cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airline travel with G74SX, question about power supply

swangger
Level 7
I will be taking a long flight to China next month and I was wondering how many watts does the G74 need to run?

I will be flying on American Airline and the power limit is 75watts with 12V (or 15V) DC power support, so I am thinking about buying a inverter. If the power supply of 75watts cannot power G74, then there is no point of buying the inverter so I don't want to waste money.

A side question, if I go to the airport early, will I get a chance to check in with a seat that has power port? I booked regular economy class and only SOME seats in economy class which has power ports. Not sure if there is a distinguishment between Premium Economy class and Regular Economy class for AA though.
7 REPLIES 7

illia
Level 7
from the begging i want to say that i do not answer your question

do not complicate your life and bother about buying staff that you do not need. i understand that this is a long flight, even though fully charge your battery put a balanced settings on your laptop and it will allow you to watch 1-2 movies during your flight, after your battery run out of charge - sleep, eat, or read a book , listen music on your ipod , make friends with your neighbors.

plus , aren't people in the airplane always bitching about using laptops ?

I doubt any laptop on the planet uses more then 75W. The average is 15W to 60W.
You should be fine.
I would call the airline about making sure you get a seat with power.

And no people generally don't complain about others using laptops unless it interferes with them. A big honking 17 incher might. lol
;0
Asus Z170X + Asus GeFroce GTX Turbo 1070 +... all kinds of Asus goodies. #Fanboi

Peregrine
Level 9
I doubt any laptop on the planet uses more then 75W. The average is 15W to 60W.
You should be fine.
I would call the airline about making sure you get a seat with power.

And no people generally don't complain about others using laptops unless it interferes with them. A big honking 17 incher might. lol
;0
Asus Z170X + Asus GeFroce GTX Turbo 1070 +... all kinds of Asus goodies. #Fanboi

380mcn
Level 9
the g74 was a power adapter of 150W..
Take a look at this

Idling: 43W
Full load: 137W!

BTW, the Alienware M18x has a consumption between 50 and 305 Watt

fostert
Level 12
If you're only gonna word process, read, or do light office duties the G74 will do fine with a 75W limit. I have an 100W inverter that we run in the car during long drives across big ol' Canada, and my G74 has never tripped the overload protection on it (it can do 80W continuous,120W peak). But I don't game or do anything else heavy duty while on it (I recalculate spreadsheets alot but that only takes a few seconds each time, and the inverter can handle intermittent peak loads).
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

dstrakele
Level 14
Yep, recalculating spreadsheets is the way I like to have fun on my flight to China...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
yep, recalculating spreadsheets is the way i like to have fun on my flight to china...

lolololololol