cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G46vw Upgraded with I7 3820qm - working good so far

JwPwns
Level 10
Good news guys 😄 I've installed my I7 3820qm today in my G46 and it's working at stable temps of 36c-46c along with some awesome benchmark but I don't think the CPU is on it's full potential since i saw benchmarks on I7 3820qm scoring somewhat higher than mine 1737417375
Asus G46 vw
3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3820QM processor
16GB-DDR Corsair Vengence 1600
128GB Samsung 830 Msata SSD + 750 GB HDD
GTX 660m + Windows 7 ultimate db Windows 8 pro

30 REPLIES 30

JwPwns wrote:
no, the cpu is almost never soldered in laptops... only the GPU is, but u can still seperate the gpu if you want

and i'm awared of that benchmark tweaks but what i don't get is they are running i7 3610 with gtx 660m and that has a 50% points over the 3820qm i have.. so i thought the i7 3610 might be a better comobo with the gpu ? but then you guys are right those people probably tweaked so many things to achieve that score, i will look into overcloaking the gtx660 (if thats possible)

Check for thermal throttling. However, it appears that is not doing so, based upon your later posts. The competitive benchers' scores are like checking the performance of your car against the performance of a similar car owned by a professional car racer.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Zygomorphic wrote:
Check for thermal throttling. However, it appears that is not doing so, based upon your later posts. The competitive benchers' scores are like checking the performance of your car against the performance of a similar car owned by a professional car racer.

but i'm a future professional car racer that's new to the race 😛 anyways i gona fine tune this baby once i get my thermal compound on, because right now those temps sort of scares me while i'm used to 30c on my desktop
Asus G46 vw

HulkSmash
Level 8
What's the max Ghz you're getting from it?

JwPwns
Level 10
thanks man 🙂 i was worried about the temps, i'm too used to the temp numbers for desktops because after gaming few hours on my desktop its still under 40 and staying at the 30s so when i saw after benchmark this thing hit 80 just for that 10 minute.. i was freaking out. And before i was using another temp program that told me my cpu temps are stable at 40s while i used it for few hours and it was still 40s so i guess it wasn't that fully loaded lol
Asus G46 vw

JwPwns wrote:
thanks man 🙂 i was worried about the temps, i'm too used to the temp numbers for desktops because after gaming few hours on my desktop its still under 40 and staying at the 30s so when i saw after benchmark this thing hit 80 just for that 10 minute.. i was freaking out. And before i was using another temp program that told me my cpu temps are stable at 40s while i used it for few hours and it was still 40s so i guess it wasn't that fully loaded lol

Desktops usually have better cooling, better even than the ROG notebooks, which are the best-cooled notebooks made today. Getting 80s for your temps on a hard-core gaming session isn't out of line. Since the fans are staying quiet, that is not only better for the gaming experience, but also it indicates that the system is not overheating. If the fans are running like crazy, it indicates that the system is having trouble staying within its thermal envelope.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

JwPwns
Level 10
I received my Mx4 in the mail. havn't got the time to put it on yet, temps are still the same but i want to see how effection the Mx4 compound is so i decide to test it on my desktop first before opening this baby G46 again -__- (to see if it's worth the time) anyways I just found out one of my Radeon HS 6770 has higher temp than the other.. is this normal?
and you can see the temps on my desktop.. it's stable as hell that was why when i saw the number 60 - 80.. it was a big no-no
Asus G46 vw

JwPwns
Level 10
well, I just used MX4 for my cpu and GPU here's the updated temps 😃 running pretty cool. There's this person saying that this cpu will burn holes to the desk and here's the response to his "opinions" 18167
Asus G46 vw

I have a 3840qm in my g46 and its idling at over 60 C in a 20 something C room. That's definitely not normal is it? I've emailed hidevolution tech support but wanted to get an opinion here.

shakado wrote:
I have a 3840qm in my g46 and its idling at over 60 C in a 20 something C room. That's definitely not normal is it? I've emailed hidevolution tech support but wanted to get an opinion here.

what program are you monitoring the temps with? if you use Hwininfo can you post a picture of them and try to run the temp watch after you open the game but before actually playing, that way you can monitor the gpu too
Asus G46 vw

I found out I had a process resulting from malware that was hogging my cpu so the temps dropped a bit. Still think its on the high end though, especially compared to the temps you had.