cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

==== All you need to know about your laptop ====

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Hey there ROG'ers and a special greetings to those who're new.

Here's a small little FAQ for the G750's

Q: My laptop came only with a HDD (mechanical hard drive), can I install an SSD and move my operating system over to the new drive?

A: Yes you can, simply unscrew the back of your laptop, put the SSD in the right slot (bay 1, not 0.) and boot up the laptop. Use any cloning program like Acronis to copy the whole hard drive onto the SSD. Once finished, take the two drives out, put the SSD in the bay 0 and test it for bootup. If it doesn't work, you'll need to go into BIOS and tell the laptop that the new SSD is the default drive.

Q: My laptop is overheating.

A: Depends how you define overheating. The chips in the laptop can handle over 100*C, though of course that is too high. The general heat zone for the G750's are between 70-80*C for gaming, anything higher than 85*C of course is a worry, and 90*C+ should be RMA'ed or repasted.

Q: I see screen flickering, how can I get rid of that?

A: Create a custom resolution in the NVidia control panel > Change Resolution > Custom. Then edit your refresh rate to 75. Some screens handle up to 100, though 75 is a nice safe number with headroom. You can go higher than 75 and find the point of comfort for your screen panel. Make sure you look out for artifacts and strange color distortions so you're aware to bump it back down a little. (Chi-Mei can go up to 100, AUO is around 70-75)

Q: I have a BIOS update, should I install it?

A: Depends what BIOS you're currently on, apparently 208 is the sweet spot. Updating your BIOS seems to be risky on the G750's, though apparently it's safer to update through the BIOS Interface directly, and not on the desktop with a BIOS Update Wizard.

Q: My G750 has gaps in the screen hinge at the back.

A: It's a design flaw, there's gaps nearly everywhere. The back of the screen hinge, the left far corner near the keyboard and some times along the sides. It can't be fixed, though it won't pose an integrity problem.

Q: My keyboard's breaking, keys are falling off, and my mousepad isn't working. Can I replace it?

A: Yes you can, though you cannot replace them separately. The keyboard and touchpad are both built into the palm deck.

Q: I feel electric shocks / static on my hands when using the laptop.

A: The case is all metal, another flaw in the design, however it's safe to still use provided your charger has an earth pin. It's important to make sure the earth to your house is properly working (regardless if you have a G750 or not).

Q: My G750 lags during gaming when I unplug it from the wall.

A: That's because your dedicated GPU cannot receive the required power from the battery itself. You need to be plugged into the wall. ( The G750's are desktop replacements and not laptops, afterall. )

Q: I'm an experienced computer technician, can I open up my G750?

A: I'm sure you can, you can disassemble everything down to the motherboard and even take off the heatsink to the GPU and not avoid your warranty (possibly changes with each country). However the warranty sticker is on the CPU's screw #1. I am unsure thus far if that's the Warranty for the laptop, or the CPU itself.

Q: I bought an early G750, can I upgrade to be future proof?

A: There's limited upgrades you can do with the G750's. You can upgrade the hard drives, the wireless, the ram and that's all. The CPU is soldered onto the motherboard, but the GPU is not. Under strict circumstances can you upgrade it. You can upgrade a 765m to a 770m, however getting the 770m card will be difficult, as it's custom shaped I believe to fit. A 780m will not fit, needs a higher voltage power supply and requires a bigger case over-all.

I want to reinstall Windows, how can I do that?

You will want the latest version of Asus BackTracker, and a USB stick the size of 16gigs, no less. Running the BackTracker will backup your recovery partition, then you can boot up with the USB inside and use the BackTracker to re-install Windows to factory. (Don't forget to backup all your data, and take out your second hard drive during the reinstall, otherwise you'll lose everything.)

Q: Can I install iOS (Mac) onto my G750?

A: You sure can, there's a step by step guide right here. http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39406-ASUS-G750JX-OSX-Mavericks-INSTALL-GUIDE
10 REPLIES 10

Darnassus
Status Under Review
If anyone else would like to share some common issues, I'll update and add it here. Hopefully this'll help many users with the common problems. ;x

code9523
Level 9
Darnassus wrote:
A 780m will not fit and requires a bigger case over-all.)

I'm going to order a gtx780 and test how it will work in my g750jw. The sizes and shapes of cards are identical but 780 outputs more heat and the heatsink is bigger but I want to try running it on stock heatsink of my 765 with a liquid metal on chip for best heat output and disabling gpu boost. Do do You think it's possible?
P.S. I live in Ukraine so temp in my room is like 27C in summer and 24C in winter. So I expect a temp like 75C - 80C on gpu core.
Asus G74SX> Asus G55VW 3D> Asus G75VW 3D> Asus G750JW> Asus G750JX> Asus G750JH

Darnassus
Status Under Review
code9523 wrote:
I'm going to order a gtx780 and test how it will work in my g750jw. The sizes and shapes of cards are identical but 780 outputs more heat and the heatsink is bigger but I want to try running it on stock heatsink of my 765 with a liquid metal on chip for best heat output and disabling gpu boost. Do do You think it's possible?
P.S. I live in Ukraine so temp in my room is like 27C in summer and 24C in winter. So I expect a temp like 75C - 80C on gpu core.

I haven't actually done it myself. However if you do test it, leave feedback. If you're hoping it'll work, don't put money on it :c

code9523
Level 9
I promise I will test it and make a video! But for now I don't have money for it (780 is expensive)

code9523 wrote:
I promise I will test it and make a video! But for now I don't have money for it (780 is expensive)

code9523, cancel the order 🙂

It won't fit the cooler layout and even if it did fit it wouldn't have enough cooling. Also the power supply on the G750JW won't be enough to run the 780m. The Power Adapter for the G750JW is a 180w, while the G750JH is a 230w.

Best to just sell you G750JW + put the 780m card money into a new/used G750JH. 🙂

Darnassus
Status Under Review
hmscott wrote:
code9523, cancel the order 🙂

It won't fit the cooler layout and even if it did fit it wouldn't have enough cooling. Also the power supply on the G750JW won't be enough to run th 780m. The Power Adapter for the G750JW is a 180w, while the G750JH is a 230w.

Best to just sell you G750JW + put the 780m card money into a new/used G750JH. 🙂

Whoops, forgot to mention power supply, updated. ;d

code9523
Level 9
Ok so 780 may cause a fitting problems and a power issues! But gtx 770 should fit in to g750jw?!

Darnassus
Status Under Review
code9523 wrote:
Ok so 780 may cause a fitting problems and a power issues! But gtx 770 should fit in to g750jw?!

I suppose if you get the correct charger and possibly battery with it, then maybe yes!

beatc
Level 7
Does the g750 supports 2 TB hdd?