cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G55 Post Windows 8.1 Software Issues.

Vicerox
Level 7
Greetings,
I recently restored my ASUS G55VW machine to the factory default, Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

I purchased my machine during the Windows 8 Promo period. Hence, I had a Windows 8 Pro Key.

I have successfully upgraded the OS to Windows 8 and now Windows 8.1.

While everything is working fabulously, I've encountered issues with the ASUS Software:
http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/G55VW/HelpDesk_Download/

What Installed Succesfully:
- ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities
(All the short cuts work, except Touchpad Disable)

What did not Install:
(I receive the error 'This software can only be installed on an ASUS Notebook')
- Instant On
- Power4Gear Hybrid Utility

You do not have this touch pad (The touchpad is working and it's ElanTech)
-Elantech Touchpad driver

What I haven't tried Installing:
-Intel INF Update Driver (Windows 😎
-Realtek Audio Driver (Windows 😎
-BIOS Flash
-BIOS Updates

Guidance would be highly appreciated.
19 REPLIES 19

Djask
Level 7
First of all, the two programs (Instant On, and Power4Gear are Asus only programs. Ensure that you have the correct ATK package for your computer. If the touchpad is working, i wouldn't worry about the drivers for it.
Asus G46VW
i7 3630QM | 750GB Hard Drive | 1080p Full HD Display | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | GTX 660m | Windows 7 Ultimate

I'm installing these on my ASUS G55VW-RS71.

I've installed the following ATK Package:
Version V1.0.0023

Description ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities
If you want to upgrade your OS from Win 7 to Win 8,to prevent software compatibility issue, please uninstall the older version driver before install the newer version driver
File Size 11,74 MBytes update

The utilities that worked on Windows 7 don't work on Windows 8.1...

Djask wrote:
First of all, the two programs (Instant On, and Power4Gear are Asus only programs. Ensure that you have the correct ATK package for your computer. If the touchpad is working, i wouldn't worry about the drivers for it.

Clintlgm
Level 14
Asus Support Download Download the offered Win 8.1 Drivers
change to Win 8 for the rest of your drivers
I would not worry about a BIOS update unless there is something particular that you think you need. If you do need to update your BIOS you should use the EZ Flash from the BIOS itself. Win flash can be hazardous to your NB
In order to install the latest Chipset divers you will need to run the exe file from a elevated command prompt using switches overall and override. Read the read me file with in the extract chipset driver folder.
Read this thread I think all the information you need has been collected here.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Okay, so you're saying that I should update the chipset driver only?

Clintlgm wrote:
Asus Support Download Download the offered Win 8.1 Drivers
change to Win 8 for the rest of your drivers
I would not worry about a BIOS update unless there is something particular that you think you need. If you do need to update your BIOS you should use the EZ Flash from the BIOS itself. Win flash can be hazardous to your NB
In order to install the latest Chipset divers you will need to run the exe file from a elevated command prompt using switches overall and override. Read the read me file with in the extract chipset driver folder.
Read this thread I think all the information you need has been collected here.

No I saying the answers to your questions are already in Rewben upgrade Guides and notes Sticky Thread that I linked for you
1. download and install the drivers listed in the win 8.1 section
2. download and install the drivers listed in the Win 8 section
You need at least the Chipset, IRST, IME, WiFi, LAN, Audio, Video, ATK Package. You should have downloaded all these before upgrading or clean installing. Preparation and understanding what you are doing will save you a lot of headache's and frustration.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Okay. When I restored my Laptop to the factory default windows 7 Home Premium x64. The Touch Pad & Buttons were still not working.

The upgraded to Windows 8. Although they were not working on the Setup screen, I accidently rubbed my palm against the touch pad to find that it was working. I upgraded to Windows 8.1 and it was still working.

After about a month. Randomly, the Touch pad and Buttons have stopped working again.

The ATK Package has been installed and repaired, all the short cuts work perfectly except the Touch pad (Enable/Disable) FN KEY+F9, does not do anything.

This is the weirdest thing I've ever experienced. Anyone having similar problems? Is there a way to override the ATK commands manually?

On mine in win 7 and win 8.1 the track pad disconnects when I plug in a mouse, there is a setting for that somewhere mine automatically defaulted to this setting. I think if you install the trackpad software in the set up, there should be a setting to disable when a mouse is present something like that.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Hi this seems rather strange, but it makes sense. However, this was not an issue I had when I first purchased the machine.

I could easily use both the touch pad and my mouse. I'd disable the Touch pad using the FN Key + F9 Key Shortcut.

Unless a certain windows update or ASUS bios update causes this.

It would be great if we can explore this observation. Where exactly did you configure this during the Setup?

I'm going to try and uninstall my Mouse drivers. I have a Logitech G700.

Clintlgm wrote:
On mine in win 7 and win 8.1 the track pad disconnects when I plug in a mouse, there is a setting for that somewhere mine automatically defaulted to this setting. I think if you install the trackpad software in the set up, there should be a setting to disable when a mouse is present something like that.

This is in the Synaptics track pad software, you maybe experiencing a hard ware issue if this doesn't fix you?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro