cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G55 or G75 for College Student? HELP!

themailman05
Level 7
Hi folks, this is my first time on this forum.

I'm a high school senior about to graduate and head off to college to study engineering at a pretty big school.

I've been building and repairing gaming desktops for 3 years now, but I've yet to have any experience with gaming laptops. I currently am using a Lenovo X61 ultraportable that I Frankensteined together on the cheap, but it just will not cut it for school.

I am looking into buying a powerful desktop replacement machine that will be fairly portable for the next few years. The machine that really caught my eye is the Asus G55.

So I guess my question is this-
Asus G53/G55 owners, how portable is your machine? Is it a little ridiculous to carry around everywhere? I love the thermal design of the G55, and I am drooling over the internals. Is the battery life marginally acceptable? I would just like more than 3 hours under light load...

I have seen the G75, and it just seems WAY too large for what I want.
Money is not really a problem, as I've saved up quite a bit in order to make a purchase SOON!

EDIT: That new N56 series looks pretty incredible. Any experience with these as well?
22 REPLIES 22

chrsplmr
Level 18
The G75 would be harsh to carry all day .. with books .. and a cell phone..lol..
Thats why they make the G55 ...
If you are looking for the best of all three worlds .. then there is no better choice .. in my opinion.

Of course if you have the coins lets think about it a second..
If you have a screen..as in a lcd tv ect ... you could build a ROG Gene ..
the z77 is impressive .. that will handle anything you throw at it .. and
pick up a Transformer or ZenBook for Class ....

All out Mobile .. get some body toning in -- Unstoppable power .. G75
Portable Power -- any ROG GENE ..
..........and then Zen.
N56-- good eye ... yes very sweet .... for a Non-ROG.

Options abound .. your future is bright .. Best of Luck @ School..
Welcome to ROG.c.

If you are going to go the route that @MinhMMK and @chrisplmr suggested, I would advise getting the G75. It tends to be a little cheaper, and if you are never going to move it around, the increase in weight makes zero difference. The G75 also has the more powerful GPU, if that is of any concern to you. I would counsel against a desktop because of moving it back home (if you go away to college). The G75 is definitely transportable, though I would not count it portable.

I forgot to make this next point in my previous post: Whatever you get as your main machine, make certain that it has a 1080p screen. I can't tell you how many times it has made a huge difference in writing papers, doing CAD, or programming. Some of my classmates have little Macbook Pros, and they have to constantly scroll to see everything they are doing on their computers. I have to scroll about four times less often, because I have 35% more vertical pixels.

Your second computer should be a U36JC, or else a Toshiba Portege. Those computers are the same price as a Macbook air (and sometimes less), get better battery life (at least the Portege does), and have full-voltage processors. The use of a real 🙂 CPU will make it run rings around the ultrabooks/Airs when doing anything intensive. Sometimes, you will have to do intensive tasks away from your main computer, so having a sidekick that has some grunt is definitely worth it. The Portege is about 3 pounds, which is plenty light for moving around.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

chrsplmr
Level 18
Do you know that Asus has programs through CampusLife ... wearing Asus gear
around campus ... well check it out ... there is a ton of benfits ... gear for one.
http://campuslife.asus.com/index/
you will have to look around .. i couldnt find the link inside there right off ..
maybe google for it ... some where you sign up to participate ... for Stuff !!!
Id wear a beany with a ROG flag on a uniCycle for free stuff .... hahahhahaa ..c.

Even I'm looking to buy a ROG laptop for my College which will start in July. Though the best ROG laptop that is available in my country is G74SX. Still its a pretty solid machine. So I may buy it at the end of this month.

Unless you are doing like @themailman05 is doing, the G74SX is WAY too big to carry around. The G53SX is pushing the limits of portability, to be honest. If the G53SW/SX is available in your country (which is?), I would highly recommend getting one of those instead. The performance difference between the two is nil, but the SX has 45 min/1 hr more battery life. YMMV.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!

Thanks for suggestion mate but G74sx is the only ROG laptop available here (in India). Weight is not a problem for me as I'm in good shape and workout daily 😛 Also there wont be a lot of textbooks involved as its a Business school and most of the work would be done on the laptop itself.
Moreover I'm am movie buff so a full HD screen with 3D capability is perfect for me.:o

Yea, I don't have weight limitations, just don't want a computer the size of a small desktop 🙂

The battery life on the G74 is pretty poor, so don't expect long runtimes.

chrsplmr
Level 18
" The ONLY G available in India." ??? That's Barbaric. Let's get these good folks ROGness.
G55 ... G75 ... >>> Welcome to ROG.c.

Peregrine
Level 9
I got the G53SW-A1. It came with a backpack that is PHENOMENAL!!! Can't recommend this deal enough if you can find. Also came with a mouse.
Bought mine through B&H Photo. The pack is perfect because this is some heavy gear. LOL Having a backpack makes it much easier then your traditional "Laptop bag". Sling it over a shoulder and off you go. I take mine every where... and I'm a grown ass man. 😉
Asus Z170X + Asus GeFroce GTX Turbo 1070 +... all kinds of Asus goodies. #Fanboi

Peregrine
Level 9
Checked B&H and they have a deal with a G75 + backpack + Gaming mouse.
Sorry I don't have a link. Had to close out real quick.
(Boss coming lol,)
Asus Z170X + Asus GeFroce GTX Turbo 1070 +... all kinds of Asus goodies. #Fanboi