cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Kind of Lag and Atheros WiFi Card

JRd1st
Level 12
I'm posting this so, hopefully, users with this problem will find this themselves and we volunteers won't need to suggest this possible fix so often.

If you have any kind of lag, including audio dropouts, glitchy looking online video, jerky mouse movements, freezing browser . . . that sort of thing. AND you have the Atheros WiFi/BT combo card, and you have not updated your driver for it, then:

1. Download Atheros 9.2.1.432 and extract the contents to an empty folder.

2. Uninstall your current Atheros WiFi driver, either from Control Panel >> Programs and Features (if you have it there) or from the Device Manager >> Network Adapters then right click on the Atheros Wifi and Uninstall.

3. Restart your notebook

4. When your notebook is again in Windows, run Setup.exe from the folder you extracted the driver file to.

5. Follow the prompts then restart Windows again.

Hopefully your notebook will be a bit less glitchy. At the very least, you will have a less problematic WiFi driver. 😉
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com
76 REPLIES 76

Verruckt
Level 7
Actually ASUS should just burn the Atheros Wi-Fi cards and ship these Notebooks with a decent Wi-Fi card.
ASUS G53SX
Core i7 2630QM | GTX 560M 2GB | 8GB DDR3 1333 | OCZ Vertex 3 120GB | Seagate Momentus XT 500GB
Razer Orochi | Razer Moray | Logitech X-540

wanfeilwong
Level 7
agreed, about to purchase a new wifi card now
Asus G74sx-xn1

Intel 6230 WiFi/BT | Seagate Momentus XT | Razer Orochi | Sony Ericsson MW600

wanfeilwong wrote:
agreed, about to purchase a new wifi card now

Took a month to arrive my new Intel 6230 and it doesn't work. Simply bad luck.
ASUS G53SX
Core i7 2630QM | GTX 560M 2GB | 8GB DDR3 1333 | OCZ Vertex 3 120GB | Seagate Momentus XT 500GB
Razer Orochi | Razer Moray | Logitech X-540

Retired
Not applicable
I downloaded the driver linked to, but I can't install it. I get an error message saying something to the effect of "do you have other setups running? Make sure you don't"

I'm not sure exactly what info you need from me, so please let me know

mainiack11 wrote:
I downloaded the driver linked to, but I can't install it. I get an error message saying something to the effect of "do you have other setups running? Make sure you don't"

I'm not sure exactly what info you need from me, so please let me know

Often, an installation or uninstallation require a restart in order to complete.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

hey, i've uninstalled my drivers and tried to install this version of atheros but i always get a mssg that says that it can't detect the wireless adaptor. any known solutions?

al4ddins4ne wrote:
hey, i've uninstalled my drivers and tried to install this version of atheros but i always get a mssg that says that it can't detect the wireless adaptor. any known solutions?

Are you sure you don't have an Intel WLAN card? If you're certain it's Atheros, any chance you could have disabled it in BIOS or in Windows?

You may want to get the Asus version, if you use WC3. (I think they customize drivers a little to work with that utility.) If you don't use Asus software, I wouldn't think it'll matter.

Let us know what you think of it.

BrodyBoy wrote:
You may want to get the Asus version, if you use WC3. (I think they customize drivers a little to work with that utility.) If you don't use Asus software, I wouldn't think it'll matter.

Let us know what you think of it.

Added the asus version of 9.2.1.470 to my "Drivers, Apps, and How-to's" unstuck sticky.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

...any reports on 470 yet? i am using 459, until i load my intel card, and it seems to do pretty well. but would be interested in knowing how stable 470 is with the rest of the system. thanks.
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11