and finished Unibeast USB stick preparation make sure you download the patched 10.9 kernel from step 13 and replace the mach_kernel on the USB stick with the one you download (you might have to show all files in OSX you are working on to see mach_kernel file on the root of USB drive), put the USB stick into your ASUS 750JX and boot from it
4. On bootloader screen, pick Unibeast Installer (no flags needed) and hit enter
5. It will take a bit, so be patient and OSX installer will show up
6. Go to Disk Utility > Do the standard Create Partition on a second drive > Make it GUID Partition > MacOS Extended Journaled and call it Mavericks
7. Exit Disk Utility and continue with installation

8. Once the installation finishes you will get a message how OSX Mavericks can't set the startup disc. This is FINE! Don't worry.
9. Now, restart and boot back into Windows 8
10. Install in Windows 8 NFS+ support
11. Restart and boot again into Windows 8
12. Once you have booted into Windows 8 now you should see the Mavericks volume and all the files there
13. Download this patched kernel (UPDATE: this is now recommended patched kernel by RehabMan: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-laptop-support/114677-haswell-early-reboot-mavericks-locked-msrs... ) as it allows Sleep and UseKernelCache to work properly (OLD one - do not use this unless you have problems with RehabMan's http://www.osx86.net/files/file/3631-kernel-os-x-mavericks-109-amd/ )
14. Open Mavericks volume in Explorer and overwrite mach_kernel with the one you downloaded
15. Restart and boot from the USB stick
16. Pick OSX Mavericks HDD volume and hit enter
17. OSX Mavericks will welcome you with the setup screen - follow through on standard process (iCloud might give you a funky message but that's not a big deal)

18. Welcome to OSX Mavericks on ASUS G750JX! 🙂

UPDATE:

Once you install the Mavericks you want to run the latest Multibeast 6.0 (see TonyMac) before the restart.

What you will be installing is the following:

The idea here is to have Chameleon and everything else installed into S/L/E, modify the SMBIOS.plist and have local hdd Extra folder.

If you are going to use Clover as boot see install notes in the post later in this thread so you can take out USB stick booting completely and adjust some location of some kexts and how to use the config file I included in the files.

Thanks to PeanutButterSpice and slayer2333 from TonyMac forums for trying as well on this and giving me ideas on what to do to get this working without it I would have probably not been able to look at the right place to make this work.

UPDATE 01:

Got audio and wifi working fine now!

The trick was that ASUS G750JX is using Broadcom chip.. in order to to make it recognized in Mavericks you have to update the IDs in the IO80211Family kext.. You go in and go into Plugins and update the IDs inside AirPortBrcm4360.kext > info.plist to include the following:

pci14e4,43b1
pci14e4,4331
pci14e4,4353
pci14e4,432b

Adding these will enable your Wifi.

The audio is working with VoodooHDA 2.84.

The problem I'm having is with hardware acceleration on GTX770M.. the card it properly recognized and working just fine but when I play videos HTML5 or Flash it doesn't matter it crashes it.. I can watch videos just fine if I disable hardware acceleration in Flash but H.264 HTML5 videos will not work for some reason.

Suggestions are welcome!

CUDA installs fine though.

UPDATE 2:

And I finally solved the last issue with hardware acceleration. I changed the System Definition to Mac Pro 5.1 and now everything works great.

The only last thing that remains is to get BIOS to recognize the SSD with the OSX Mavericks installation so I can boot without the USB stick boot loader. But that's really a minor issue.

Amazing! This ASUS G750JX is now an OSX Mavericks BEAST!

UPDATE 3:

The loading without the USB stick has been resolved now. I am using Clover. I will write up the guide for this as I'm still fine tuning things.

UPDATE 4:

I have used RehabMan's patched kernel (here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-laptop-support/114677-haswell-early-reboot-mavericks-locked-msrs...) and indeed things are working MUCH better. UseKernelCache is working and I have increased my boot times now to desktop in about 10 secs instead of 30+. One side effect is that I don't see USB 3.0 recognized after installing GenericXHCI kext. Looking into this.

UPDATE 5:

Bluetooth 4.0 is now working as well. You have to enable the ASUS G750JX broadcom bluetooth IDs in BroadcomBluetoothTransport kext. We are fortunate because the Bluetooth in this laptop is BCM4352 so it's compatible fully with OSX Mavericks.

To enable go:
0. Find the IOBluetoothFamily.kext in S/L/E and copy it to desktop
1. Show Package Contents on it
2. Go into Plugins and show package on BroadcomBluetoothTransport
3. Open info.plist file and locate this entry:

Broadcom2045FamilyUSBBluetoothHCIController_P

CFBundleIdentifier
com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport
IOClass
BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport
IOProviderClass
IOUSBDevice
idProduct
idVendor

4. Right above this entry and after

IOKitPersonalities

(So in between those put the following)

Broadcom2046FamilyUSBBluetoothHCIController_3404

CFBundleIdentifier
com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport
IOClass
BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport
IOProviderClass
IOUSBDevice
LMPLoggingEnabled

idProduct
idVendor

5. This is it, SAVE and use Kext Wizard or similar to install and overwrite the existing IOBluetoothFamily.kext in S/L/E

6. Reboot and voila.. You have Bluetooth 4.0

NEW INSTRUCTIONS FOR 10.9.2:
I posted new instructions and all the stuff you need for 10.9.2 pretty much vanilla install here
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39406-ASUS-G750JX-OSX-Mavericks-INSTALL-GUIDE/page20
893 REPLIES 893

Kantm
Level 7
Hi pcfr33k,

I'm willing to try a new installation, this feel fun since there r so many thing i dont know and have to try again a lot, but the achievement feeling is great. Still, this mavericks of mine is almost finish, power management is solved, only sound is being a bitch now...

I have no experience and knowledge about chameleon and clover, but as far as i can read, chameleon is simpler and easier, clover could b complicated and need a lot of tuning. Yet finding a tutorial for chameleon is a bit hard for me... may b i'm retard... would be great if u can release that clover guide soon.

p/s: why am i the only one with that AsusVip badge? ... ...

-----------

After 2 hours of reading, i realize that pple install bootloader like chimera, chameleon, and BAM, they can boot their mac os right away. I also installed bootloader, but ... nothing work, still have to use usb to load my mavericks... boot option doesn't show anything except the windows ssd, cd, usb...

how did it happen? my mavericks was installed on a GPT map, Mac journal partition, windows is on a MBR map, ntfs partition ... where did i do wrong? The usb chameleon work, i even copy the bootloader (3 files) to root, but still ...

Kantm
Level 7
the chameleon is supposed to be installed on the OS X hd right? or windows or system reserved? i got the nvda sorted out, no sweat now, ima look for a tiny usb wifi instead i think, easier, i watched the disassembling on youtube... like 50++ screws, .... screw it...

Radunnn
Level 7
i was not knowing that i can install an ios in a windows device, i was thinking that there were some hardware bypasses

pcfr33k
Level 8
@cruzin and Areos,

Did you have to rollback to 10.9.1 nvda kexts for the 10.9.4 installer? I got the black screen/reboot issue again.

Did you try Yosemite install yet? If so are you able to install with native apple nvda or rollback to 10.9.1 for the installer?

Thanks

Areosjc
Level 8
The new Apple Nvidia Drivers in 10.9.4 causes the black screen/reboot issue for me too, so I use Web drivers. For Yosemite Apple Nvidia drivers works just fine so you don´t need to add anything there, I tested DP1 and DP3 I hope this keep working until GM.

Good luck

Areosjc wrote:
The new Apple Nvidia Drivers in 10.9.4 causes the black screen/reboot issue for me too, so I use Web drivers. For Yosemite Apple Nvidia drivers works just fine so you don´t need to add anything there, I tested DP1 and DP3 I hope this keep working until GM.

Good luck

It looks like maybe this issue is not targeted at our device alone but possibly all non nVidia apple devices are banned in 10.9.3 and 10.9.4. Maybe we can fix with System Board ID in NVDC? Working on this tonight. I may not be reading this correctly but if its true we should be able to fix this? See link below.

The other problem is if we modify the kext there might be an apple signing issue no? I have to see how difficult it will be to sign a kext/driver.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/288582-new-nvidia-retail-driver-install-solution/?p=2031995

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/288582-new-nvidia-retail-driver-install-solution/?p=2032078

EDITED:

Does not seem to work.

SO I tried installing the webdrivers form nvidia, the latest ones for 10.9.4 but I get
Panic Screen. Is there anything I should do after installing the drivers?

For reference I used this version from nvidia WebDriver-334.01.02f02. It installs fine but when I reboot I get kernel cpu panic.

I installed Mavericks again from the USB and patched the mach_kernel then rebooted. I got a message from the driver that it is incompatible with my version of OS X and that it reverted to the original driver provided by default, so no luck there but still testing.

Samirosman
Level 7
Hi I'm new to this Hackintosh thing but not to OSX. I got a ROG G750JH-DB71
and would like to attempt a fresh install as in the guide but I could only
obtain the 10.9.4 from the app store.

Are there any special preparations I need to take into account to get everything up and running?

I was able to make a unibeast and install Mavericks as per the instructions, I also replaced the
kernel with the one suggested and I can boot into my installation other than that it is pretty
much a vanilla install.

I would like to know if someone has a similar setup and can help me with configuring the Kexts for
WIFI, sound and the GTX 780m on the ROG G750JH-DB71

Thanks in advance! 😃

Samirosman
Level 7
Managed to get the video card running using this package https://www.dropbox.com/s/ldod24n54xrcw58/NVDA4ALL%20v2.3.pkg
It works well so far.

cruzin_cruzing
Level 7
Yosemite 10.10 runs far better than 10.9 Mavericks. Everything feels smoother and more polished. That maybe in part due to the default Yosemite graphics drivers being two versions ahead of the current web version for Mavericks, and the rest due to the tone-downed animations. Also, the new Apple Handoff feature works due to the G750JW Bluetooth module supporting Bluetooth Low Energy, which is great.