cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Kind of Lag and Atheros WiFi Card

JRd1st
Level 12
I'm posting this so, hopefully, users with this problem will find this themselves and we volunteers won't need to suggest this possible fix so often.

If you have any kind of lag, including audio dropouts, glitchy looking online video, jerky mouse movements, freezing browser . . . that sort of thing. AND you have the Atheros WiFi/BT combo card, and you have not updated your driver for it, then:

1. Download Atheros 9.2.1.432 and extract the contents to an empty folder.

2. Uninstall your current Atheros WiFi driver, either from Control Panel >> Programs and Features (if you have it there) or from the Device Manager >> Network Adapters then right click on the Atheros Wifi and Uninstall.

3. Restart your notebook

4. When your notebook is again in Windows, run Setup.exe from the folder you extracted the driver file to.

5. Follow the prompts then restart Windows again.

Hopefully your notebook will be a bit less glitchy. At the very least, you will have a less problematic WiFi driver. 😉
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com
76 REPLIES 76

dstrakele
Level 14
Definitely upgrade to the 9.2.1.470 version Atheros driver. You can then check if DPC Latency still exists in your system from some other driver with DPC Latency Checker.

Keystroke misses can also be a hardware problem. Does it happen with specific keys on your laptop or is it random?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
Definitely upgrade to the 9.2.1.470 version Atheros driver. You can then check if DPC Latency still exists in your system from some other driver with DPC Latency Checker.

Keystroke misses can also be a hardware problem. Does it happen with specific keys on your laptop or is it random?

Hi, and sorry for late response. Yep, the problem is not key-specific, it's really random but it doesn't happen always. Sometimes it work flawlessly with no key miss, sometimes it drives me crazy with lots of missing keys. It's really unstable. I also get DPC red bars which might be caused by Atheros AR9285 poor driver as you said.

So, where can i download Atheros 9.2.1.470 driver as healthy? Do i need to mod its INF or install directly by running setup.exe?

Do you use the same version?

Looking forward to hearing from you, thanks!
ASUS G53JW-XA1

dstrakele
Level 14
I use Atheros version 9.2.1.470 on my G74SX, but in checking, it appears this version does not support the AR9285. If I were in your situation, I'd try the 10.0.0.75 version. It is available at http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=37&system=5, but you can also obtain it from other sites.

dstrakele wrote:
I use Atheros version 9.2.1.470 on my G74SX, but in checking, it appears this version does not support the AR9285. If I were in your situation, I'd try the 10.0.0.75 version. It is available at http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=37&system=5, but you can also obtain it from other sites.

Really not sure. I thing 9.2.1.xxx series must be compatible and i see no reason to update to 10.x.x.xxx series unless we see specific problem. Btw, since i own my G53JW for 2 years, today i get really INTRESTING and UNEXPECTED BSOD related to athrx.sys (Atheros driver) during logon for the first time, using the stock one, which have caused zero issues so far.

Any current stable and AR9285-compatible driver suggestion is really appreciated, thanks again!
ASUS G53JW-XA1

dstrakele
Level 14
ATHRX.SYS could be a victim in the BSOD, rather than a cause, particularly since you report it functioned without issue for a long time. I'd recommend troubleshooting the BSOD further. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28269-frequent-crashing-of-my-g74sx-has-recently-started-ha... for recommendations.

I also see no problem in updating the Atheros WiFi driver to the latest 10.0.0.xxx version applicable to your Wireless Adapter.

Just a note to you all after trying countless wifi drivers, dpc improvement software, turning off power management etc etc I discovered on a Win7 site that the problem was the website blocking option on Malwarebytes program. If you have this program installed just turn off the website blocking and your dpc latency checker will turn a beautiful green all the way. Hope this solves the problems of some of you.

dstrakele wrote:
ATHRX.SYS could be a victim in the BSOD, rather than a cause, particularly since you report it functioned without issue for a long time. I'd recommend troubleshooting the BSOD further. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28269-frequent-crashing-of-my-g74sx-has-recently-started-ha... for recommendations.

I also see no problem in updating the Atheros WiFi driver to the latest 10.0.0.xxx version applicable to your Wireless Adapter.

My G74SX BSOD on reboot was caused by an update I did within Device Manager to the Atheros Bluetooth Bus driver. Rolling the driver back in safe mode sorted the problem out. Hope this helps.