cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arrival of G752VY - Questions....

Signal2Noise
Level 9
I received my new G752VY yesterday. Other than the horrid keyboard font it's a pretty nice unit with 32GB ram and 256GB SSD. I'm still getting it all set up. A couple of Q's about it...

-For wifi it has an Intel AC 8260. Is this a good card? If not, is it easy to replace? Where is it located? I remember on my G74SX it was a bit difficult to access with big fingers. I may upgrade my router soon but for now I still use an ASUS RT-N66U.

- Those two rubber plugs cheaply tethered to the back fan exhaust grill....leave on or take off? Not sure of the purpose....?

- nVidia CP indicates Gsync is active. Is there an actual way to tell if this is indeed true?

-I've uninstalled McAffee (using Norton) and ASUS Gift apps. Anything else I should be removing?

Apologies for seemingly noob questions, I've been out of the laptop tech loop for a number of years. 😞
G74SX-DH71 | + 256GB Crucial M4 SSD , 16GB DDR3 SDRAM, Intel Centrino 6230 WiFi, Win 8 Pro
Peripherals: Steelseries Ikari laser mouse, Razer Ferox speakers, Audioengine D1 dac, Shure SRH840 headphones
12 REPLIES 12

leslie_jensen wrote:
.... Why are you Getting the g752vy now if the new one g752vs is comming oct/sep with 1070/1080 ?...

Well, afaik only the GTX1070 model has been "confirmed". I imagine there will be some performance pains to work out introducing the GTX1080 into a laptop configuration. Also availability of a desktop GTX1080 hasn't been that great either...I'm on EVGA's email list and every time I go to order they are suddenly out of stock/backordered. However the biggest barrier for me waiting on a VS or whatever the letters will be is the $$$price$$$ of these new gpu-spec'd laptops. Once I'm done with the VY I'll be ready for the GTX2080 model 😉
G74SX-DH71 | + 256GB Crucial M4 SSD , 16GB DDR3 SDRAM, Intel Centrino 6230 WiFi, Win 8 Pro
Peripherals: Steelseries Ikari laser mouse, Razer Ferox speakers, Audioengine D1 dac, Shure SRH840 headphones

Signal2Noise wrote:
Well, afaik only the GTX1070 model has been "confirmed". I imagine there will be some performance pains to work out introducing the GTX1080 into a laptop configuration. Also availability of a desktop GTX1080 hasn't been that great either...I'm on EVGA's email list and every time I go to order they are suddenly out of stock/backordered. However the biggest barrier for me waiting on a VS or whatever the letters will be is the $$$price$$$ of these new gpu-spec'd laptops. Once I'm done with the VY I'll be ready for the GTX2080 model 😉

I'm with you. No way I'd spend $5k or whatever the highly specc'd laptops are going to cost once they get the desktop GPUs. This laptop is for my overseas travel. When I get back, I don't need it anymore. Even if I did need it for years and years, there's no way any game I play would justify that kind of money haha. I play MMO's and maybe a couple of FPS. Those ran just fine on my G75VW, but I sold it to get a desktop when I got back from overseas a couple of trips ago.
"In the real world, some are destined to rehabilitate...what others strive only to destroy." - CD 2008

Gaming Rig:
ASUS G752VY-DH72
Core i7 6700HQ
32GB DDR4 RAM
GeForce GTX 980M, 4GB GDDR5
256GB PCIeG3 x4 NVMe SSD / 1TB 7200RPM HDD

Certs:
C|EH, CCNA-Security, CCNA, LPIC-1, Sec+, Net+, A+, Project+

leslie_jensen
Level 7
Gods speed and good luck down There man ! Great job you guys are doing if im right about your work

Sendt fra min SM-G900F med Tapatalk