cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ANOTHER Keyboard Backlight issue

Retired
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

I've searched and read extensively through threads to find a solution to this, but I've come up fruitless so I'm starting another thread in hopes of some non-RMA help.

I have a G53sx laptop that is only a couple months old. A few weeks ago I accidentally broke the dc/in port; the small pin broke off inside of the plug. I had to set up an RMA and ASUS replaced the motherboard and the a/c adaptor and returned my computer today. However... now my keyboard lights don't work.

Here are the symptoms:

1. Lights do not flash at all following startup of the laptop.
2. "All Lights On" button (and the other top buttons) light up and work just fine.
3. I've tried the FN+4/3 buttons multiple times, nothing happens (no graphic on the display either)... I wish it was that simple 😞
4. All other FN hotkeys work (screen brightness, volume, etc).
5. I've tried the ATK uninstall/reinstall (since all FN keys work.. I assume it's not an issue with this).
6. I've removed the keyboard and checked out the plug. The ribbon is installed with the golden orange side faceup.
7. I've seen the fix for the G73 series but have not tried it as I am not sure if it's applicable to the G53s (I assumed it wasn't).
8. Everything else seems to be working normally.

Please help out if you can; I was lucky to have a certified Asus repair shop 30 minutes from my house (where it was repaired), but unfortunately I'm moving 6 hours away tomorrow AM so that option is mostly out of the question.

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

JRd1st
Level 12
They probably either installed the kb cable backrards, or forgot it altogether. You need to either open it to fix it (recommended) or send it in again.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Verruckt
Level 7
You using a G53?
If the problem is the cable maybe I can take some pics to help you to fix it by yourself, easiest thing ever.
ASUS G53SX
Core i7 2630QM | GTX 560M 2GB | 8GB DDR3 1333 | OCZ Vertex 3 120GB | Seagate Momentus XT 500GB
Razer Orochi | Razer Moray | Logitech X-540

Verruckt
Level 7
Nvm my last post.
Watch this video and pay attention to 2:30, the backlight cable is the gold one, try flipping it upside down or taking it off and put it on again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rklOixPa_ns
ASUS G53SX
Core i7 2630QM | GTX 560M 2GB | 8GB DDR3 1333 | OCZ Vertex 3 120GB | Seagate Momentus XT 500GB

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've removed my keyboard and taken a photo of the ribbons. This is how they are installed right now, I have not removed any of them. The backlit cable is the golden colored one and from what I've read it seems like it is installed correctly?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/Judd97/P1030575.jpg

Thanks again for the advice 🙂

Verruckt
Level 7
Well I think so, take a closer pic.
Here's a pic of how mine is:

The golden stripes must be facing up btw.
And another thing, the backlight cable is kinda an annoying cable to make it work, you gotta fit it 100% in the connector and also close the white socket to make it work.
ASUS G53SX

JRd1st
Level 12
I don't have this notebook, but aren't pull tabs supposed to face up? Isn't that thing a pull tab to make it easier to remove?
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

JRd1st wrote:
I don't have this notebook, but aren't pull tabs supposed to face up? Isn't that thing a pull tab to make it easier to remove?

Correct, I also thought about that the first time I opened this notebook and didn't pay attention to what side faces up and when I re-assembled it I left the pull tabs facing up, but it doesn't work, only works with the pull tabs facing down and the golden orange stripes facing up.
ASUS G53SX

Retired
Not applicable
I will take a more detailed photo and post it up tomorrow; I've had to drive 8 hours to a new job site today and didn't have time 😞

It seems to me like it's plugged in properly, but I'm not sure as I've never had to mess with anything like this before. Thanks again for the help!