cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G55 Post Windows 8.1 Software Issues.

Vicerox
Level 7
Greetings,
I recently restored my ASUS G55VW machine to the factory default, Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

I purchased my machine during the Windows 8 Promo period. Hence, I had a Windows 8 Pro Key.

I have successfully upgraded the OS to Windows 8 and now Windows 8.1.

While everything is working fabulously, I've encountered issues with the ASUS Software:
http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/G55VW/HelpDesk_Download/

What Installed Succesfully:
- ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities
(All the short cuts work, except Touchpad Disable)

What did not Install:
(I receive the error 'This software can only be installed on an ASUS Notebook')
- Instant On
- Power4Gear Hybrid Utility

You do not have this touch pad (The touchpad is working and it's ElanTech)
-Elantech Touchpad driver

What I haven't tried Installing:
-Intel INF Update Driver (Windows 😎
-Realtek Audio Driver (Windows 😎
-BIOS Flash
-BIOS Updates

Guidance would be highly appreciated.
19 REPLIES 19

Vicerox
Level 7
Where can I download this?

Asus Support Downloads
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Vicerox
Level 7
I've tried this. Nothing seems to be working. My only bet, now is that there is something wrong with the Touch pad cord.

Well I had to RMA my notebook over track pad issues, and they did change out the cables, and I think the track pad and MB. That was months ago and no more problems for me.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

rewben
Level 13
hi @Vicerox, i have a g55vw, too. i have used w8.1 pro for quite some time (fresh install; now with all the latest patches) all fn keys are working fine.

first of all, try to uninstall all the related drivers (particularly elantech, and atk package). reboot the laptop. this time try install the intel chipset driver, and usually followed by the rst driver. (usually the intel drivers should be installed first, before your windows upgrades, if i recalled correctly). reboot the laptop. then, install the elantech driver, followed by atk package.

for atk package driver, you can obtain the latest atk package driver by using the search at asus support page with keyword 'ATK_package' (i think it's one of the auto completed keywords from that page). the version of atk package driver on my g55vw is 1.0.0031. i have yet to have problems with it.

edit: just found out the latest being 1.0.0033. just uninstalled the old one, rebooted and updated to the new one. it works fine.

unless you messed with the laptop internals before, the cables connected to the touchpad should be fine (because they are further secured by a black tape in my laptop).

Hi, Unfortunately. I can't seem to install the elan tech driver. I keep receiving the message this touch pad is not compatible with this driver. I can install and uninstall the ATK Package, all the keys work. Except the Touch Pad. The short cut doesn't do anything either.

Your very last point about the touch pad cable not connected to the touch pad is what has me scratching my head.

rewben wrote:
hi @Vicerox, i have a g55vw, too. i have used w8.1 pro for quite some time (fresh install; now with all the latest patches) all fn keys are working fine.

first of all, try to uninstall all the related drivers (particularly elantech, and atk package). reboot the laptop. this time try install the intel chipset driver, and usually followed by the rst driver. (usually the intel drivers should be installed first, before your windows upgrades, if i recalled correctly). reboot the laptop. then, install the elantech driver, followed by atk package.

for atk package driver, you can obtain the latest atk package driver by using the search at asus support page with keyword 'ATK_package' (i think it's one of the auto completed keywords from that page). the version of atk package driver on my g55vw is 1.0.0031. i have yet to have problems with it.

edit: just found out the latest being 1.0.0033. just uninstalled the old one, rebooted and updated to the new one. it works fine.

unless you messed with the laptop internals before, the cables connected to the touchpad should be fine (because they are further secured by a black tape in my laptop).

Well I can't find ATK_Package 1.0.0033. The link below only has upto 1.0.0023
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ATK_package&hashedid=n%2fa
rewben wrote:

Okay I found the latest ATK Package. I did as you said, uninstalled the previous drivers and installed Elan Tech first following by the ATK Package. All Short Cuts work, except the Touch pad short cut, which simply shows the busy status for second and then goes back to normal.

Also, There is no ElanTech Tab in my Control Panel --> Mouse36389

Here is the Elan Tab and Bios Version:
Vicerox wrote:
Okay I found the latest ATK Package. I did as you said, uninstalled the previous drivers and installed Elan Tech first following by the ATK Package. All Short Cuts work, except the Touch pad short cut, which simply shows the busy status for second and then goes back to normal.

Also, There is no ElanTech Tab in my Control Panel --> Mouse36389

rewben
Level 13
the apparent problem is your elantech driver.

i saw some inconsistencies in your images (there were 2 versions of elantech drivers. so i assumed you have tried both and they didn't work) now please try follow the steps below.

1. download the elantech driver from g750jz (http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JZ/HelpDesk_Download/) the driver version is 11.5.12.1. this is the version that i am using in my g55.

2. if you still have any elantech driver installed, uninstall it. reboot.

3. install the driver 11.5.12.1.

it should work now.

p.s. forget about the part i made you scratch your head.